Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289278 - 06/09/18 03:47 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Montanero

We prepare for things that happen somewhere on a regular basis, as has been stated in other threads, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, power outages, loss of water supply, etc. ..etc... Things happen in life, and relying on someone else to help you out of it is dangerous, especially when you are expecting the government to handle it. Even the government has limited resources, many of their people lack training, their communications may not work effectively, or they may be overextended in handling large scale emergencies.

Should you worry about security? Yes. Should you be paranoid and live in fear of societal breakdown? No. Living in constant fear is counterproductive. A realistic threat assessment, based on factual historical information, is the basis of a good plan for preparedness.

Montanero speak with straight tongue!!

I might add, be part of the solution. Get training and hook up with other volunteers - in a CERT group, for example or some similar volunteer organization. I acquired first aid training up to EMT level and used it frequently for strangers who were subjects of rescues, but I frequently used it on family and friends, as well, dealing quickly with problems and getting them to definitive care before things ballooned out of control.

Timely response is a crucial factor in emergencies (the "Golden Hour"). the closer you are to the scene and the more skills you bring to bear, the more effective you are.

#289281 - 06/09/18 10:40 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Look up the definition of the word prepper in the urban dictionary. It is most closely associated with another name that some may not want to be associated with.
http://forums.equipped.org/rules.html

#289282 - 06/09/18 01:41 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: jshannon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

So I went immediately to the Urban Dictionary and found this:

"Someone who focuses on preparedness, generally for various worst-case scenarios like peak oil or armageddon. Sometimes used to avoid the more loaded term survivalist."

Now I know ETS states up front that it is not a survivalist forum (good!). There are alternative definitions of "prepper" in the UD, one of which emphasizes the negative aspects of the activity.

Reading on some threads, one does get the impression that many preppers will be really disappointed if TEOTW does come fairly soon - they have invested heavily.

#289284 - 06/09/18 03:23 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Reading on some threads, one does get the impression that many preppers will be really disappointed if TEOTW does come fairly soon - they have invested heavily.

I'm missing something. Why would the preppers be disappointed?

Edit: Let me add I believe it is possible to overprepare for a situation.

I'll give an example. Suppose you believe a catastrophic event will happen and the only safe place to be is in the desert. You have everything you think you need that will not be available in the desert. There are two potential problems: One, you could die before you even head to the desert. Two, depending on your mode of transportation or the lack thereof, you may not be able to bring with you everything you wanted.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (06/09/18 03:48 PM)

#289285 - 06/09/18 04:03 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Reading some threads (not all by any means) there seem to be folks who are preparing for The End and the Total Collapse, whereupon they will improve their lot considerably by virtue of their vast amounts of canned tomatoes and AR-15s. In the new order, they will rise to the top. The sooner that happens, the quicker they will improve their status...

One can think of all kinds of problems with that scenario, but there are many degrees and shades of "prepping," and in this thread I think we are discussing mostly the most extreme varieties of preparedness. Nothing at all wrong with paranoid people prepping - after all, they just might be right.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

#289286 - 06/09/18 05:26 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I prepare the way I do because I like the toys and other necessary equipment. If the end and total collapse actually arrives, and I find myself stuck in SOCAL with no way out I’ll be a bit peeved. That said, with current legislation coming in the next few years, I will probably have a PNW tag for my loc in the not too distant future. I’m not a native Cali and will not consider it a loss when I leave.

#289287 - 06/09/18 05:35 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Russ
I prepare the way I do because I like the toys and other necessary equipment.

Russ, you are giving away our true motivations. I could collapse REI if I sold all the gear, etc. that I have accumulated over the years because of my outdoor-oriented activities. And I'll bet we're not alone....

#289288 - 06/09/18 05:36 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
I prepare the way I do because I like the toys and other necessary equipment.

I'm that way with first aid equipment. I have four first aid kits in my bedroom, one in my EDC bag, one for the household and another for the car.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289294 - 06/09/18 08:06 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
A lot of my prep is simply living in a place where I don't need quite so much prep in the first place. We don't have hurricanes here, or earthquakes, or tornados (along the foothills), or forest fires (in the suburbs), or floods (we're up atop a large hill). We do have snow, but not the totally paralyzing kind like up in the northeast or along the great lakes. It can get cold, but not usually for prolonged periods, but if absolutely necessary I do have a bazillion linear feet of 6 foot wooden fence that would burn in our fireplace for a long time.

I do have water and food and adequate means of self defense stockpiled though. And a generator and a decent about of propane and gasoline.

Question: If you run out of water, can you drink a hot tub? That's 500+ gallons right there!

#289298 - 06/10/18 12:00 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Depends on what you were doing in it before. Boil it well.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.