Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289503 - 06/20/18 04:20 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: gonewiththewind]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Montanero
These references would serve to aid you in setting priorities and identify your needs and gaps.

I checked. Mom already has that book. smile

Jeanette Isabelle

#289504 - 06/20/18 04:20 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

The mailer would be in my suitcase ... Even under those conditions do I still need additional protection?

In a suitcase, no, I wouldn't think so. I was envisioning a more "outdoorsy" bug-out, where you could be in rain and wind where you might want some more water resistant protection for documents.

#289505 - 06/20/18 04:25 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
I was envisioning a more "outdoorsy" bug-out, where you could be in rain and wind where you might want some more water resistant protection for documents.

If everything goes right, and I pray that it does, I will be bugging out in the desert.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289507 - 06/20/18 04:56 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

The closest desert to Florida is not exactly close. So it sounds like you're planning for "the big one", as in a semi-permanent long term bug-out. For that scenario I would be more focused on stocking up my destination in advance (and securing it) than in taking everything with me in the heat of the moment. I would also study up in advance on desert survival, which would be quite different from Florida survival. Those two locales are on different ends of the environment spectrum. And probably on different ends of the social spectrum as well.

#289509 - 06/20/18 05:18 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
To most, desert means "no water" and"always dry." This is not quite correct, because deserts in North America, while experiencing low precip annually, get torrential rains nonetheless, leading to flooding, often catastrophic.

Tropical Storm Bud just hit Southern Arizona with some unseasonable rainfall, as an example. In later summer, thunderstorms, with lightning and flash floods, will make life exciting.

Our SAR team eventually developed considerable capability in swift water rescue, frequently employed. Among the fatalities we encountered, drowning was the second leading cause, right behind falls. And this in Tucson, AZ!

What water comes will be unpredictable as to time and amount.

#289511 - 06/20/18 05:51 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Remind me not to be checked for pupil reactivity by Hikermor and his 500 lumen headlamp. :^].

#289512 - 06/20/18 06:03 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

The closest desert to Florida is not exactly close. So it sounds like you're planning for "the big one", as in a semi-permanent long term bug-out.

To say I'm planning for a life-changing event would be an understatement.

For that scenario I would be more focused on stocking up my destination in advance (and securing it) than in taking everything with me in the heat of the moment.

Unfortunately, all personal items may have to be done in one trip. I'm working on financial matters at the time being. I apologize for having to be vague for the time being.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289514 - 06/20/18 06:13 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Remind me not to be checked for pupil reactivity by Hikermor and his 500 lumen headlamp. :^].

Actually, one might tone it down a bit. The beauty of a really good headlamp these days is the great range of variability in light levels (and run time) in really dependable instruments.

I promise not to use 500 lumens on you unless we desperately need the information you hold....

#289543 - 06/21/18 08:56 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I ordered another plastic container to organize any OTC medications that are not in a first aid kit.

Today I received the basket. I'm using it to hold my OTC medication that is neither in a kit or currently being used (such as residing in my EDC bag). I'm also using it to store alcohol swabs, sunscreen and insect repellent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289550 - 06/22/18 04:45 AM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Another thing you could try is using a vacuum sealer to hold small pill bottles full of meds. Many items, I don't know about pill bottles specifically, tighten up and end up like a brick once vacuum sealed. Like when I vacuum seal coffee beans. I end up with a solid hard brick that I could conk somebody with. Plus, your pills would end up water and dust proof. Label the bag with contents and date using a Sharpie marker before use (it's difficult to write on those bags once they've gotten all bumpy after vacuuming). Get the cut-to-size roll of bag material so you can construct any bag size that you require - very small to large. There's lots of stuff for bug-out that might benefit from vacuum seal waterproof packaging. A box of wooden matches, trail mix, an emergency roll of toilet paper. Lot's of stuff. You mentioned sunscreen and bug repellent above. Those would be good in a sealed bag too, since mine always tend to leak on me. Just use that new box cuter knife you are looking at to open the bags when needed. Save the bags after opening for re-use. You can even buy the sealer machines that run off of car batteries (I'm sure Cabela's would carry such a thing).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.