Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290058 - 07/26/18 08:42 PM Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations.
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Hello, everyone! I used to be something of a regular here, but haven't even logged on in several years. If you remember me, I've gotten divorced and changed my name, and I first moved to the West Coast, and am now back on the East Coast. I'm working on updating my gear, and writing gear articles for my blog, and a subject has come up that tends to make me a little crazy: LED flashlights.

I'm looking for recommendations for new single AA flashlights, but I'll come back to this, because I want to rant a little about the differences between "tactical" flashlights and "utility" flashlights.

I am currently using an Inova X1 as my EDC light, which replaced my Leatherman Serac S3, mainly because I wanted a single AA flashlight. However, I can't actually recommend this light (or even the latest version of it), because of one poor design decision that renders it problematic as a utility light: when you turn it on, it defaults to high power mode, and must be shut off briefly and re-activated, for it to go into low power mode. It also means you can't activate the light with one hand, and I wish I'd understood this before purchasing it.

Flashlight manufacturers (and reviewers) all seem to be caught up in the "tactical" hype. In reality, the features that one really wants in a tactical light make that light totally unsuitable as a utility flashlight.

A tactical light is a light that is designed to be used as a weapon or to illuminate a target, and therefore should have the following features:

- Maximum possible brightness
- only one brightness level
- a lock on and lock off feature to preserve runtime and to keep the light on in the event of an accidental drop or disarm
- single-handed operation
- waterproofness enough to withstand rain exposure and possible submersion
- sturdy construction to use as a blunt weapon, if necessary, and to survive a disarm or accidental drop

A utility light, one the other hand, should have the following features:

- maximum runtime/battery life
- lowest practical brightness to preserve night vision and battery life
- always turns on in lowest output mode to preserve night vision
- at least one higher power mode for when that is needed
- single-handed operation
- waterproofness enough to withstand rain exposure and possible submersion
- sturdy construction to withstand accidental drops from at least head (2 m) height.

For the most part a true "tactical" flashlight as I've defined it is completely unsuitable as a wilderness survival tool. And when you are out in the wilderness, the last thing you want to have, if you need to use a light at night, when you are most likely to actually need a flashlight, is for it to turn on in "blind me please" mode.

Not only is this bad for your night vision, it's wasteful of battery power, since the majority of the time I need a light, I need no more than about 5 lumens of light. Almost every time I need to turn my light on, I have to shut my eyes, and cycle through the power modes to get to the lowest power setting.

My 2008 Leatherman Serac S3 (long discontinued) was nearly ideal, with 7/43/100 lumen modes, *in that order*, with runtimes of 36 hrs/4 hrs/1 hr, respectively. It's compact, about the size of a lipstick, takes a single CR123A battery, and meets all other requirements, including being not terrible to hold in my mouth. But, as it's a decade old, its regulator and LED are several generations obsoleted, and Leatherman never made a AA version. Rumor has it these were actually made by Fenix, though I don't know if that's true.

I used to be able to get Rayovac CR123A batteries at a reasonable price from Wal-Mart, but they apparently don't carry them anymore.

My 2014 Inova X1, on the other hand, is the model from a few years ago that had 80 lumen and 11 lumen modes. Inova's marketing literature for this light grossly over-exaggerates its capabilities. It has no real momentary mode to speak of, no real lock-out mode, and their claim of 70 hours runtime on low mode is patently false. Most annoyingly, it always turns on in high power mode, when what I need 99% of the time is low power mode, and it requires two hands to operate. The current version is no better.

The X1 still lives in my handbag as my EDC primarily because it is a single AA light, and I no longer carry the S3, primarily because of the expense of the batteries.

Incidentally, on a whim a couple of years ago, I bought a Bushnell 325L at Wal-Mart on sale, which is nearly a good budget tactical light. It has 325 and 39 lumen output modes, plus a 325 lumen strobe mode with 2.5 hr/25 hr/4.5 hr runtime, a lock on/off, and always defaults to high power mode. What sucks about it is that the machining of the barrel makes it extremely uncomfortable, even dangerous, to use, and its many sharp angles catch on fabric. So, I rarely use it. Mostly, it stays in my truck as a backup.

My exemplar for the tactical type is the ASP Triad series, though later versions have extraneous feature sets. Their current Turbo DF model is their single-mode tactical light.

I have one other light that I commonly use, a first generation CMG Infinity Task Light with a green LED, which has a ridiculously long 150 hr battery life, as I recall. It's very dim, but it's perfect for use at night when you need just a little light and don't want to kill your night vision or attract too much attention. That one I only use when camping.

So, having said all that, I am in the market for a new EDC single AA flashlight and a single AA headlamp for backcountry use, BUT...

while the current Fenix E12 would seem to be perfect to replace my Inova X1, having the correct sequence of low/mid/high modes like the Serac S3, the AA headlamps from Fenix are exactly the reverse! They all go high/mid/low.

