The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#289495 - 06/20/18 12:33 PM Customizing Your Medical Kit
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yesterday I received my Home & Vehicle Plus Kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01375/home-vehicle-plus-kit.html

Here is a list of what it comes with, straight from the factory:

MEDICAL INFORMATION
(1) Emergency First Aid Pocket Guide

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(1) Hand Sanitizer, 1 oz.
(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case
(12) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe
(4) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(4) Respirator Mask
(8) Nitrile Glove

BLEEDING
(1) SWAT-T Tourniquet
(1) QuikClot, 25 g
(2) Trauma Bandage, 4"
(2) Compressed Gauze

WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(1) CoFlex LF2, 2" x 5 yd.
(6) Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 4"
(3) Burn Jel, 3.5 g
(1) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(1) Cloth Tape, 1" x 10 yd.
(12) Antiseptic Towelettes
(2) Benzoin Swabsticks
(2) Oval Eye Pad
(2) Petroleum Gauze, 3" x 9"
(2) Povidone-Iodine, 22 mL
(2) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(6) Cotton Tipped Applicator, 6"
(6) Sterile Gauze Pad, 4" x 4"

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Disposable Cold Pack
(1) Disposable Heat Pack
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 4" x 4.5 yd.
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36"
(2) Triangular Bandage

MEDICATION
(1) Dentemp
(1) Eye Wash, 4 oz.
(2) Glucose, 15 g
(12) Acetaminophen, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(12) Aspirin, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(12) Diamode, 1/pk (Anti-diarrheal)
(12) Diotame, 2/pk (Stomach)
(12) Diphen, 1/pk (Antihistamine)
(12) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Hydrocortisone 1% Creme, 1.5 g
(6) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(2) Hydration Powder
(2) Oral Rehydration Salts
(1) Insect Bite Treatment

INSTRUMENTS
(1) Catheter Tip, 18G
(1) Digital Thermometer
(1) EMT Shears, 7.25"
(1) Irrigation Syringe, 20 mL Luer Lock Tip
(1) Tweezers
(3) Safety Pins, 2"
(1) Disposable Penlight
(1) Flat Duct Tape, 1.89" x 2 yd.

I swapped the Emergency First Aid Pocket Guide with Wilderness & Travel Medicine. And I ordered the Bear Claw Glove Kit to replace the standard issued nitril gloves.

https://www.narescue.com/adventure-rescue-products/bear-claw-glove-kit

I have ideas for additional upgrades such as getting a Bolin Chest Seal, wound seal, two nasopharyngeal airways with lube (28 Fr), 4" x 16" burn dressing, activated charcoal, Tactical Combat Casualty Reference Card, two Tactical Combat Casualty Care Cards, permanent marker and replacing the SWAT Tourniquet with a C-A-T. What I am not sure of is the Combat Eye Shield.

https://www.chinookmed.com/item/500720/h-h-medical-combat-eye-shield/1.html

The kit comes standard with oval eye pads. What I want to know is, would the Combat Eye Shields make a difference or are they no better than the oval eye pads?

I welcome suggestions for more modifications.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289496 - 06/20/18 01:04 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would find space for a stethoscope and BP cuff - it is a really good idea to diagnose before treatment and a careful patient survey, right at the start, is crucial. Often an obvious traumatic injury directs attention away from a more serious, but less obvious, problem (bloody arm fracture vs. potential spinal/cervical FX).

Some sort of notebook, writing instrument to record symptoms, times, and progression. This will be much appreciated as you hand off the victim for further care. OTOH, this happens so rarely, they may not know how to deal with it.

So much is situational. you would want different meds if dealing with high altitude problems, but that is probably not an issue in Florida.

You can never have too many sterile pads or kling wrap....

I don't see anything for CPR - a face mask for that purpose is not absolutely critical, but it is quite useful.

#289497 - 06/20/18 01:37 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would find space for a stethoscope and BP cuff - it is a really good idea to diagnose before treatment and a careful patient survey, right at the start, is crucial. Often an obvious traumatic injury directs attention away from a more serious, but less obvious, problem (bloody arm fracture vs. potential spinal/cervical FX).

I'm not confident I can squeeze the C-A-T in there. There's definitely no room for a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff.

Some sort of notebook, writing instrument to record symptoms, times, and progression. This will be much appreciated as you hand off the victim for further care. OTOH, this happens so rarely, they may not know how to deal with it.

I included that in my suggested upgrades.

So much is situational. you would want different meds if dealing with high altitude problems, but that is probably not an issue in Florida.

Even when I bug out, I will not be in a high altitude.

I don't see anything for CPR - a face mask for that purpose is not absolutely critical, but it is quite useful.

I have it listed in the standard equipment.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289498 - 06/20/18 02:44 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You mentioned adding nasopharyngeal airways, I would recommend oropharyngeal airways in addition (or as a replacement). They both have their pros and cons, and may be considered interchangeable (in most cases). However, in many years being a paramedic, I often times used oral airways and never once used a nasal one, although both types of airways (and more advanced ones too) were stocked on the ambulance. Just sayin' ...

