Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289315 - 06/10/18 05:12 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is very definitely a dry thread, but I have to as, just what is surfstromming (sp?). Sounds tricky, if the can has to bulkge before it is ready...

It might be perfect for those like me, if gas is generated before consumption, rather than after.

#289316 - 06/10/18 05:25 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Surströmming appears to be "sour herring".

#289318 - 06/10/18 05:31 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Surströmming is fermented baltic herring. It is canned before the fermenting has finished and continues to ferment after canning. This is why the can bulges.
If you plan to try it, plan for an outdoors event like a pickinic. It is not recommended serving it indoors.

#289319 - 06/10/18 05:44 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the explanation. I chuckle at my southern California orientedmisspelling of the item (surf=surts)

#289320 - 06/10/18 05:46 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: MoBOB]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Sounds like I need to get some to open up at times I really don't want to be where I am, and being asked to leave would be welcome. You know, those "required" social functions that you hate.

#289321 - 06/10/18 06:20 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#289324 - 06/10/18 07:05 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
That looks like that guy should have watched a tutorial first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRyr8yIo9w: How to eat Surströmming

#289325 - 06/10/18 07:15 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Thank you, one and all, for your comments. I am leaning more towards the canned and rotating stock vs the FD cans for in-place situations. I am sure there is a place for the FD, I just have to figure it out. Having the two options for dealing hunger cannot be a bad thing. It will come down to how much do I need for how long?

#289327 - 06/10/18 08:39 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: MoBOB]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am always puzzled by the popularity of freeze-dried foods, whether in cans or in smaller packets, for "survival." The point of freeze drying is to reduce weight, a huge virtue for many outdoor uses like backpacking or climbing, in environments where water is reasonably common or abundant. When potable water is lacking, freeze dried products are at a disadvantage.

I do have FD foods stocked because I still backpack, etc. but for just plain old domestic disasters I lay in canned goods right from the supermarket. They are cheap, nutritious, easy to prepare (right out of the can, if necessary, durable and heavy, because they contain water, an advantage in many circumstances. The right canned products are essentially civilian MREs, but much cheaper

FD products are really great in the right environment, which is not the typical disaster situation where potable water will usually be scarce.

My strategy for disaster eating is to eat perishable goods first (ice cream!!) and then turn to more durable items as time goes on.

To me long storage is important, as keeping a stock of canned food and rotating it is a bit of an issue, as I rarely use canned food. (tomato puree and beans are pretty much the only things I get in cans).

Fresh food does not store long enough for emergency's; so freeze dried or other 20+ year food is a simple buy once and not think about it for 2 decades solution. Bit expensive, but lack of required logistics is also great. Although the new NG-5 are also rated 20 years.

#289339 - 06/11/18 12:54 PM Re: Freeze-dried in a big can [Re: MoBOB]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've posted this video before, as it changed the way I approached long term food storage of staples... it is long, but LDS are the pros... I now vacuum seal my staples in quart canning wide mouth canning jars, with a jar adapter....

my short term supplies are rotated through their shelf life, and donated to the local food bank as they near best by date... in 2004 I discovered that the "chunky" soups and stews could be heated in a water bath (two families used the same heat source) and eaten directly from the can so hot water other than the heated cooking bath was not needed for clean up

the vacuum canned jars are replaced in their original shipping cardboard boxes and stored under my bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.