Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#289399 - 06/14/18 07:10 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The more serious answer -- for opening boxes I'd use a box cutter. It can be adjusted so that just a "tooth" pokes out, preventing it from cutting the contents. As long as you use it just to open boxes (i.e., cut tape), it can be sharpened, which is what I do, actually.

A folder or a fixed blade is often too thick and too long, thus requiring a tad more skill & concentration to wield. (I know all of you guys are familiar with this issue, so just quiet down.) After a while slivers of tape get stuck to the blade, sometimes even making it harder to cut.

#289400 - 06/14/18 11:10 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm concerned for Jeanette: why don't you already have such a knife? IS SOMEONE HOLDING YOUR KNIVES HOSTAGE???

For opening boxes, I use a kitchen knife. That requires going to the kitchen. I can't have the kitchen knife on me.

For everything else, I use my tool of choice: EMT shears (not ideal for opening boxes).

Jeanette Isabelle

#289402 - 06/14/18 11:25 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The more serious answer -- for opening boxes I'd use a box cutter. It can be adjusted so that just a "tooth" pokes out, preventing it from cutting the contents. As long as you use it just to open boxes (i.e., cut tape), it can be sharpened, which is what I do, actually.

A folder or a fixed blade is often too thick and too long, thus requiring a tad more skill & concentration to wield. (I know all of you guys are familiar with this issue, so just quiet down.) After a while slivers of tape get stuck to the blade, sometimes even making it harder to cut.

At home, I used kitchen knives for years for that task. That established, why would a folder require more skill than a kitchen knife?

You are the second person to recommend sharpening razor blades. Either way, blade sharpening is a skill I need to gain. With that established, which is easier to learn: sharpening a razor blade or knife?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289404 - 06/14/18 12:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: dougwalkabout]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The OP specified a locking blade. Otherwise a SAK would be first in line.

The Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening.

S14
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23903...-38-red-handles

S17
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23913...ool-red-handles

Another knife in similar to that Kabar is the Ontario RAT Model 2...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=ontario+rat+model+2

#289405 - 06/14/18 01:29 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
+ 1 to Box Knife or Folding Utility Knife.
Both are cheap, cheap, cheap, and can be replaced easily if lost or broken.

Both can be sharpened, exactly the same as sharpening a knife. Get a stone or sandpaper attached to a flat, and alternate strokes on each side, as if cutting a slice off it.

I would submit that it is far more effective to buy blades. Bingley made several great points. To expand:

1) depth- A box knife set correctly will be a very shallow cut, which is a very good thing.
A) Less risk to the package
B) Less risk to you while cutting
C) Less risk to you if dropped, or picking back up. Kitchen knives have a longer exposed blade, when setting down and picking up (assuming more than one box) you have more risk.

2) sharp. I think we all agree that sharp is better; less effort to cut, cleaner cuts, less damage to you if, god forbid, you cut yourself.
You can totally sharpen a utility blade. It is NOT best practice. Replacing a blade on a well designed box/utility is fast, and easy. Sharpening a blade that is covered in GLUE is not. Since a MILWAUKEE 48-22-1901 FASTBACK FLIP OPEN UTILITY KNIFE (not a sponsor, nor selling, just an example) is about 10.00$, and 100 replacement blades are around 12.00, and each blade has 2 sides, you have 200 cutting surfaces that are literally razor sharp for ~ 22.00

#289407 - 06/14/18 02:35 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I DON'T use my EDC to open boxes - mostly because I'd prefer not to get all that adhesive on the blade. Plus, I find cutting cardboard dulls blades pretty quickly. Most of my box opening only involves slicing through plastic or fiber-reinforced packing tape.

I DO use a folding utility knife to open boxes. The ones I prefer have the ability to flip/change utility blades without a tool, though I do have to be a bit careful - on one occasion I accidentally slide the release lever while opening a box and had the blade flip out (literally, not emotionally).

I find the folding utility knives to be kind of heavy for EDC - especially compared to my mini Rittergrip EDC. This is likely because of the steel slabs on each side - compared to the plastic slabs on the Rittergrip.

I almost always have several types of blades nearby and prefer to use what works best ... up to an ax, lopper (long handle - cuts small branches), cordless reciprocating saw, and chainsaw. But I don't use any of these to open boxes :-/

#289408 - 06/14/18 02:43 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Either way, blade sharpening is a skill I need to gain.

That would be a skill worth learning in any case. You can use it for the kitchen knives too. Remember a sharp knife is safer than a dull one.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
With that established, which is easier to learn: sharpening a razor blade or knife?

The proper answer is: It depends.
I would recommend a simple flat stone (I use this one: https://www.amazon.de/Fallkniven-DC4/dp/B004731IBG/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp. It is easy to use, does not require eletricity and is portable. It is also much harder to ruin the blade with a stone than with an electric grinding wheel.
Box cutter blades have a concave grind. That requires more skill than a flat grind (which many knives have). If you settle for a flat grind when resharpening, it is only a little more finnicky than a knife. You wil not restore the original sharpness though. It may still get sharp enough to pass the shaving test.

#289410 - 06/14/18 02:49 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I use a utility knife everyday dozens of times. Open boxes but mostly to cut nylon fabric (Cordura and lighter). I sharpen my replaceable blades and get months/years out of each blade. Not because I am cheap, but because I need a sharper edge than the utility blades come with. I have yet to see one that comes from the factory truly "razor sharp" (and trying to strop one would likely be heck on your strop).

It is very simple to sharpen a straight edge like this. Just pick a shallow angle and rub the blade back and forth on the stone several times with the edge of the blade holder parallel to the stoneas a guide. Then flip it over and do the same on the other side. I just use a simple fine grained pocket stone with no oil or water.

I see where glue etc. would make a mess of things, but I would just keep a second knife for those purposes.

You can get tiny utility knives that fit on a key chain if box opening is the only use.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22790666

#289412 - 06/14/18 02:55 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: LCranston]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LCranston’s math is correct. A $20-$22 utility knife system will last a long time. The Milwaukee Utility Knife he mentioned looks like it would work well, I like that the blade can function as a hook knife and it has a cut-out to work as a wire stripper, nice touches. The Husky I linked to earlier is slightly less $$ (neither are expensive) and both are available at Home Depot.

My recommendation would be to check out Home Depot or another local Hardware store to look/touch before buying; if you see one you like, buy it. Do not start a utility knife collection, just buy one that works. The replaceable blade are pretty much standard across the different brands.

#289413 - 06/14/18 03:03 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I was thinking about Bingley’s idea of sharpening blades — I have the ability to sharpen knives and these aren’t much different. Then I had a cup of coffee and looked at LCranston’s math. Next time I’m at HD I’ll buy another 50 blade dispenser. The idea of sharpening a throwaway blade covered in tape/glue is just not interesting. Blades are cheap.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.