Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#290017 - 07/24/18 06:57 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
As well as the Walmart finder, the rest of the stuff looks good.

An extreme test of the firestarting bits and the foil blanket:

https://youtu.be/_wnu2DVhml0

'It seemed like a good idea at the time.'
He was already in the first stages of hypothermia and removed his vest as he thought he was overheating.

Makes you realise how difficult it is in real life.
And you have to try using the gear before you need it.
The twigs will hurt your hand, the blanket needs unpacking then rerolling in advance. Thinking is cloudy......

qjs

#291049 - 11/10/18 11:40 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Found this one too:

'Most Recommended Survival Gear under $10'

https://youtu.be/G7tGwERCGyg

Note: This is Drop Forged Survivals recommended items under $10. NOT asking people what items they'd buy for that, or what full kit they'd make for that.
For those (practically everybody) who didn't actually look at the previous links.

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (11/10/18 11:47 AM)

#291050 - 11/10/18 01:17 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
More important than the initial cost o any item is its effectiveness and its dependability//reliability. Part of this consideration is the question - Do you know how to use the item properly?

I really appreciate gear with which I am familiar - a minor example - yesterday - our power was out for about ten hours. Getting up in the morning, the first order of business was a nice hot, steaming cup of coffee.

Time to break out the camping gear, including my MSR Pocket Rocket, purchased and first used in 2001. It worked fine, and i had my coffee in jig time, using a stove in which I had utter confidence - a nice feeling when things are getting a little dicey...

I have no idea what that stove cost back in 2001, nor do I care. I just know it works and heats stuff up.

#291052 - 11/10/18 05:18 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Time to break out the camping gear, including my MSR Pocket Rocket, purchased and first used in 2001.

Funny. I am most comfortable with my old SVEA 123R stove. Maybe don't want to use it indoors though - sometimes that startup procedure with the fuel in that little moat around the main stem can get a little flame-y.

#292263 - 05/08/19 11:37 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Here's a newer list:

https://youtu.be/aUJUQpTnVng?t=1094

Note the survival straw has a filter that is 0.05 microns. Anyone know does that mean it'll get rid of absolutely everything?

And this is most recommended OVER $30:

https://youtu.be/1VZJDzJenos

qjs

#292264 - 05/08/19 11:48 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Filtering water is not just about microns. I would recommend this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/water-treatment

(no affiliation)

This is about what they teach in the third world; its a great for a base knowledge about filtration and all the other parts that are important.

#292265 - 05/08/19 01:19 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Here's a newer list:

https://youtu.be/aUJUQpTnVng?t=1094

Note the survival straw has a filter that is 0.05 microns. Anyone know does that mean it'll get rid of absolutely everything?

And this is most recommended OVER $30:

https://youtu.be/1VZJDzJenos

qjs

I'm not an expert but as I understand it, no single treatment modality will get rid of absolutely everything, especially in the field.

In most parts of the USA, we should be concerned with removing or killing microbes from drinking water before consuming it. Filters, chemicals, UV devices, SODIS, and boiling can all work to disinfect water. Generally, one of these methods is enough, especially if dirt and debris is removed from the water first. So a coarse filter (like a shirt, handkerchief, coffee filter, or similar) should be used to get those larger particles out before taking steps for disinfection, especially if the water is visibly turbid.

In some places, heavy metal and other chemical contamination is also a concern. Disinfection techniques are generally not sufficient to make the water safe in those cases. I don't know of a reliable field-portable way to purify water against all possible contaminants; it may be possible to use a portable method that works well against a specific contaminant in the area you're in.

#292267 - 05/09/19 12:22 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Yeah, filters only get you so far. Not going to handle salt water for example.

Distilling will do a lot, but still volatile organic compounds with a boiling point around that of water or below will still be present. Would need activated charcoal or something to absorb those.

But I kind of think the straw type filters are for when you are in trouble, and have no choice than to drink whatever (non salt) water is available. That's when it's time for these straws.

#292270 - 05/09/19 01:40 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is smart to be mindful of water purity when in the wild, but do keep things in perspective. When in doubt, drink!! You can always seek a cure once you have returned to civilization. Following that reasoning, I have ingested some very questionable water sources. I have never suffered any consequences.

On one occasion, two of us lived or a month, drinking water that was downstream from herds of sheep and human habitations without any kind of modern plumbing (Canuyon de Chelly, AZ). We let the water settle and then boiled it. No problems at all.

See the thread on Picacho Peak for the alternative....

#292541 - 06/21/19 07:27 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Maybe this should go somewhere else, but I can't quickly find another thread.
This is a free ebook/download on Survival and Austere Medicine:

https://1776patriotusa.com/survival-austere-medicine/

I quibble about the assertion (no reference given) that medicines really "expire" or lose potency, or become toxic over time (aspirin).
As presented elsewhere, expiration dates are mainly a legal way for the pharmaceutical companies to get us to buy more of their product, and ensure steady income for their company and stockholders:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-h...xpiration-dates

Some strengths of the book include the broad array of topics, experience of the international contributors, and being unafraid to list specific brands of recommended bags/kits, etc.

I'm saving copies to my phone, laptop, Dropbox and printing off a hard copy.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.