The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#289366 - 06/13/18 06:39 PM Folder for Opening Boxes
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
EMT shears continue to be my tool of choice. One task they are not suited for is opening boxes. What I want is a folder with a locking blade and is easy to open. It has to be small enough to feel comfortable in my pocket. It will have the mundane job of opening boxes. Therefore, it does not need to be a special edition or exotic.

I've done some homework on my own and considered this little puppy:

https://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/44

Jeanette Isabelle

#289367 - 06/13/18 07:05 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
That knife looks nice. If you are going to carry it in the pocket, a thin pouch would help to protect the locking mechanism from pocket lint.

#289368 - 06/13/18 07:05 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

#289369 - 06/13/18 07:08 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Also - Normally I don't like serrated knives. But for the singular task of cutting boxes, you might want to consider one.

#289371 - 06/13/18 07:26 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Go to a hardware store and they sell box cutters or shingle cutters that fold and have locking blades. Search "folding box cutter" on Amazon and you will get many results. The have replaceable blades and are small.

#289372 - 06/13/18 07:28 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Strictly for the task you propose, consider a utility knife w/retractable blades. they are available at any hardware store for cheap.

Your proposed tool is more versatile and is a good value. There are many others as well in that approximate price range. Stay away from any that are $400 and up. They are overpriced....

#289376 - 06/13/18 08:20 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
available at Home Depot...

Husky Folding Lock Back Utility Knife

#289380 - 06/13/18 09:25 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

As for having a good locking folder, the KaBar Dozier you selected looks like it would be a very good knife. A Spyderco Delica would be another good knife to consider, roughly the same weight as the Dozier but with better steel imo, AUS-8A vs VG-10 and that Delica is flat ground. There are so many...

Either would be good to drop in your pocket, but for just opening boxes and cutting cardboard, a folder with disposable/replaceable blades is my preference. I’ve got the Husky shown above.

Edit: Just noted the price point - $21.38 on Amazon; that makes the Dozier very compelling. Still, $7.88 for the Husky at HD with 10 replacement blades.

#289381 - 06/13/18 10:30 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I like the line of thinking of going with a folding box cutter. My one concern is if the stuff hits the fan and I'm out of blades. I prefer to learn to sharpen than be without a replacement blade.

The price of the Dozier was one of the factors when I considered that knife.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289382 - 06/13/18 11:35 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

There is no law that says you can't put an edge on a dull utility blade, although you might not achieve the original edge. also, I have seen very cheap utility knives that included conventional folding blades.

Probably some of us own more than one knife (Russ for sure!) and possibly even a multitool or more. The better ones (i.e. Leatherman IMHO) are quite versatile and good to have when things get strange.

For just a bargain knife, get a Mora. they are very good quality and astonishingly cheap, especially their classical items. It is hard to justify anything more expensive.

Oh dear! We are talking knives... Will this ever end??

#289383 - 06/14/18 12:07 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I have a Delica, but one with the SS handle rather than the much lighter weight FRN. What disappointed me was that the blade came with a saber grind rather than flat grind. That’s just the way Spyderco made them. Now that summer is here (in SOCAL summer comes early) the weight of a knife is noticeable particularly when wearing lightweight nylon. That brings me to the Delica at the link, however, the Dozier’s $21.38 is like 1/3 the price of $74.72 - nice.

Jeanette - The obvious answer is to get both the Dozier and one of the cheap utility knives. The Dozier goes with you as part of your EDC supplementing your EMT shears; the utility knife stays wherever you open packages and cut up cardboard. $.02, but that’s how I’d do it and it’s a rationale to buy another sharp wink

#289384 - 06/14/18 12:32 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
For just a bargain knife, get a Mora. they are very good quality and astonishingly cheap, especially their classical items. It is hard to justify anything more expensive.

Aren't Mora knives fixed blade? I need a folder.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289385 - 06/14/18 12:38 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Opinel knives are mostly folders IIRC.

#289386 - 06/14/18 01:21 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Oh dear! We are talking knives... Will this ever end??

I think it fits since the reason I joined this forum is that I asked why is the knife is the primary tool. Eleven and a half years later I'm asking which knife to get.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289390 - 06/14/18 02:15 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I picked up a couple of Doziers on clearance, some years ago. No regrets.

Good little utility folders. Decent steel, thin in the pocket and sturdy enough for any reasonable task.

