Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290008 - 07/23/18 09:12 PM Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

In the interests of learning and providing information, this thread will address storage concerns, methods, limitations and the storage life of supplies and materials.

For general storage of anything time, material, location, conditions are all important. Any material will break down given enough time, but temperatures, temperature fluctuations, moisture, radiation, physical damage and pests can drastically shorten the time that a material remains viable. We all store kits and supplies in our vehicles and homes to keep them available for use in an emergency situation. Some materials will last longer than others, and there are storage methods which can prolong that shelf life, even of those materials that may have a shorter span of viability.

Key things that we store:

First Aid Kits

Survival Kits

Food

Water

Gear

Medicins

Batteries

Electronic Devices

Storage Methods:

Waterproofing

Vacuum Sealing

Insulation

Padding or Hard Shell

Desiccant

Oil/Grease

Please add and discuss, this is just to get things started for what I think could be a very helpful thread.

#290010 - 07/23/18 10:07 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Let me jump right in and make a big splash by talking about water storage. Like most of us, I have ready access to municipal water and use it routinely, but there have been interruptions from time to time, including a recent huge wildfire that triggered such a high demand on the system that faucets in many homes were dry. Water storage is a good thing. I am prepping for a big earthquake when water supply will be problematical for an extended period.

First line are water containers containing 15 liters each, opaque and BPA free - commercial products I obtained for a recent field project. My most numerous containers are recycled three liter water bottles (Mrs. Hikermor insists on bottled water for her tea) so I use those to store tap water. They are recycle category 1 (PET)which has low leach potential. They are cheap, and fairly easy to handle. I have at least thirty or so stashed in various locations - they do stack readily up to three high, which is nice.

Another favorite are recycled sport drink bottles, mostly Gatorade - also PET. And then there are canteens, mostly the dozen or so 32 oz Nalgenes, which are always stored full.

I keep all containers, especially the clear ones, out of sunlight and in various locations, including our vehicles. My climate is fairly mild, so I am not concerned about freezing or really hot temperatures.

BPA does not concern me, especially after reading the WebMD discussion of this subject. With pregnant women and very young children, my attitude might be somewhat different, but there are far worse things that might affect older humans. (Yo soy muy viejo.)

I have not recycled on any kind of regular basis, but I have recently had to move a water stash out of an outbuilding we are planning to tear down (we are racing the termites!!) and those bottles, kept in the dark, looked absolutely fine. If I used their contents, I would probably boil the water first.

Many sources advocate adding chlorine bleach to stored water, but my tap water is already so treated, so I don't bother.

During decades of climbing and hiking in the American Southwest, i have had misadventures where, for one reason or another, I was short on water. Consequently, I have obtained and used, water from some very questionable sources. I have never had a problem resulting from that use. When in doubt, boil if you can. if you can't drink up. Once you return to town, your illness can be cured, but you have to get there first.

So, use recycled plastic bottles (avoid plastic categories 3 and 7, per Web MD). Store them out of sunlight, or any bright light. Refresh contents, if you like, and store plenty. you will never have enough.

One other thing - my bottles stored in our shed acquired a rather disgusting film of dirt and dust. This time around. I am placing sheet plastic over the bottle stash. That cover will come in handy in many ways when the earth moves, or whatever.

Comments - questions??

Edited by hikermor (07/24/18 03:15 AM)

#290014 - 07/24/18 12:46 AM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Most of my storage is in the house. Space is an issue. I have three first aid kits in identical cases. They stack up neatly on the floor, next to my bed. On top of those, I have the bag I've been customizing, the one I will bring with me if we bugout. For that one, it has to be comprehensive for its size.

I have cases of water stacked on the floor, also in my bedroom. There is no other place to put them.

One thing I have done as I work on what to bring if I bugout permanently is to decide what is left behind and what I carry.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290015 - 07/24/18 01:52 AM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

For water storage I use 5 and 8 gallon containers. I rotate them at least yearly, and clean them with bleach and dry them before refilling. I do keep some liquid bleach on hand, and rotate those bottles regularly (annually). I am still prepared to purify the water from these if necessary by multiple methods. I have not stored any chlorine pool chemicals, but have thought about it. Dry keeps longer than solutions or liquids.

That goes for everything stored, dry goods and medicines will keep much longer. Solutions and creams will degrade with time. Dry medicines will also, but we are talking years, and they do not go bad, only lose strength.

Direct sunlight will degrade most materials fairly quickly, especially plastics and synthetics. Everything should be protected from sunlight when stored for extended periods. I once opened a military triangular bandage that had been sitting in the sun in a hot vehicle for a long time (unknown length of time), and it was literally powder. The package was still sealed.

Oxygen and moisture are also enemies of long term storage. Vacuum sealing when possible is good for just about anything. Desiccants are helpful in containers that can be sealed.

Other than protecting from moisture, I am not sure about electronics and batteries. I do keep lithiums for storage and they do need to stay dry. Is there anything special you can do for electronics that are being stored?

#290016 - 07/24/18 03:12 AM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

The above is a summation of manufacturer's recommendations for battery storage. I use rechargeables almost exclusively, both Minh and lithium-ion, and I try and keep them dry, cool, and used in regular rotation.

