Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29000 - 07/09/04 05:32 PM Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
norad45 Offline
Veteran

While hunting or hiking I always carry a survival kit, but I include very few OTC medications: mainly aspirin, Ibuprophin, and some Immodium. Last fall the son of a hunting partner got stung on the neck by a Yellow Jacket (hornet). He did not have an allergic reaction; we simply made a poultice from an aspirin and that seemed to help (maybe a placebo effect?)
My question is this: would administering Benadryl have helped quell or slow down an allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) if he had had one? If it wouldn't help then I won't carry it since minor sniffles are not something I worry about with my kits. But if there is a real medical benefit then I will add it. Comments anyone?

Regards, Vince

Edited by norad45 (07/09/04 05:38 PM)

#29001 - 07/09/04 06:11 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
It could help but even better is an epi-pen. Now here comes the disclaimer I'm not a doctor but I have basic first aid training. First consult your doctor epi-pens needs to be prescribed by a doctor and they must be administered properly. My wife is allergic to bees and we spend a lot of time in the woods. For us the epi-pen and some back up benedryl are important.

I should also mention that you need to seek medical attention immediately if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.

#29002 - 07/09/04 06:12 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Benadryl helps for:

Itchy Watery Eyes
Runny Nose
Sneezing
Itchy Throat
Nasal/Sinus Congestion
Nasal/Sinus Pressure
Sinus Pain
Sinus Headache
Headache
Fever
Sore Throat

It is besically a histamine blocker which unfortunately also is a sedative. It will only work to certain extent. First of all you have to make sure that airway is open so he can take a tablet. If he is in severe allergic reaction oral benadryl is useless. In medical field benadryl is used as an adjunct to Epinephrine treatment and form that we use is liquid for IV or IM injection.

Now if you are suffering a minor discomfort in form of sign and symptoms described on top of this reply that benadryl will work. But if you just swell up like a baloon and cant breathe unfrotunatelly more serious theraphy is advised including agresive airway managment and epi treatment.

Also benadryl has an atropine like action which may trigger asthma attack.It causes drowsiness and that may be something you don't want if you are getting out of place where full attention is needed. SInce it also opens you up but speeds up your heart you have to be carefull not to bottom somebody out which means drop their blood pressure below minimum and make sure they are warm since increase in circulation will cool your body faster.

Now above is probably more than you wanted to know. If you have space in your bag throw it in. Most likely person will know what they are allergic to and be prepared. I've seen benadryl making a difference when it changed a horrible trip to a decent one by pluging somebodys nose and clearing up their eyes.

Also make sure that somebody who you are going to give it to is not alregic to it or other anti histamines.

Matt

#29003 - 07/09/04 06:26 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Epi pen is prescription only. You can't get one just in case. And if there is a crazy doc out there who will give you one it will be for you only. Now if you use your epi pen on your friend or a starnger you are accepting a lot of responsibility upon yourself. Now if you really want epi pen and have no prescrition hop over the border to Mexico or fly to Peru and you can get them there. But I will agree with you that this is the best treatment for severe anaphilaptic reaction.

Matt

Edited by Polak187 (07/09/04 06:39 PM)

#29004 - 07/09/04 07:19 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
In the world of x-ray we treat anaphalactic reactions fairly often ( from contrast media). Foir minor or moderate reactions we give Oral Benadryl first. For more severe reactions we give IV Benadryl and usually other meds as well. Benadryl is in all my FAKs. Benadryl has a tendancy to make some people sleepy, but that can be OK in some situations.

#29005 - 07/09/04 08:12 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
It's worth talking to your doctor about prescribing an epi-pen if you have some family members that have known allergy's. My wife's father almost died from a bee sting.

#29006 - 07/10/04 04:25 AM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
The laws will vary from place to place but I believe that a doctor will (sometimes, especially if he knows and trusts you) give you a prescription for some medications if you are taking a group of people on a back-country or remote country expedition.

As a first-aider (in Canada), I can administer prescription medications under the supervision of a doctor; this can include being in telephone or radio contact.

However, from talking to a couple of fellow first-aid volunteers who are severely allergic to insect stings (and are therefore much more knowledgeable about this than I am), almost no two people will react the same to epi-pens. The more often you've been stung, the less time you have to react and the less effective the epi-pen will be. One woman I know keeps her epi-pen clipped to the outside of her jacket (in such a way that if the clip breaks, it will fall inside the jacket and not on the ground) because she won't have time to fumble for it if she gets stung; she also makes sure that anyone she's travelling with knows how to use it, and she carries a letter inside the case that essentially waives any right to sue if someone gives her an epi-pen injection when she's unconscious - her condition is that serious. Another carries 4 epi-pens on the trail, because each one is only good for 15 minutes.

My understanding is that you can also administer medication to a member of your group if (1) you have a written letter of permission from that person (or their legal guardian, if applicable) and (2) have been specifically trained in administering that particular medication to that specific individual - preferably signed off by that individual's family doctor.

#29007 - 07/10/04 08:20 AM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??
rkt88edmo Offline

Loc: California
Speaking of Epi-Pen, I just saw a commercial for the trademarked "Epi-Pen" on TV for the first time and wondered why they are beginning to advertise. Is their patent running out and they are trying to build their brand name before the generics jump in? or are they just the latest company to try and up sales via direct marketing to consumers? or is this just another new market opening up because of renewed 'adventure travel/adventure sports' interest in the USA?

#29008 - 07/11/04 12:31 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Thanks to all who replied. It sounds like the general concensus might be to go ahead and carry some but not to rely on it to help a severe reaction.
Regards, Vince

#29009 - 08/19/04 10:42 PM Re: Should I carry Benadryl in my PSK? (Medical ??)
uw89 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I agree to adding this to my kit. I wish I had some in my FAK, as this last weekend, my wife was stung on the first day of our camping trip and it really put a damper on the weekend. She had a minor reaction (her sister is deathly allergic and does carry an epi-pen BTW), and her ankle swelled up a bit. Someone told me that there is a spray benadryl for topical application. I think they make a cream, but I haven’t checked the stores to see if this is true. I think I’ll look before my next camping trip though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.