I would take one on a hike without reservation.

My 2c.

#289391 - 06/14/18 02:24 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Dozier knives are usually good. A Spyderco Dragonfly or Ladybug would also serve you well.

#289393 - 06/14/18 02:45 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I quite like the Dragonfly for a keychain knife -- handy to carry, but just big enough to be useful. But WAY too spendy unless (like a young chap I know) you snag it for half the outrageous MSRP. Great buy, dude, but why didn't you grab one for me?

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/14/18 02:47 AM)

#289394 - 06/14/18 03:12 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

All these posts and no one has brought up the Swiss army knife in its various permutations? Gotta be something there...

#289395 - 06/14/18 03:27 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

The OP specified a locking blade. Otherwise a SAK would be first in line.

#289398 - 06/14/18 07:02 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm concerned for Jeanette: why don't you already have such a knife? IS SOMEONE HOLDING YOUR KNIVES HOSTAGE???

#289399 - 06/14/18 07:10 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The more serious answer -- for opening boxes I'd use a box cutter. It can be adjusted so that just a "tooth" pokes out, preventing it from cutting the contents. As long as you use it just to open boxes (i.e., cut tape), it can be sharpened, which is what I do, actually.

A folder or a fixed blade is often too thick and too long, thus requiring a tad more skill & concentration to wield. (I know all of you guys are familiar with this issue, so just quiet down.) After a while slivers of tape get stuck to the blade, sometimes even making it harder to cut.

#289400 - 06/14/18 11:10 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm concerned for Jeanette: why don't you already have such a knife? IS SOMEONE HOLDING YOUR KNIVES HOSTAGE???

For opening boxes, I use a kitchen knife. That requires going to the kitchen. I can't have the kitchen knife on me.

For everything else, I use my tool of choice: EMT shears (not ideal for opening boxes).

Jeanette Isabelle

#289402 - 06/14/18 11:25 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
The more serious answer -- for opening boxes I'd use a box cutter. It can be adjusted so that just a "tooth" pokes out, preventing it from cutting the contents. As long as you use it just to open boxes (i.e., cut tape), it can be sharpened, which is what I do, actually.

A folder or a fixed blade is often too thick and too long, thus requiring a tad more skill & concentration to wield. (I know all of you guys are familiar with this issue, so just quiet down.) After a while slivers of tape get stuck to the blade, sometimes even making it harder to cut.

At home, I used kitchen knives for years for that task. That established, why would a folder require more skill than a kitchen knife?

You are the second person to recommend sharpening razor blades. Either way, blade sharpening is a skill I need to gain. With that established, which is easier to learn: sharpening a razor blade or knife?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289404 - 06/14/18 12:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: dougwalkabout]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The OP specified a locking blade. Otherwise a SAK would be first in line.

The Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening.

S14
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23903...-38-red-handles

S17
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23913...ool-red-handles

Another knife in similar to that Kabar is the Ontario RAT Model 2...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=ontario+rat+model+2

#289405 - 06/14/18 01:29 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
+ 1 to Box Knife or Folding Utility Knife.
Both are cheap, cheap, cheap, and can be replaced easily if lost or broken.

Both can be sharpened, exactly the same as sharpening a knife. Get a stone or sandpaper attached to a flat, and alternate strokes on each side, as if cutting a slice off it.

I would submit that it is far more effective to buy blades. Bingley made several great points. To expand:

1) depth- A box knife set correctly will be a very shallow cut, which is a very good thing.
A) Less risk to the package
B) Less risk to you while cutting
C) Less risk to you if dropped, or picking back up. Kitchen knives have a longer exposed blade, when setting down and picking up (assuming more than one box) you have more risk.

2) sharp. I think we all agree that sharp is better; less effort to cut, cleaner cuts, less damage to you if, god forbid, you cut yourself.
You can totally sharpen a utility blade. It is NOT best practice. Replacing a blade on a well designed box/utility is fast, and easy. Sharpening a blade that is covered in GLUE is not. Since a MILWAUKEE 48-22-1901 FASTBACK FLIP OPEN UTILITY KNIFE (not a sponsor, nor selling, just an example) is about 10.00$, and 100 replacement blades are around 12.00, and each blade has 2 sides, you have 200 cutting surfaces that are literally razor sharp for ~ 22.00

#289407 - 06/14/18 02:35 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I DON'T use my EDC to open boxes - mostly because I'd prefer not to get all that adhesive on the blade. Plus, I find cutting cardboard dulls blades pretty quickly. Most of my box opening only involves slicing through plastic or fiber-reinforced packing tape.

