Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#289430 - 06/14/18 09:53 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Taking another look at utility knives in general and they seem to come in at about 4+ ounces. The Dozier mentioned weighs about 2.4 ounces and the Spyderco Delica weighs 2.5 ounces. The weight difference may or may not be significant for Jeanette. As I carry a knife, 4 oz is way heavier than 2.5 ounces

As clarification on an earlier comment, I view EDC as a separate function than cutting boxes. A utility knife is somewhat specialized, using thin stock cheap replaceable blades rather than a better steel with a more robust, heavier blade design.

A Venn diagram would help. Consider two overlapping circles, one represents EDC knives, the other represents box cutters. Jeanette needs a knife that is in the overlap.

Do the folding utility knives we’ve been discussing fall into the overlap or in the box cutter circle but outside the overlap. That’s really a personal choice. I personally would not EDC a utility knife unless I was continually needing to cut boxes while out and about, and I didn’t need a knife for anything else. In my view, there are very few (zero) knives in the overlap. But that’s me. Utility knives are for tool boxes and bags, not clipping to the front pocket of my hiking shorts. The Benchmade 535 Bugout clipped to my pocket as I type weighs 1.8 ounces, heavier is noticeable.

#289432 - 06/14/18 11:31 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bws48
1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

3) the blades of the SAK are relatively easy to sharpen.

I have established that my EMT shears will do almost everything I need a tool to do. I say "almost" because it does not open boxes, not very well. Since it does not open boxes, I need a second tool that will do the one job EMT shears cannot. Do you know of a device that will do everything EMT shears can do plus open boxes?

4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

It has other tools that you have used. That's fine for you. Telling me that I need a SAK would be like saying you need EMT shears. When I lived in Dallas, I knew a person who used a hammer for everything. If that's what works for him, that is what he needs to stay with.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289434 - 06/14/18 11:47 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
[quote=Russ]Taking another look at utility knives in general and they seem to come in at about 4+ ounces. The Dozier mentioned weighs about 2.4 ounces and the Spyderco Delica weighs 2.5 ounces. The weight difference may or may not be significant for Jeanette. As I carry a knife, 4 oz is way heavier than 2.5 ounces "

The Ace Hardware mini utility knife weighs less than an ounce.

Here is my usual EDC too. The Case Blackhorn. 1 ounce,locking, very sharp, cheap (It is light because there is no metal liners, so think of it as a scalpel, not a chisel or pry bar. It just lives on my key ring. I have burlier knives for the backcountry or at work.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA253/c...dles-lt1059l-ss

Edited by clearwater (06/15/18 12:04 AM)

#289435 - 06/14/18 11:57 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

It comes down to skills and with what you are familiar. For the past quarter century I’ve EDC’d a locking folder and for many years I’ve also carried scissors which collapse for pocket carry. Occasionally I also carry an SAK, rarely an SAK without the locking folder.

EMT shears are too bulky to fit in my pockets, so they stay in the FAK. Jeanette has a different POV.

#289437 - 06/15/18 12:08 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'll also (if this was what the others were referencing) heartily recommend a Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter as a GREAT low cost folding knife. I'm finding it for sale online for just under $20 (add shipping).

This is the folding knife (3" plain blade, black handle) I bought for my kids - under the thought that if they lost it then I'd only be out about $20. My son almost lost his while at Scout camp, but I happen to notice a Scout using a knife that looked just like the one he'd lost. I voiced admiration, asked if I could see it, and it had my son's initials scratched on the handle. Heh heh heh. He finally admitted he'd found it on a trail.

It has been tough enough for what they've put it through, light weight, and to me sized just right for EDC.

I notice that they now have a "Mini Dozier Folidng Hunter" with a 2-1/4" blade. That might suit your needs too - I know I prefer to carry the mini Rittergrip, though I have several regular Rittergrips.

By the way, if you want to learn to sharpen knives, I will STRONGLY recommend purchase and use of the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. It is awesome and makes sharpening knives, scissors, ... super easy. Search Youtube.com using "Spyderco Sharpmaker" to see a bunch of videos showing its use.

By the way, the Sharpmaker's standard angle is 20 degrees, which works for most knives, but it also has a 15 degree angle for back-bevels, which I use to sharpen the Rittergrips (which came with a 15 degree bevel).

#289440 - 06/15/18 12:37 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another vote for the Sharpmaker. I used to sharpen free hand, but the Sharpmaker is great!

#289443 - 06/15/18 01:48 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Why not have a knife that will open the packages, able to be re-sharpened, has more than one blade and has other commonly used everyday tools??? The Swiss Army knife "tinker."

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-...wiss+army+knife

Seriously, I've carried the same one every day for going on for 30+ years, and used it in innumerable situations, including opening boxes. . .

I first considered a folder; others made a good argument for a box cutter to open boxes. Why do you think the SAK would be better for that task?

Jeanette Isabelle

1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

3) the blades of the SAK are relatively easy to sharpen.

4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

5) Downside is that it does not lock. I have never found this to be a problem, and in opening boxes, since the force you will exert is only in one direction, I don't think this is a critical issue.

It will do everything that I understand that you need to do, and so many potential and actual uses, IMO spending money on a dedicated box opener seems a waste when you can do what I understand that you need to do and have so much flexibility to do other things as an addition to your preps for a very reasonable cost---less than what you were originally thinking of.

I've carried a SAK--similar to the Tinker mentioned above--ever since high school. When opening boxes I pinch the small blade, so that only a little bit of the blade protrudes, so that I don't cut into the goods. The toothpick, tweezers, scissors, and corkscrew put this head and shoulders above a utility knife--although one of the guys at work has a husky, and it does work well.
As far a resharpening goes, it's a lot easier to resharpen this knife than "disposable blades".

#289449 - 06/15/18 02:14 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Jeanette_Isabelle,
This comes down to you, and what you want it to do.

Based solely on what you have said you want to use it for, if the EMT shears cover all your other needs, the box knife fits best.

This is just about you.
Dozier is a great knife. If you get that, find a cleaner, rubbing alcohol/ goo gone to clean it regularly. You will have issues sharpening with Tape glue on it.
It will be more versatile than the box knife, but more work.

Swiss Army with a locking blade is a great tool, if you need lots of versatility. ONLY thing bad is that lack of a clip, so you need a case, or not mind digging in a pocket.
same comments as above, Goo Gone, more versatile, more work.

Just to go in a TOTALLY different direction-- taking this to the logical extreme-- have you looked at something like this?

Sparco Fast-Point Snap-Off Blade Knife
The item is 43 CENTS, Heck, the item costs less than the replacement BLADES, lol. The snap off blades have 10+ sections, so you can snap off the dull piece. At the price, you could buy 45 of these for 20.00$
If ALL you need is box opening, they are Light, Cheap, Pretty Safe (Very little blade exposed)
They are designed for the job you specified. Specialized.

In the end, what do you want?

#289452 - 06/15/18 04:21 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: LCranston]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That is a different direction...
13-Point Breakaway Knife
or
ANVIL 18 mm and 9 mm Snap-Off Knife Set (2-Piece)

Both available at Home Depot. I’d never carry one, but I kinda like ‘em, pure throwaway.

#289453 - 06/15/18 04:38 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just to complete the array choices for J I's selection, consider this "Tactical Survival Axe"

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/...63#.WyPpqKdKjZY

This was advertised in our local paper and I thought of this thread immediately. Certainly no box can withstand a tactical survival axe, right?

When you absolutely, positively must open that box, go for the TSA!

Evidently there are other possible uses, as well...

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.