Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#289879 - 07/14/18 03:38 AM New gadget to add to your medical kit
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
A worthwhile addition if you're a Paramedic or other medically trained person.

https://www.alivecor.com/

I have one. For $99, it's quite the gadget. It records high quality Lead I ECG's. You can also do Lead II and one of the chest leads (V6?) with the device, but it appears quite inconvenient to do so. Lead I is a cinch however. Saves recordings locally (on your cellphone) for your review. Creates very nice PDF's from them. Allows you to email them wherever you want. You don't have to pay anything beyond the $99 device cost, but you can buy additional subscription services - like to store your recordings up int he cloud, have a clinician interpret them for you, etc. The gadget can only diagnose A-fib locally, but that's of no consequence if you're trained and able to diagnose an ECG on your own (that's what I do - I'm an expired Paramedic).

The device interfaces to your iPhone or Android phone/tablet via high frequency audio (uses the microphone on your cellphone). So you don't have to Bluetooth pair it. Just place the device within a foot of your cellphone. Note: Not every cellphone/tablet will be compatible with it. Depends on the microphone, etc. For example, I have an old iPhone 5S that works perfectly, but a new Kindle Fire HD8 tablet that does not. The manufacturer publishes a list of compatible devices, and you can always just try it with others to see if it works. If not, you can return it within 30 days.

I'm not affiliated with this company ... just happy with their product. It was recommended to me by one of my ER physician friends (who has one himself). And also by an Electrophysiology Cardiologist. The device is mostly marketed to the non-trained who would then send their recordings to their physician for interpretation. But I think it's even greater for Paramedics and such. Can't hardly go wrong for only $99. They have a more expensive iOS version that interfaces with other Apple gadgets (SmartWatch and such). But you can use the $99 model with iPhones, you don't need to get the fancy model.

#289881 - 07/14/18 12:40 PM Re: New gadget to add to your medical kit [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you very much for this info!! I am at the stage in life where I have A-fib issues; I received an implant for a-fib detection a few years ago and I was just told it needs replacement. This looks like an interesting alternative (even cheaper - will wonders never cease...)

#289981 - 07/20/18 12:05 AM Re: New gadget to add to your medical kit [Re: haertig]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
An "expired paramedic".....can you tell me what I have to look forward to? LOL

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.