I DO use a folding utility knife to open boxes. The ones I prefer have the ability to flip/change utility blades without a tool, though I do have to be a bit careful - on one occasion I accidentally slide the release lever while opening a box and had the blade flip out (literally, not emotionally).

I find the folding utility knives to be kind of heavy for EDC - especially compared to my mini Rittergrip EDC. This is likely because of the steel slabs on each side - compared to the plastic slabs on the Rittergrip.

I almost always have several types of blades nearby and prefer to use what works best ... up to an ax, lopper (long handle - cuts small branches), cordless reciprocating saw, and chainsaw. But I don't use any of these to open boxes :-/

#289408 - 06/14/18 02:43 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Either way, blade sharpening is a skill I need to gain.

That would be a skill worth learning in any case. You can use it for the kitchen knives too. Remember a sharp knife is safer than a dull one.

With that established, which is easier to learn: sharpening a razor blade or knife?

The proper answer is: It depends.
I would recommend a simple flat stone (I use this one: https://www.amazon.de/Fallkniven-DC4/dp/B004731IBG/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp. It is easy to use, does not require eletricity and is portable. It is also much harder to ruin the blade with a stone than with an electric grinding wheel.
Box cutter blades have a concave grind. That requires more skill than a flat grind (which many knives have). If you settle for a flat grind when resharpening, it is only a little more finnicky than a knife. You wil not restore the original sharpness though. It may still get sharp enough to pass the shaving test.

#289410 - 06/14/18 02:49 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I use a utility knife everyday dozens of times. Open boxes but mostly to cut nylon fabric (Cordura and lighter). I sharpen my replaceable blades and get months/years out of each blade. Not because I am cheap, but because I need a sharper edge than the utility blades come with. I have yet to see one that comes from the factory truly "razor sharp" (and trying to strop one would likely be heck on your strop).

It is very simple to sharpen a straight edge like this. Just pick a shallow angle and rub the blade back and forth on the stone several times with the edge of the blade holder parallel to the stoneas a guide. Then flip it over and do the same on the other side. I just use a simple fine grained pocket stone with no oil or water.

I see where glue etc. would make a mess of things, but I would just keep a second knife for those purposes.

You can get tiny utility knives that fit on a key chain if box opening is the only use.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22790666

#289412 - 06/14/18 02:55 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: LCranston]
Russ Offline
Geezer

LCranston’s math is correct. A $20-$22 utility knife system will last a long time. The Milwaukee Utility Knife he mentioned looks like it would work well, I like that the blade can function as a hook knife and it has a cut-out to work as a wire stripper, nice touches. The Husky I linked to earlier is slightly less $$ (neither are expensive) and both are available at Home Depot.

My recommendation would be to check out Home Depot or another local Hardware store to look/touch before buying; if you see one you like, buy it. Do not start a utility knife collection, just buy one that works. The replaceable blade are pretty much standard across the different brands.

#289413 - 06/14/18 03:03 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I was thinking about Bingley’s idea of sharpening blades — I have the ability to sharpen knives and these aren’t much different. Then I had a cup of coffee and looked at LCranston’s math. Next time I’m at HD I’ll buy another 50 blade dispenser. The idea of sharpening a throwaway blade covered in tape/glue is just not interesting. Blades are cheap.

#289414 - 06/14/18 03:05 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Ren]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ren
The Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening.

S14
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23903...-38-red-handles

S17
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23913...ool-red-handles

I don't need those extra tools.

Originally Posted By: Ren
Another knife in similar to that Kabar is the Ontario RAT Model 2...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=ontario+rat+model+2

I considered the Dozer because that is what George Van Orden has used for years and has stated one reason for that: this knife is as good as a $100 knife. I have known about George for about twelve years and I give weight to his opinion because of his background, what he has accomplished and because of what Dour Ritter has said about him.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289416 - 06/14/18 03:38 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Cheap at half the price ... Utility knife plus 50 blades, $9.88.

