Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#289597 - 06/23/18 08:30 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I ordered the Bear Claw Glove Kit to replace the standard issued nitril gloves.

https://www.narescue.com/adventure-rescue-products/bear-claw-glove-kit

I have ideas for additional upgrades such as getting a Bolin Chest Seal, wound seal, two nasopharyngeal airways with lube (28 Fr), 4" x 16" burn dressing, activated charcoal, Tactical Combat Casualty Reference Card, two Tactical Combat Casualty Care Cards, permanent marker and replacing the SWAT Tourniquet with a C-A-T.

I received the Bear Claws. Before I switched out the gloves, I sacrificed a pair by trying it out. I ordered the size I normally wear and according to the label, that is what I received; when I tried on a pair, they were a tag snug. I don't have big hands. I don't know what happened.

They are thicker than even other quality gloves I use. In spite of the tight squeeze, I could still get them on my hands. I don't know if that will be a problem. I replaced the eight gloves in my kit with four glove kits.

I have a clearer direction on how I want to further modify this kit. I'll order the supplies later.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289656 - 06/26/18 01:21 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I really wanted stretch gauze in my medical kit, specifically two rolls; in previous attempts, I could not get two in there. I did some rearranging and was able to get them in the pocket that holds most of the wound/blister/burn items. Doing so means removing the antiseptic towelettes. Povidone-Iodine prep pads are much thinner. I will be using those instead.

One thing that bugged me is how it was organized. The cloth tape, CoFlex and duct tape were in the same pocket while the wound/blister/burn items were scattered over three pockets. The duct tape belongs in the instruments; it will not fit in that pocket. I removed the duct tape. I could not get all the wound/blister/burn items in one pocket; I was able to get them in two side by side pockets. Doing so meant removing the CoFlex (I don't use it anyway) and reducing the number of 5" x 9" trauma pads from six to two.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289657 - 06/26/18 02:06 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The duct tape in my truck kit looks like a roll of duct tape you’d find at Home Depot (not affiliated, just a customer). That FAK is in a clear plastic bin with organization provided by using clear ziplock bags; I can see what is in each bag. Simple, I can thank a former nurse for that.

BTW, in any FAK, nitrile gloves should be easy to find with no digging.

#289661 - 06/26/18 07:40 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Behind every FAK are the fall back, second string items that very often come into use - duct tape, various items for splinting, bandannas and rages, etc. Just be sure you can find them readily when you need them. That is "when," not "if."

#289665 - 06/26/18 07:46 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I upgrade all my first aid kits. Most don't have enough
- exam gloves
- OTC meds
- athletic tape
- larger, waterproof band aids
- Safety pins

What do you add to yours?

#289666 - 06/26/18 07:57 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

If I'm home, I already have multiple first aid kits. If I have this kit away from home, I still have the kit in my EDC bag.

The duct tape did not belong with the wound/blister/burn items and it was too big to fit where it should go: the instruments pocket.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289667 - 06/26/18 08:08 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What do you add to yours?

Today I ordered one Tactical Combat Casualty Care Reference Card.

https://www.chinookmed.com/14001/tactical-combat-casualty-care-tccc-card-pkg-of-25.html

Two Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) Cards.

https://www.chinookmed.com/14000pa/tactical-combat-casualty-care-tccc-card.html

I also added one Povidone-Iodine Prep Pads, Package of 6, one Burn Dressing - 4"x16", two Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lubricant, 28Fr, and one Bolin Chest Seal. The wound seal is currently out of stock.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289679 - 06/28/18 08:09 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Today I ordered one Tactical Combat Casualty Care Reference Card.

https://www.chinookmed.com/14001/tactical-combat-casualty-care-tccc-card-pkg-of-25.html

Two Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) Cards.

https://www.chinookmed.com/14000pa/tactical-combat-casualty-care-tccc-card.html

I also added one Povidone-Iodine Prep Pads, Package of 6, one Burn Dressing - 4"x16", two Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lubricant, 28Fr, and one Bolin Chest Seal. The wound seal is currently out of stock.

I received the package today. The following is the current configuration of the kit. I have everything I want except for the wound seal. I cannot think of anything else I want that is able to fit.

MEDICAL INFORMATION / TRIAGE
(1) Wilderness & Travel Medicine
(1) Tactical Combat Casualty Reference Card
(2) Tactical Combat Casualty Care Card

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(1) Hand Sanitizer, 1 oz.
(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case
(12) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe
(4) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(4) Respirator Mask
(4) Bear Claw Glove Kits

BLEEDING
(1) SWAT-T Tourniquet
(1) QuikClot, 25 g
(2) Trauma Bandage, 4"
(2) Compressed Gauze

AIRWAY
(1) Bolin Chest Seal
(2) Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lube, 28 Fr

WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(2) Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 4"
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 16"
(3) Burn Jel, 3.5 g
(1) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(1) Cloth Tape, 1" x 10 yds.
(6) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
(2) Benzoin Swabsticks
(2) Oval Eye Pad
(2) Petroleum Gauze, 3" x 9"
(2) Povidone-Iodine, 22 mL
(2) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(6) Cotton Tipped Applicator, 6"
(6) Sterile Gauze Pad, 4" x 4"
(2) Stretch Gauze, 3"x 12 yds.

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Disposable Cold Pack
(1) Disposable Heat Pack
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 4" x 4.5 yds.
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36"
(2) Triangular Bandage

MEDICATION
(1) Dentemp
(1) Eye Wash, 4 oz.
(2) Glucose, 15 g
(12) Acetaminophen, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(12) Aspirin, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(12) Diamode, 1/pk (Anti-diarrheal)
(12) Diotame, 2/pk (Stomach)
(12) Diphen, 1/pk (Antihistamine)
(12) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Hydrocortisone 1% Creme, 1.5 g
(6) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(2) Hydration Powder
(2) Oral Rehydration Salts
(1) Insect Bite Treatment

INSTRUMENTS
(1) Catheter Tip, 18G
(1) Digital Thermometer
(1) EMT Shears, 7.25"
(1) Irrigation Syringe, 20 mL Luer Lock Tip
(1) Tweezers
(3) Safety Pins, 2"
(1) Disposable Penlight
(1) Permanent Marker, Extra Fine Point

Jeanette Isabelle

#289680 - 06/28/18 11:52 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have everything I want except for the wound seal. I cannot think of anything else I want that is able to fit.

I stand corrected. I believe I can get a C-A-T in there by moving the CPR mask to a new location.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289684 - 06/29/18 06:40 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Does the QuikClot 3" x 4 yds Bleeding Control Dressing have any advantage over the QuikClot Advanced Clotting Sponge?

The sponge is the next best thing to worthless for serious bleeding. The gauze can be used with great effect -- but again, like with tourniquets, hands-on training is essential.

Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.