#289506 - 06/20/18 04:52 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Who says the BP cuff and steth have to be inside the "official' container? As long as they are accessible and handy, they are available for use. That is what is important.

It all comes down to the situation in which events occur. My experience involved disabling trauma of various sorts, usually FX of various sorts and care for periods of two hours to a day or so. I eventually carried the cuff and steth, a couple of splints, a fairly small standard FAK, sterile pads, and improvisation. If I could have added more, it would have been along the lines of IV administration (both training and gear). We had many situations where IVs made a huge difference in outcome.

If you need to make space within the bag, I would remove some specialized items like the eye shields and chest seals (never used in my experience and easily improvised). I could even remove all tourniquets and the Quik Clot, based on experience.

I get the impression that you are preparing for shooting incidents, probably a wise idea if you are close to a school these days, and the kind of trauma inflicted by projectiles would dictate different modes and gear for treatment. It all comes down to the situation.

Leave books and manuals out of the bag. You won't have time to read them during an incident. Thumbing through a book does not inspire patient confidence (which actually is rather significant).

One last thing. for lighting, the kit has a disposable penlight. I trust you have readily available a good, really good headlamp, with varying intensities up to at least 500 or so lumens. Darkness and medical emergencies go together like ham and eggs. your hands will be busy dealing with problems of various sorts.

Edited by hikermor (06/20/18 05:05 PM)

#289510 - 06/20/18 05:48 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Who says the BP cuff and steth have to be inside the "official' container? As long as they are accessible and handy, they are available for use. That is what is important.

Where else would I store them?

If I could have added more, it would have been along the lines of IV administration (both training and gear). We had many situations where IVs made a huge difference in outcome.

I have personal experiences on the importance of an I.V. If there wear a way for a non-professional to get everything needed, I will find a way to get the training.

If you need to make space within the bag, I would remove some specialized items like the eye shields and chest seals (never used in my experience and easily improvised). I could even remove all tourniquets and the Quik Clot, based on experience.

I was asking if I should get eye shields. Chest seals are so thin that I don't have to worry about space. I'm not sure I can get the C-A-T in the bag; if I cant, I'll stay with the SWAT which does not take much room.

Leave books and manuals out of the bag. You won't have time to read them during an incident. Thumbing through a book does not inspire patient confidence (which actually is rather significant).

If I come to a situation I'm not experienced in, I would rather have the book than not. I read and practiced enough I can handle a lot of everyday situations. The only time I needed to reference something immediately after an incident was the first time I burned myself in the kitchen.

One last thing. for lighting, the kit has a disposable penlight. I trust you have readily available a good, really good headlamp, with varying intensities up to at least 500 or so lumens. Darkness and medical emergencies go together like ham and eggs. your hands will be busy dealing with problems of various sorts.

I don't have a headlamp.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289517 - 06/20/18 08:21 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
30 plus as a field medic. I've said before... I've NEVER in ll that time used or have properly seen used a tourniquet. The NPA (NasoPharyngeal Airway) I have repeatedly used. If you are using the OPA (OroPharyngeal Airway) in a situation as bad as bugging out....well my thoughts are these...if you KNOW you are going to be getting 'definitive' care SOON then the OPA is a good short term airway. We only really use them in cardiac arrests and even that is seldom used any more for the preference of the LMA (Laryngeal Mask Airway). You NEED definitive care. If you are in a 'bug out' situation then the LMA and OPA is really a 'last ditch' before pronouncing. Both of them also have a 'bad' 'side effect'....they can stimulate the gag reflex (in non dead patients).

The NPA is good and tolerated well (relatively) in conscious patients. Again though...if I NEED an adjunct to help maintain an airway......the patient NEEDS definitive care....not me.

LMAs are considered a basic airway for my department though American Heart considers them as advanced.

#289518 - 06/20/18 08:24 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
As for the IV..... to me that is a BIG....I emphasize "BIG"... thing! That is the type of thing that can REALLY turn a bad situation around to good. Severe dehydration from numerous sources can be stopped. My wife and I survived Norovirus (God help anyone who gets it) because of IV therapy.

To me IV fluid replacement is a fantastic thing to know.

#289519 - 06/20/18 08:32 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: CJK]
Carpal Tunnel

Two votes against getting the C-A-T.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289520 - 06/20/18 08:35 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: CJK]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CJK
As for the IV..... to me that is a BIG....I emphasize "BIG"... thing! That is the type of thing that can REALLY turn a bad situation around to good. Severe dehydration from numerous sources can be stopped. My wife and I survived Norovirus (God help anyone who gets it) because of IV therapy.

To me IV fluid replacement is a fantastic thing to know.

Is there any way a nonprofessional could get it?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.