One note on the various EDC knives mentioned with regard to cutting cardboard and blade geometry. Some hollow ground knives (such as the Dozier mentioned) make shallow cuts very nicely but as more of the blade is used the pressure stacks up because that narrow edge suddenly gets thicker. IMO a flat ground knife does better at slicing.

All that said, the utility knives mentioned use very thin blades that add very little pressure as they slice because the blade material itself is very thin, let alone the edge. For cardboard I’d go with a generic utility knife every time.

#289419 - 06/14/18 03:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Do you really open that many boxes that you need to EDC a box cutter? Even if you do, the cheap ones with replaceable blades are better, if you are opening boxes. A good knife is better for other things.

#289421 - 06/14/18 06:28 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

In the beginning, I was not thrilled with the idea of a utility knife because of my experiences with them. I worked for six years in a distribution center. The ones I'm familiar with are the slim, simple-designed slidders that use the single-sided safety razor blades. The other has the fat-handle that retracts when you let go. I was not a fan of either design. For that reason, I had negative images to overcome before considering a utility knife.

I thought the best thing to do is to see these new designs in action. I went to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys6vQ3pUZ40

From what I saw on YouTube, what was said in this forum and the lifetime warranty (bring it into The Home Depot, no receipt needed, no questions asked), I'm experiencing a favorable impression of Husky. There are several to choose. I'm not after the cheapest option. It will live in my pocket. Therefore it needs to be comfortable.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-T...lmax&NCNI-5

Jeanette Isabelle

#289422 - 06/14/18 06:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC.

#289423 - 06/14/18 07:02 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Good choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC.

Why? All I need is a pair of EMT shears and a separate tool for opening boxes. I considered the Dozier for opening boxes until others recommended a utility knife for that task.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289424 - 06/14/18 07:11 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Okay, just a different view on the nature of an EDC knife; we see different needs. As much as I like the Husky for opening boxes and cutting cardboard, I wouldn’t carry it as EDC. That said, both the tools you’ve selected are good and as long as they meet all your cutting needs, you’re good to go.

#289426 - 06/14/18 07:40 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Why not have a knife that will open the packages, able to be re-sharpened, has more than one blade and has other commonly used everyday tools??? The Swiss Army knife "tinker."

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-...wiss+army+knife

Seriously, I've carried the same one every day for going on for 30+ years, and used it in innumerable situations, including opening boxes. . .

#289428 - 06/14/18 08:45 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
Why not have a knife that will open the packages, able to be re-sharpened, has more than one blade and has other commonly used everyday tools??? The Swiss Army knife "tinker."

Seriously, I've carried the same one every day for going on for 30+ years, and used it in innumerable situations, including opening boxes. . .

I first considered a folder; others made a good argument for a box cutter to open boxes. Why do you think the SAK would be better for that task?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289429 - 06/14/18 09:40 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

I first considered a folder; others made a good argument for a box cutter to open boxes. Why do you think the SAK would be better for that task?

Jeanette Isabelle

1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

3) the blades of the SAK are relatively easy to sharpen.

4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

5) Downside is that it does not lock. I have never found this to be a problem, and in opening boxes, since the force you will exert is only in one direction, I don't think this is a critical issue.

It will do everything that I understand that you need to do, and so many potential and actual uses, IMO spending money on a dedicated box opener seems a waste when you can do what I understand that you need to do and have so much flexibility to do other things as an addition to your preps for a very reasonable cost---less than what you were originally thinking of.

#289430 - 06/14/18 09:53 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Taking another look at utility knives in general and they seem to come in at about 4+ ounces. The Dozier mentioned weighs about 2.4 ounces and the Spyderco Delica weighs 2.5 ounces. The weight difference may or may not be significant for Jeanette. As I carry a knife, 4 oz is way heavier than 2.5 ounces

As clarification on an earlier comment, I view EDC as a separate function than cutting boxes. A utility knife is somewhat specialized, using thin stock cheap replaceable blades rather than a better steel with a more robust, heavier blade design.

A Venn diagram would help. Consider two overlapping circles, one represents EDC knives, the other represents box cutters. Jeanette needs a knife that is in the overlap.

Do the folding utility knives we’ve been discussing fall into the overlap or in the box cutter circle but outside the overlap. That’s really a personal choice. I personally would not EDC a utility knife unless I was continually needing to cut boxes while out and about, and I didn’t need a knife for anything else. In my view, there are very few (zero) knives in the overlap. But that’s me. Utility knives are for tool boxes and bags, not clipping to the front pocket of my hiking shorts. The Benchmade 535 Bugout clipped to my pocket as I type weighs 1.8 ounces, heavier is noticeable.