I would appreciate any recommendations of single AA headlamps that operate the way I need.

#290060 - 07/26/18 09:47 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Welcome back. I would recommend the County Comm/Maratac AA Titanium Nichia Flashlight
Titanium body, 1xAA (lithium, alkaline or NiMH) battery powering a Nichia 219 (neutral white) LED emitter. My EDC includes one of those or its copper cousins in either AA or AAA.
Quote:
Low Mode, 5 lumen output for 75 Hours
Medium Mode, 50 lumen output for 4.5 Hours
High Mode, 235 lumen output for 75 Minutes

#290061 - 07/26/18 10:29 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Zebralight, all the way. I have a model using an 18650 which is just about perfect, in use daily when I read in bed before dozing off. There are several AA models as well as CR123's all of which ramp up from low to high. An AA model is always in my hiking/field pack. I have equipped the wife and darling daughter with similar models. All work quite dependably

I think "tactical"is just mall ninja/marketing hype. It seems to denote a crenelated bezel and implied use of the light as an impact weapon. I believe many, if not most, jurisdictions forbid such use.

There are lots of other decent brands as well (Nitecore, Fenix to name a couple I have used) but others as well. The general quality in headlamps and flashlights is far superior to what was generally available even twenty years ago.

#290064 - 07/27/18 12:15 AM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
FWIW... my EDC key chain light is a AAA Fenix E05 (2014) twist head, my AA pocket task light is a Solar Force Z2 (H,M,L) or Fenix E12 (L,M,H)tail click (all Eneloop powered)

my high lumen is a Solar Force 3x cr123 M3 head in an L2m body with extension

in a P60 size 18650 is a Solar Force L2m with low voltage LC XPG module... my car light is a Sure Fire P60 2x cr123 with Malkoff module

weapons light is a Sure Fire Scout

#290073 - 07/27/18 04:27 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
as a serious flashaholic, i've tried many over the last 15 years

i refuse to deal with the dangers of Li-Ions rechargeables

disposables only, for me

i currently carry thrunite Ti3 1xAAA for EDC ($13 at amazon)

sometimes a surefire 1xAAA titan-plus (300lm) when i need brighter

#290074 - 07/27/18 04:44 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: wileycoyote]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed the ThruNite Ti3 before, neutral white and firefly mode, looks good.

#290076 - 07/27/18 09:14 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: hikermor]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

The Zebralight models all seem to default to high power mode. This is exactly what I do not want.

#290077 - 07/27/18 09:21 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: Russ]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks. I looked at the YouTube video for the Rev 1 AA, and the switch does go low/med/high. I hope that still holds true for the Rev 2 model.

#290078 - 07/27/18 09:49 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
i refuse to deal with the dangers of Li-Ions rechargeables

I respect this position.

My choice has been to run rechargeables for most uses -- with a big exception being flashlights in kits, where they're subject to long-term storage and often in less than ideal temperature conditions.

LiOn rechargeables, for me, are always used in a single-cell configuration (no devices with multiple cells) and are only recharged under supervision in a quality charger. The idea behind supervision is to put the fire out quickly if one should start.

That's what works for me; "primary cells only" is an excellent choice that is very safe as long as new and used cells aren't mixed.

#290079 - 07/27/18 09:55 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

So far, from what I'm seeing, it looks like the ThruNite lights (TH20 headlamp, Archer 1A v3, and T10 XP-L) might be what I'm looking for. I'm a little unclear on the precise switching mechanism, but their "firefly" mode is attractive.

I wish the T10 had something between firefly and 13 lumens, and something between 13 lumens and 252 lumens, though. 13 lumens is good for walking the trail, but too bright for non-task use. I almost never need a 252 lumen utility light. Something around 80-100 lumens is better for battery life and bright enough for most things.

#290080 - 07/27/18 09:57 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

I am still baffled by these designers who make a light default to high power mode. There are no situations in which I can imagine anyone in need of a general purpose utility light would ever want it to turn on in the brightest mode.

#290081 - 07/27/18 10:18 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The zebralight UI is complex. They generally will turn on to the level last used. But if you press the button and hold, they ramp from low to mid to high. You can adjust the intensities of the mid and high levels. And somewhere in there are strobes and SOS modes, barely useful.

Mostly what I care about - when I hit the button, there is light. Fiat lux!

When I activate mine, i simply hold the button until I get to the mid level - great for reading at night. When caving, the high beam is frequently useful, as is the very lowest level. It is nice to have the variable levels and it is good to see that as a common feature.

There have been plenty of occasions where I have wanted all the light possible, and right away. And i am a fan of using adapted night vision as much as possible, with minimal artificial lighting - often none at all with a starry sky or moon out.

Edited by hikermor (07/27/18 10:26 PM)

#290083 - 07/27/18 11:29 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: amper
Thanks. I looked at the YouTube video for the Rev 1 AA, and the switch does go low/med/high. I hope that still holds true for the Rev 2 model.

