Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#284509 - 05/07/17 05:43 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Pete]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Originally Posted By: Pete
I was in Florida during April. There are a LOT of worse places than Florida. You could survive quite well in a small town in Florida. In an emergency, you can always go and catch fish. Really! Plus, Florida gets a lot of fresh rain. Therefore, you can catch rain water. And you wont freeze to death. The survival options are quite favorable.

Pete

I will caution people that you CAN freeze to death here. In general most would agree that it typically isn't going to happen....FL is not the constant hot place people think. Temps do drop and exposure is common. I've seen it regularly. EMS here pounds into its people ALL the time with trauma patients that "cold blood doesn't clot" and are constantly urging that the patient be wrapped up to prevent heat loss......and this is in the SUMMER!!!! Don't get lulled into a false sense of security that you can't freeze there.

#284512 - 05/07/17 06:32 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just one word - hurricanes.

That is how some of the "fresh rain" is delivered, along with the salty sea surge. of course, hurricanes these days are accurately predicted, and measures can be taken (like getting the h*** out). Every place has its own particular hazards and one must learn to cope. I live in SoCal and must be prepared to deal with earthquakes. and they aren't predictable nearly as precisely as H's.

#289445 - 06/15/18 01:04 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
An update on what's happening in Ocala, FL. A six-story building is being built next to Sam's Club, the new equestrian center is progressing slowly, a Jaguar dealership will open this fall near the Porche/BMW dealership and another one-story construction project is going up near our gated community.

And yet, despite all the new constructions and increased traffic on College Rd., the bus system will not be extended to this area until 2026.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289447 - 06/15/18 01:58 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So Jeanette, do you travel around town strictly by mass transit? That puts your knife thread into context.

2026 — Good to see the planners are thinking ahead... wink

#289450 - 06/15/18 02:32 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
So Jeanette, do you travel around town strictly by mass transit?

I can't because the nearest bus stop is ten miles away.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289474 - 06/17/18 02:46 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

For now, this is only hearsay; today a member of our Torah study group said 10,000 more houses would be built in this area.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289565 - 06/22/18 07:11 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

During the gun club meeting, the subject of safety in the community came up. As it is now, there are no sidewalks along the main road. There is no place to walk. I'm not expecting anything to be done about it anytime soon; at least I know I am not the only one who has this concern and people are talking about it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290634 - 09/20/18 04:55 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Dollar General is in the process of building a new store two blocks from the back gate of our gated community.

The new store will be right around the corner of Freedom Library. I don't know why anyone would want to live here; I hope this trend continues. Families are moving into the new homes being built in this neck of the woods.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291134 - 11/17/18 06:47 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

There is something good about Florida after all. If you spend any amount of time here, you will develop a sincere appreciation for the fall and winter.

"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" takes on a new meaning. I'm willing to settle for a white Groundhog's Day.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291135 - 11/17/18 07:49 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I used to be on our Parish Council (lowest level of government in England). We were concerned about the level of public transport locally so we invited the Chief Executive of the bus company in for a chat.

He stated that he would run any service at any time of the day if he made a profit, his sole criteria.

We persuaded him to trial a service after the school run to the shops and back, gave him routes and timings. He ran an eight month trial and it made money so it runs to this day.

Why not try the same approach?

Edited by Ian (11/17/18 07:50 PM)

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.