Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#289414 - 06/14/18 03:05 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Ren]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Ren
The Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening.

S14
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23903...-38-red-handles

S17
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23913...ool-red-handles

I don't need those extra tools.

Originally Posted By: Ren
Another knife in similar to that Kabar is the Ontario RAT Model 2...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=ontario+rat+model+2

I considered the Dozer because that is what George Van Orden has used for years and has stated one reason for that: this knife is as good as a $100 knife. I have known about George for about twelve years and I give weight to his opinion because of his background, what he has accomplished and because of what Dour Ritter has said about him.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289416 - 06/14/18 03:38 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Cheap at half the price ... Utility knife plus 50 blades, $9.88.

One note on the various EDC knives mentioned with regard to cutting cardboard and blade geometry. Some hollow ground knives (such as the Dozier mentioned) make shallow cuts very nicely but as more of the blade is used the pressure stacks up because that narrow edge suddenly gets thicker. IMO a flat ground knife does better at slicing.

All that said, the utility knives mentioned use very thin blades that add very little pressure as they slice because the blade material itself is very thin, let alone the edge. For cardboard I’d go with a generic utility knife every time.

#289419 - 06/14/18 03:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Do you really open that many boxes that you need to EDC a box cutter? Even if you do, the cheap ones with replaceable blades are better, if you are opening boxes. A good knife is better for other things.

#289421 - 06/14/18 06:28 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

In the beginning, I was not thrilled with the idea of a utility knife because of my experiences with them. I worked for six years in a distribution center. The ones I'm familiar with are the slim, simple-designed slidders that use the single-sided safety razor blades. The other has the fat-handle that retracts when you let go. I was not a fan of either design. For that reason, I had negative images to overcome before considering a utility knife.

I thought the best thing to do is to see these new designs in action. I went to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys6vQ3pUZ40

From what I saw on YouTube, what was said in this forum and the lifetime warranty (bring it into The Home Depot, no receipt needed, no questions asked), I'm experiencing a favorable impression of Husky. There are several to choose. I'm not after the cheapest option. It will live in my pocket. Therefore it needs to be comfortable.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-T...lmax&NCNI-5

Jeanette Isabelle

#289422 - 06/14/18 06:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC.

#289423 - 06/14/18 07:02 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Good choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC.

Why? All I need is a pair of EMT shears and a separate tool for opening boxes. I considered the Dozier for opening boxes until others recommended a utility knife for that task.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289424 - 06/14/18 07:11 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Okay, just a different view on the nature of an EDC knife; we see different needs. As much as I like the Husky for opening boxes and cutting cardboard, I wouldn’t carry it as EDC. That said, both the tools you’ve selected are good and as long as they meet all your cutting needs, you’re good to go.

#289426 - 06/14/18 07:40 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Why not have a knife that will open the packages, able to be re-sharpened, has more than one blade and has other commonly used everyday tools??? The Swiss Army knife "tinker."

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-...wiss+army+knife

Seriously, I've carried the same one every day for going on for 30+ years, and used it in innumerable situations, including opening boxes. . .

#289428 - 06/14/18 08:45 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
Why not have a knife that will open the packages, able to be re-sharpened, has more than one blade and has other commonly used everyday tools??? The Swiss Army knife "tinker."

Seriously, I've carried the same one every day for going on for 30+ years, and used it in innumerable situations, including opening boxes. . .

I first considered a folder; others made a good argument for a box cutter to open boxes. Why do you think the SAK would be better for that task?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289429 - 06/14/18 09:40 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: bws48

I first considered a folder; others made a good argument for a box cutter to open boxes. Why do you think the SAK would be better for that task?

Jeanette Isabelle

1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

3) the blades of the SAK are relatively easy to sharpen.

4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

5) Downside is that it does not lock. I have never found this to be a problem, and in opening boxes, since the force you will exert is only in one direction, I don't think this is a critical issue.

It will do everything that I understand that you need to do, and so many potential and actual uses, IMO spending money on a dedicated box opener seems a waste when you can do what I understand that you need to do and have so much flexibility to do other things as an addition to your preps for a very reasonable cost---less than what you were originally thinking of.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.