#289432 - 06/14/18 11:31 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

I have established that my EMT shears will do almost everything I need a tool to do. I say "almost" because it does not open boxes, not very well. Since it does not open boxes, I need a second tool that will do the one job EMT shears cannot. Do you know of a device that will do everything EMT shears can do plus open boxes?

4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

It has other tools that you have used. That's fine for you. Telling me that I need a SAK would be like saying you need EMT shears. When I lived in Dallas, I knew a person who used a hammer for everything. If that's what works for him, that is what he needs to stay with.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289434 - 06/14/18 11:47 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
[quote=Russ]Taking another look at utility knives in general and they seem to come in at about 4+ ounces. The Dozier mentioned weighs about 2.4 ounces and the Spyderco Delica weighs 2.5 ounces. The weight difference may or may not be significant for Jeanette. As I carry a knife, 4 oz is way heavier than 2.5 ounces "

The Ace Hardware mini utility knife weighs less than an ounce.

Here is my usual EDC too. The Case Blackhorn. 1 ounce,locking, very sharp, cheap (It is light because there is no metal liners, so think of it as a scalpel, not a chisel or pry bar. It just lives on my key ring. I have burlier knives for the backcountry or at work.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA253/c...dles-lt1059l-ss

Edited by clearwater (06/15/18 12:04 AM)

#289435 - 06/14/18 11:57 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

It comes down to skills and with what you are familiar. For the past quarter century I’ve EDC’d a locking folder and for many years I’ve also carried scissors which collapse for pocket carry. Occasionally I also carry an SAK, rarely an SAK without the locking folder.

EMT shears are too bulky to fit in my pockets, so they stay in the FAK. Jeanette has a different POV.

#289437 - 06/15/18 12:08 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

I'll also (if this was what the others were referencing) heartily recommend a Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter as a GREAT low cost folding knife. I'm finding it for sale online for just under $20 (add shipping).

This is the folding knife (3" plain blade, black handle) I bought for my kids - under the thought that if they lost it then I'd only be out about $20. My son almost lost his while at Scout camp, but I happen to notice a Scout using a knife that looked just like the one he'd lost. I voiced admiration, asked if I could see it, and it had my son's initials scratched on the handle. Heh heh heh. He finally admitted he'd found it on a trail.

It has been tough enough for what they've put it through, light weight, and to me sized just right for EDC.

I notice that they now have a "Mini Dozier Folidng Hunter" with a 2-1/4" blade. That might suit your needs too - I know I prefer to carry the mini Rittergrip, though I have several regular Rittergrips.

By the way, if you want to learn to sharpen knives, I will STRONGLY recommend purchase and use of the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. It is awesome and makes sharpening knives, scissors, ... super easy. Search Youtube.com using "Spyderco Sharpmaker" to see a bunch of videos showing its use.

By the way, the Sharpmaker's standard angle is 20 degrees, which works for most knives, but it also has a 15 degree angle for back-bevels, which I use to sharpen the Rittergrips (which came with a 15 degree bevel).

#289440 - 06/15/18 12:37 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Another vote for the Sharpmaker. I used to sharpen free hand, but the Sharpmaker is great!

#289443 - 06/15/18 01:48 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: bws48]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT

Jeanette Isabelle

5) Downside is that it does not lock. I have never found this to be a problem, and in opening boxes, since the force you will exert is only in one direction, I don't think this is a critical issue.

It will do everything that I understand that you need to do, and so many potential and actual uses, IMO spending money on a dedicated box opener seems a waste when you can do what I understand that you need to do and have so much flexibility to do other things as an addition to your preps for a very reasonable cost---less than what you were originally thinking of.

I've carried a SAK--similar to the Tinker mentioned above--ever since high school. When opening boxes I pinch the small blade, so that only a little bit of the blade protrudes, so that I don't cut into the goods. The toothpick, tweezers, scissors, and corkscrew put this head and shoulders above a utility knife--although one of the guys at work has a husky, and it does work well.
As far a resharpening goes, it's a lot easier to resharpen this knife than "disposable blades".

#289449 - 06/15/18 02:14 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Jeanette_Isabelle,
This comes down to you, and what you want it to do.

