Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#289682 - 06/29/18 06:28 PM The Well Equipped Multotool
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A long time fan and user of multitools, I have carried a Leatherman (the one true multotool!!) for over thirty years. Very handy as they are, the newer versions are designed to accept ancillary appliances which make them even more versatile...

My main tool is a Wave.2 which sports two bit drivers, the larger of which holds L's proprietary bits - screwdriver bits come with the tool. They also market their Bit Kit, which provides about 40+ bits of different types - Phillips, Posi Drives, etc. which fit nicely into the Wave holster. Just as useful is their Bit Extender, which adds useful length to the tool and can be used independently. it is also fashioned to accept any 1/4"Hex drive gadget, which opens up a whole host of opportunities.

I have added a ground down screw driver bit (awl), a 4" adjustable wrench, and just recently, a 1/4" ratcheting wrench which is compatible with the other stuff. This just about fills out the original holster, but I am looking for other mods and add ons which will incrase the versatility of this fine tool.

All of these gadgets will also work with my Skeletool, which I carry quite often...

Anyone have any nifty ideas or suggestions??

#289683 - 06/29/18 06:38 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
TX Tool Crafters (no affiliation) used to sell replacement S30V plain-edge blades for the LM Wave (2nd Gen and Wave+) that also work well in the LM Signal. I hope they start selling them again.

I modded a 2nd Gen Wave to be a Rave (Rebar pliers head in a Wave) but the Wave+ is a better build than mine.

CountyComm (no affiliation) sells a small nylon pouch that fits the LM Bit Kit and a Bit Extender easily. Makes it easy to stick it all in a pocket.

Skinth (no affiliation) makes a wide variety of cool belt holsters for multitools and other things.

There's a huge community of multitool modders, both at Multitool.org (no affiliation) and EDCForums (where I am also known as "chaosmagnet").

#289685 - 06/29/18 07:06 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have a few multitools, but rarely use them. While better than nothing in an emergency, they are far inferior to a regular tool (screwdriver, file, scissors, etc.) My biggest use for one would be when traveling, where an inferior tool is still better than no tool. But almost all of them insist on putting a blade in there, so you can't take one as carry-on on an airplane. The few that don't have blades are generally of the "small, cheaply made, useless" variety in my searches. I've never used a multitool blade either. Those are significantly inferior to the regular pocket knife I carry.

I wish they would make a good quality, normal sized multitool that is TSA-friendly.

#289686 - 06/29/18 07:52 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
And there is RAE gear, that make stainless leatherman belt holsters, if constantly needing to use it.

http://www.raegearusa.com/

Edited by Ren (06/29/18 07:55 PM)

#289688 - 06/29/18 08:46 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree with you that real screwdrivers. etc. are better than their counterparts on a MT, but them MTs are, or should be, always handy. That is their outstanding virtue, and their reason for existence.

In my early days in the NPS, I carried a SAK, and I found it useful when the occasional screw needed tightening. I went for the original L tool, the PSK, because it had pliers, and doing SAR, we had to deal with jammed locking carabiners - the PSK allowed me to delete the pliers I carried for just that purpose.

Since then, my MT has saved the day on numerous occasions, one, at least, of which could have developed into a fairly serious situation. The tool in the hand in worth two that are back in the shop....

OTOH, who doesn't like to work with the most suitable tool for the job? Decisions, decisions.....

#289719 - 07/01/18 11:56 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Skinth (no affiliation) makes a wide variety of cool belt holsters for multitools and other things.

+1 for Skinth. They aren't cheap but are well made. They have one version that holds a SwissTool, their ratchet and bit set, two extensions, and several other tools.

#289727 - 07/02/18 09:15 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have several multi tools but my favorites are the Victorinox Spirit and the Leatherman Skeletool CX.

#289729 - 07/03/18 07:44 AM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Hey haertig.

Have you seen leatherman's knifeless Rebar or Gerber's bladeless MP600?

https://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYO...4d211209cb15fdb

My apologies to your wallet if this makes you buy one! grin whistle

#289744 - 07/03/18 06:15 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Both of those knifeless tools look great. They would be ideal for my specific needs *IF* they are allowed as carry-ons by TSA. They do have a few small pointy things on them, and that might sink their chances. It would be interesting to find out the official TSA answer on this.

#289745 - 07/03/18 06:49 PM Re: The Well Equipped Multotool [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The saw will probably make the knifeless Rebar prohibited from carry-on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.