The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#289524 - 06/21/18 11:17 AM Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Drop Forged Survival had the good idea of listing gear we'll actually buy. If like me you'll spend ages debating with myself 'do I get the Big Agnes $500 sleeping bag or the Wiggies $400 one? When I'm completely broke :-)

https://youtu.be/mp4Eij-nzkQ

https://youtu.be/1KRYV5v_kIA

https://youtu.be/jnOQCfxGea8

https://youtu.be/ICT2dARol9Y

Here's another review (with a link) for the mora garberg killer (full tang, finger guard, quality leather sheath - half the price) in week 4:

https://youtu.be/btQxnxvfNlk

Nice to see Drop Forge will recommend something he doesn't get a kickback for. OK he's made no money on that one, but it means one can trust the rest of the reviews.

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (06/21/18 11:55 AM)

#289529 - 06/21/18 02:15 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You can go a long ways toward decent outdoor kit by simply repurposing common household items - matches in a water tight pill box, a square of plastic sheeting, etc. for very little outlay.

There comes a time when the best strategy is to simply bite the bullet and pay for a really good item. Choose wisely and it will serve you well for years and years.

Serving as a draftee in the military many years ago, I swallowed hard and spent a month's pay for a really good down sleeping bag ($100, 3 lb weight, used it in well below zero conditions). the next month I blew half a month's income on a Kelty frame pack - state of the art at the time. These are 1960 prices...

These items were waiting for me at the end of my military service, and served superbly for several years. Both were eventually pilfered. I am sure the Kelty would still be in occasional use, if I still had it.

Overall, the items were worth subsisting on nothing but Army chow for a month. I think there are three things well worth spending bib bucks on - bag (sleeping), backpack, and boots - the three B's. The rest can be improvised - open camp fire, repurposed tin cans, plastic sheeting, etc.

If you get into technical climbing and rope work, it is time to spend money again - a good rope, well cared for, is super critical.

#289530 - 06/21/18 02:19 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
So, based on the title and content, I will ignore anything having to do with my house.

Just talking about outdoors, he really appears to ignore everything under 20.00.
i do not see Orange 55 gallon trash bags.
don't see hurricane whistles, Nalgene Bottles/Stainless Steel Bottles.

That being said, I was intrigued by the Epic Wipes and the Rainstick f20.

Anyone ever try the Rainstick f20?

#289532 - 06/21/18 02:39 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
gotta comment on the Epic Wipes. I checked out several sites. I really like the size, but seriously, 2.50 per wipe? I am camping on a budget. a 70 pack of scentless baby wipes are 1.00. Now admittedly, I cannot use the leftover wipes as a wraparound dress without a sewing machine, but a ratio of 150:1 for the price? With a 70 pack of Babywipes in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, I get more washes, and a handy trash container for the leftovers.

If I leave them in my bags for a year and they dry out, I lost a dollar. (that why the ziplock, storage + keeps them from drying as fast)

They also make decent tinder when dry...

Counter Opinions?

#289533 - 06/21/18 02:39 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You can go a long ways toward decent outdoor kit by simply repurposing common household items

I'm of the opinion to use, as much as possible, things you usually use anyhow. When even a small emergency happens, it is comforting to have what you are comfortable using.

Last year Mom bought a solar oven and had used it several times in the summer to avoid generating more heat with the regular oven. Cooking with the solar oven has become so familiar to her that she does not have to think twice in the event of a power loss.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289534 - 06/21/18 03:18 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

LCranston wrote:
> So, based on the title and content, I will ignore anything having to do with my house.
qjs: Why? It says 'Backpacking & Survival Gear'.

> Just talking about outdoors, he really appears to ignore
> everything under 20.00.
qjs: There are plenty of items under $20. I counted 7 in just the first week.

>i do not see Orange 55 gallon trash bags.
>don't see hurricane whistles, Nalgene Bottles/Stainless Steel Bottles.

qjs:
You expected him to review everything made that's under $30?
The Klean Kanteen 40oz Bottle in week 1 is a stainless steel bottle.

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (06/21/18 04:14 PM)

#289536 - 06/21/18 03:24 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

hikermoor wrote:
> There comes a time when the best strategy is to simply bite
> the bullet and pay for a really good item. Choose wisely and
> it will serve you well for years and years.

Yep For the really important stuff; your 3 Bs: Bag, Backpack
and Boots (and I'd add waterproof) walking into a shop and ask them to bring you the most expensive item will usually get you the best choice, or very near to it. Damn!
For everything else great quality isn't necessary. An empty coke bottle is a perfectly good water bottle, an empty food tin can become a stove.....

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (06/21/18 04:15 PM)

#289537 - 06/21/18 04:30 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There are so many things that fit into this category, can you be more specific? Do you want to focus on supplies or durable gear? Do you mean the category that falls in between durable and expendable (like water bottles and such necessary gear)?

When you say "must have" implies to me that you are basing this on the survival priorities of shelter, water, signal, fire.

I would begin with a poncho. There is a wide range of quality and price, but a lightly used military surplus one will usually run about $20 (US) and last a very long time. It can be used as waterproof/windproof outerwear or as a shelter.

Next, you need the ability to store and carry water. There are many good water bottles out there, but I prefer the single walled stainless steel. These may tip the scales on the more costly end, however. Single wall stainless can be used in a fire to purify, will prevent solar radiation from making your water too hot to drink, and is durable.

A nesting cup, that your water bottle fits into, can make procuring and purifying water much easier, and cooking as well. They weigh little, take up almost no space and are very durable. The stainless steel ones are usually less than $20, though titanium may run over $30.

All of the best fire starting methods will be under $30: lighter, UCO stormproof matches, cotton balls, petroleum jelly, most ferrocerrium rods, and my favorite striker for the ferrocerrium rod, a cut down hacksaw blade. Even the Blastmatch, and its little brother the Sparky, are less than $30.

Almost every whistle and signal mirror cost under $30. There are some emergency strobe lights than are under $30, but the best will run over that price. Any brightly colored material (though we have discussed the advantages of orange and blue) with a large surface area can serve as a signal panel. The ubiquitous blue tarp will work well and make your shelter, for under $30.

The orange survival bag: Orange survival bag

or: Smaller orange survival bag

is inexpensive and works for signaling as well. Any of the emergency or space blankets will cost less than $30.

#289538 - 06/21/18 05:01 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Montanero wrote:
> There are so many things that fit into this category, can you be more specific? Do you want to focus on supplies or durable gear? Do you mean the category that falls in between durable and expendable (like water bottles and such necessary gear)?

qjs: none of the above. I just pasted the commonest name Drop Forged Survival used for these videos. I have nothing to do with the content. Address queries to him please.

Found another video of his on the same topic that's not numbered by the week:

https://youtu.be/mp4Eij-nzkQ

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (06/21/18 05:02 PM)

#289545 - 06/21/18 09:57 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Watched the first part of the video, where the packet was thrown into a pool of water, absorbed fluid and which was then strained and consumed. I can only say that on numerous occasions (in remote settings only, not near civilization)I have drunk directly from much worse appearing ponds that that with no subsequent ill after effects what ever - my strategy being that bad stuff in that water might affect me after a week or so, but by then I will be back in town if I hydrate now. There were Arizona arid conditions and I was quite dehydrated.

It is always a good idea to drink water that is non-toxic, but if push comes to shove and you can't disinfect for some reason, drink up. First things first...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.