Based solely on what you have said you want to use it for, if the EMT shears cover all your other needs, the box knife fits best.

This is just about you.
Dozier is a great knife. If you get that, find a cleaner, rubbing alcohol/ goo gone to clean it regularly. You will have issues sharpening with Tape glue on it.
It will be more versatile than the box knife, but more work.

Swiss Army with a locking blade is a great tool, if you need lots of versatility. ONLY thing bad is that lack of a clip, so you need a case, or not mind digging in a pocket.
same comments as above, Goo Gone, more versatile, more work.

Just to go in a TOTALLY different direction-- taking this to the logical extreme-- have you looked at something like this?

Sparco Fast-Point Snap-Off Blade Knife
The item is 43 CENTS, Heck, the item costs less than the replacement BLADES, lol. The snap off blades have 10+ sections, so you can snap off the dull piece. At the price, you could buy 45 of these for 20.00$
If ALL you need is box opening, they are Light, Cheap, Pretty Safe (Very little blade exposed)
They are designed for the job you specified. Specialized.

In the end, what do you want?

#289452 - 06/15/18 04:21 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: LCranston]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That is a different direction...
13-Point Breakaway Knife
or
ANVIL 18 mm and 9 mm Snap-Off Knife Set (2-Piece)

Both available at Home Depot. I’d never carry one, but I kinda like ‘em, pure throwaway.

#289453 - 06/15/18 04:38 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just to complete the array choices for J I's selection, consider this "Tactical Survival Axe"

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/...63#.WyPpqKdKjZY

This was advertised in our local paper and I thought of this thread immediately. Certainly no box can withstand a tactical survival axe, right?

When you absolutely, positively must open that box, go for the TSA!

Evidently there are other possible uses, as well...

#289454 - 06/15/18 05:01 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

At more than 15" that tool is longer than the three-cell MAG-LITE I use to EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289455 - 06/15/18 06:01 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
The selection is not complete without a certain YouTuber's favourite box opening implement...

https://www.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/diy/tools/easycut-12-3165140830843-2577102.jsp

Yes, a cordless mini chainsaw. smile

Edited by Ren (06/15/18 06:01 PM)

#289456 - 06/15/18 06:24 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

For when you need more precision than a survival axe when opening boxes.

#289457 - 06/15/18 06:31 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

That ax reminds me of Gallagher's all-purpose kitchen tool.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289458 - 06/15/18 07:40 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That ax reminds me of Gallagher's all-purpose kitchen tool...
Not familiar w/ Gallagher's all-purpose kitchen tool. Link? ...or was that Gallagher’s imagination running wild?

#289459 - 06/15/18 08:28 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

That ax reminds me of Gallagher's all-purpose kitchen tool.

Jeanette Isabelle

I assume you're speaking of the Sledge-O-Matic?

#289460 - 06/15/18 08:49 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: KenK]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
I assume you're speaking of the Sledge-O-Matic?

Do you know of any other tool he uses?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289461 - 06/15/18 08:58 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Not familiar w/ Gallagher's all-purpose kitchen tool. Link? ...or was that Gallagher’s imagination running wild?

Here is a video demonstrating his multi-purpose tool, the Sledge-O-Matic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErppAlOIGQE

Jeanette Isabelle

#289465 - 06/16/18 04:42 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Evidently there are other possible uses, as well...

Sounds like a ringing endorsement!

Regarding sharpening a disposable blade -- that was primarily in response to Jeanette's requirement that the tool continues to be useable if all the shops were closed in some sort of catastrophe. I've done it, and it's not hard at all. I used the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Maybe the angle was not the same as the original angle, but the blade worked.

Normally, it's just easier to replace the blade.

#289468 - 06/16/18 07:32 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Spyderco Ladybug is a great little keychain sized folder that can still be opened one handed, fits basically any place and can be found in straight or partially serrated (I prefer the straight for easier carrying)

#289470 - 06/16/18 08:16 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
As Russ mentioned the base steel for the Sypderco Dragonfly and Ladybug is VG-10, a much better steel than the [acceptable] AUS8 of the Kabar. The Spyderco is a bit more expensive to be sure but IMO it's worth the extra money. I like that there are several colors of scales for most of their models which is a nice touch. My personal Dragonfly is Orange which is pretty high-vis, nice for me as it makes it easier to keep track of.