It does. For some reason, the CC Maratac AAA lights start at Medium, then Low, then High. The AA lights start at Low, then Medium, then High.

I’m like you, I prefer the light to start at Low when it’s dark. For that reason the CC Maratac AA lights with the Nichia 219 (warmer-neutral) work well. The latest AA Ti uses a Nichia 219BT, and the word “cool” is in the description (as in “Whiter / True Color - Neutral White - Cool”), but so is neutral, so I don’t know what that means. I have the previous version.

#290085 - 07/28/18 01:48 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
--whoops-- I just re-read your post and noticed you want a AA battery and my recommendation below is AAA. I will leave the post anyway.
----------

I prefer a fenix E05. Now about $20 or less. Runs on one AAA cell and is not much bigger than the AAA cell.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/e05-fenix-flashlight/

Setting Lumens run time
Low 8 15h
Medium 25 4h 15min
High 85 45min

I have carried this light for years and have found it to be well suited to my needs. It has a twisty tail turn on, which many folks do not like. However it find it very reliable and although not as convenient as a push switch, it has not failed in years of constant carry/use.

I use enloop rechargeables which I swap for a fresh one at least once a week just cause it is easy to do and that way I have a fully charged light.

I find the low setting (default at turn on) to be more than adequate although sometimes I put my finger over most of the lens to reduce output w hen I need a very low light level like when using it close to others who are sleeping.

The high power setting is enough for most "need a bright light" applications. This light will get me to my stash of really high powered lights should I need one.

It rides on my key ring, attached with a small "S" 'biner which makes it very easy to remove. I added a pocket clip which I use to clip it to the brim of my hat when I need a headlamp.

On medium power it is bright enough for me to use as a headlight when riding my bike at night.

Bottom line is that for me, it has performed very well over several years and has become so much a part of my EDC that I am never without it. I have several stashed in various kits.

Nomad

Edited by Nomad (07/28/18 01:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Noticed OP looking for AA, not AAA.

#290087 - 07/28/18 04:21 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Welcome back...

I KNOW this doesn't 'meet' all your criteria but I EDC a minimag solitaire. Yes I know AAA and only one level (approx)35 lumen.

I have found it to be VERY suitable for the EDC roll it plays for me. PLENTY of light to work by. VERY compact. VERY affordable (about $15). Easy to obtain (Walmart/Target etc). Standard size battery.

I've been using (I don't abuse but I'm NOT gentle) it for several years now... I REALLY like it.

Just my 2c.

#290088 - 07/29/18 01:19 AM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Welcome back. My EDC flashlights are key chain carried. Main light is a Fenix EO5 with a lithium battery. Back-up ( two is one, etc...) is a Photon Freedom with a yellow LED, carried backwards in its neck dangler, to prevent accidental “on”. This combo has been my “ go to” for many years in a highly urban environment.

Like you, I also keep handy, an Infinity Light, albeit a later Gerber version. I use mine i at home, at night, when I don’t want to light up the room or for various in-home chores. With a lithium battery, it lasts for 6+ months of daily intermittent use, at a minimum. NB: if you ball-up a bit of aluminum foil as a filler, the Infinity will run on a AAA battery.

#290095 - 07/30/18 04:01 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: acropolis5]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
+1 Acropolis

Primary also Fenix E05 (one on each keychain)

Found a neat little Fenix UC02 that is on my work lanyard rechargeabel via USB, 35 minutes on high (130 lumen) # hrs 50 min on low (10 lumen); only 1 inch long.

I have an E01 in my winter coat too...

#290096 - 07/30/18 08:30 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: CJK]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

I gave up on Mag-Lites after the switch on the AA LED unit I bought stop working. I do have one old AA unit in a toolbox, and I did have another with a Nite-Ize upgrade pack and tail switch, but I left it at a friend's place in CA.

But my bigger issue with Mag-Lites is their low runtime, because they lack effective regulators.

#290097 - 07/30/18 08:30 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: hikermor]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

I checked Zebralight's specs for every model that seemed to be in the class I want, and all of them went hi/med/low.

#290098 - 07/30/18 08:48 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
But my bigger issue with Mag-Lites is their low runtime, because they lack effective regulators.

I haven't had that problem. I get eighty hours of 168 lumens from my MAG-LITE.

http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#290105 - 07/30/18 10:11 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

That's a 3 D-cell flashlight. I'm looking for a single AA cell flashlight, which, A)Mag Instrument doesn't make, and 2)have you looked at the runtime specs on their 2xAA models?

(edit: It looks like Mag has finally put decent regulators in their flashlights. Their runtimes used to be in the area of a couple of hours.)

Edited by amper (07/30/18 10:13 PM)

#290107 - 07/30/18 10:16 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
That's a 3 D-cell flashlight.

Correct. I EDC a 2 Cell since the 3 Cell is a bit big.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.