I had terrible luck trying to store alkaline batteries in the frige - they always leaked, spoiling the ice cream and cherry pie.

#290018 - 07/24/18 01:09 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
You could conformal coat electronics if they aren't already. Would provide some moisture protection.

Potting is more extreme, were use special epoxy to encapsulate the electronics. Not many flash light manufacturers do it.

US based Pflexpro takes Convoy flashlights made in China, and one of the mods they do is to pot the electronics.

https://www.pflexpro.com/Potted-Flashlight-and-P60-Drop-In-s/1841.htm

PS Not associated nor a customer (I'm in EU) of Pflexpro, but they seem pretty well thought of in the flashlight communities online.

#290019 - 07/24/18 01:33 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Good information Ren. this type of information is exactly what I was looking for with this thread. While not necessarily storage, it makes a necessary tool more durable. it is also something that I was not aware of before.

#290023 - 07/24/18 06:57 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Insulation: If you are placing things in your car in a hot environment, there is no question about needing insulation. Extreme heat will break down just about anything you store there given enough time. Any insulation will help make the items last longer, the more insulation you use, the more time it gives you for viability of the supplies and materials store this way. But even if you are keeping a first aid kit in your car during the day, you need to insulate it. It may not suffer ill effects after just one day, but it will degrade faster without the insulation. If you are not removing the supplies at all, multiple layers will give you more time. Every layer will help, the better insulated the layer, the more it helps.

If you are using a car for long term storage, keeping the car out of direct sunlight will help tremendously. As everyone knows, the passenger compartment of a car in direct sunlight is like a greenhouse. If you can park in a covered garage or in the shade of a building it will reduce the temperature range that you must contend with. The trunk is better than the passenger compartment as it does not have windows that will allow direct solar radiation to penetrate. If you can't park in an area that is shaded all day, pay attention to cardinal directions and your location on the planet. In the northern hemisphere the North side of things will get much less sunlight, having shade for longer periods of the day.

Insulating your water also makes it much more palatable. I spent some time outdoors in the Southwest when the temperatures were 116 degrees, and I was in direct sunlight. My plastic Nalgene bottles allowed the sunlight to penetrate and my water was hot enough to make coffee or tea. My single wall stainless steel bottle stayed cool. An insulated bottle still had ice in it after walking for 3 hours. When you are thirsty in a hot environment you don't want to drink water that is hotter than the environment you are in.

#290024 - 07/24/18 07:44 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
A car is pretty harsh environment.

Can use the old method of canvas waterbags, tied to outside of the vehicle to evaporatively cool water whilst moving.

Other than insulation, all can think of is a Engel http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/ style fridge/freezer with a solar panel.

They claim one of their 40L fridges can be powered by their 60w panel directly (without battery).

#290025 - 07/24/18 08:02 PM Re: Storage for Emergency Preparedness and Survival [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Food:(One of my favorite topics) - Basically, we store what we eat and eat what we store. I tend to purchase staples(rolled oats, flour, etc) in the large packages favored by big box stores. I am not compulsive enough to keep a detailed inventory, but I am confident we could do three - four weeks living off of what is in stock on a normal basis

I do lay in a supply of canned foods of various varieties, especially meat stews and veggies. Those tend to keep quite well if stored out of sunlight and at reasonable temps. I do keep a quantity of freeze dried meals on hand for backpacking trips and the like, where weight is critical.

I know many people rely of FD for emergency use, but I wonder where will they get the necessary water to rehydrate their goodies? FD stuff, light weight and delicious as it is, is most useful in locations where water is plentiful. If you have to pack rehydration water, you haven't gained a thing. Hence, my reliance on canned goods (water is included and the price is right!). Many grocery store products (dried potatoes, dried milk, mac and cheese, etc) are quite suitable for light weight situations and are reasonably priced, as well. i have a lot of that stuff as well.

I also keep on hand a plentiful supply of wrapper foods - candy bar size snacks with better nutrition than the usual candy bar. These are great when you are moving fast and don't want to stop and prepare a meal. Just shuck the wrapper and chow down...

The best of these is something called a Tanka Bar, produced on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. It is a bar comprised of buffalo meat and fruit (cranberries, I think). It is tasty, nutritious (70 grams of protein), but rather expensive. It keeps forever. I have eaten bars nine years past their "sell by" date and they were fine. Made in America, from native American animals, by Native Americans!! There are a lot of "tear open and eat" products like this on the market, but I haven't found anything else that is really any better than the fig newton bars available in any grocery store.

I don't worry too much about 'sell by" dates. I believe the producers only guarantee full flavor and taste; edibility will extend far into the future. Aging Clif bars, for example, are a bit dry, but still as tasty (?) as ever....

This season Mrs. Hikermor and I have begun growing more of our food in small plots around our house and that is turning out very well. We added tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and sunflowers to our existing orange and avocado trees and our black berry bush. While hardly something you could count on in many disasters, I feel we can grow more of our own food and experience superior nutrition real cheap. I am a huge fan of our home grown broccoli, something I never would have predicted....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.