#289471 - 06/16/18 02:31 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Here's a knife that will handle all cutting tasks (except food prep) realistically encountered in an urban environment:

I can highly recommend this Olfa H-1. It's a tank, and my go-to for construction work. I have had thinner, cheaper utility knives snap off or unlock under extreme pressure (the only time I needed stitches!). The "extra heavy duty" blades are thicker and wider, and well supported by the handle.

The blades are readily available. I also resharpen the tip when working, so each section of the blade lasts a very long time.

Cost: under $15 on Amazon. Every majory hardware chain carries these as well.

#289472 - 06/16/18 04:26 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Jeanette, have you heard of the Christy sliding knife?

http://www.christycompany.net/products/

It seems to match all your criteria;

Single hand opening
Locking blade with multiple positions
Small and slim so it should fit in even a woman's pockets.

Not trying to be mean here just saying I've noticed pockets on women's clothing seem to a lot smaller than men's.

Also the blade can either be sharpened or replaced if damaged.

Hope this helps

#289473 - 06/16/18 10:17 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Carpal Tunnel

I ordered the Husky folding utility knife yesterday.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289478 - 06/18/18 01:51 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good choice. Let us know what you think.

#289487 - 06/19/18 07:45 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I intended to order the smallest unit; instead, I accidentally ordered the next size up. After using it to open a box, I put it in my pocket where it has been all afternoon. I didn't notice it even when I worked on my next project.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289508 - 06/20/18 04:57 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I was at HomeDepot this AM and saw the folding box cutter I recommended; I think it’s the model Jeanette bought. When I made that rec I thought it was the same model I had but for some reason it looked different than my old one, so for $7.88 I bought another (complete with 10 blades). I got it home and compared side-by-side with my old one; they’re the same with some cosmetic changes. The new one is black anodized rather than silver’ish and the knurling is different - not necessarily better, just different. Anyway, now I have two very good folding box cutters, one on the counter where I open mail and boxes, with the new one clipped to my tool bag.

#289528 - 06/21/18 01:50 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

I like that you do not need a tool to change the blade on that one. Gerber has a real pretty one, but the need for a screwdriver to change the #### blade? Seriously??

Great choice! Tell us about it in a year or so.

#289564 - 06/22/18 06:35 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I exchanged the larger folding box cutter for the small one and I like it much better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-4-in-Compact-Folding-Lock-Back-Utility-Knife-97550/204757634

The one I have is in red.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289568 - 06/22/18 10:46 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The handle is too small for me but it’s a personal choice. I did not know they came in colors.

#289591 - 06/23/18 07:48 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

For years I used EMT shears on blister packages. Today when I received my new MAG-LITE I used the EMT shears and the box cutter on the blister package to see which it better. The box cutter cut through the plastic faster.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289613 - 06/24/18 12:20 AM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Pay attention to where the blade will go when (NOT IF) it slips. BTDT had the stitches. I learned that if I hold the knife right & cut away from the other hand and TOWARD my body, the hand will hit before the knife.

#290896 - 10/18/18 04:19 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Before this thread gets too old ...

I took another look at the Stanley Classic Retractable Blade Knife, rather than one of the newer folding versions. The advantage of the retractable knife is that you can choose to have very little blade showing, enough to cut through tape and open a box, but not enough to damage what may be in the box. With a folder, you get the full cutting edge each time — open or closed, all or nothing.

Cheap at less than $5, but uses the same utility blades.

#290898 - 10/18/18 04:46 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I took another look at the Stanley Classic Retractable Blade Knife, rather than one of the newer folding versions. The advantage of the retractable knife is that you can choose to have very little blade showing, enough to cut through tape and open a box, but not enough to damage what may be in the box.

I've used similar box cutters when I worked in the distribution center. I didn't like them.

The folder I bought feels more comfortable. I have small hands.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290900 - 10/18/18 06:16 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Milwaukee Flip Knife every time. None better.

#290905 - 10/19/18 02:04 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I found that an Old Timer Junior Stockman worked for me. It's a small, three bladed penknife. The biggest blade is probably only two inches, and easy enough to choke up on, if cutting depth is going to be an issue.

#290906 - 10/19/18 03:18 PM Re: Folder for Opening Boxes [Re: UncleGoo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Who needs a knife? Just shred them with your bare hands...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.