Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289299 - 06/10/18 01:00 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I got moved around by my job a lot, coast to coast. (Some of my colleagues got moved overseas, so at least I got to stay domestic.) I was always just by myself, a stranger in a new town. It was hard to develop ties with the community (work, neighbors, etc.) when everyone knew you'd be gone soon. So I realized I needed knowledge and technology, because I couldn't count on anyone but myself. So I made plans for situations like: what if I got so sick that I couldn't move? (Actually had to execute that plan a few times.) People who live with at last one other person probably don't think about the importance of having a supply of water, medicine, and sanitary stuff right next to them in bed.

The skillsets for survival weren't instilled from other parts of my life. Many people got into prepping as an extension of camping. But there is not much that intersects with any of my skills, professional or otherwise -- other than actually experiencing emergencies such as hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, medical stuff, etc. People who have those skills tend to come from a different world, a different culture. So my horizon has been broadened as a consequence, and I'm better for it.

Also, moving around means one gets chances to learn about new problems. Crime in the cities, having access to nothing out in a two-horse town, tornados in the Midwest/South, freezing cold in the Upper Midwest, fires/earthquake on the West Coast, hurricanes on the Gulf, etc.

#289300 - 06/10/18 01:28 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Many people got into prepping as an extension of camping.

I became interested in prepping because I study Bible prophecy and because of personal experiences.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289301 - 06/10/18 02:58 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
Question: If you run out of water, can you drink a hot tub? That's 500+ gallons right there!

Yikes! The treatment chemicals for a hot tub are a potent brew. Fine for bathing -- and yet rinsing afterwards is SOP. But I would have grave reservations about ingesting this water in any amount, even boiled.

That said, I suspect the water could be reclaimed by a distilling process, which is not hard to scrounge together if you have a heat source.

#289326 - 06/10/18 08:00 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: haertig
Question: If you run out of water, can you drink a hot tub? That's 500+ gallons right there!

Yikes! The treatment chemicals for a hot tub are a potent brew.

Sodium Bicarbonate to raise the pH, Sodium Bisulfate to lower the pH, target pH is 7.2 - 7.8, Potassium Monopersulfate as a "shock oxidizer" (this I image is not good to eat, just by the ominous name of it!), Chlorine (probably dissipates with aeration?) and minerals. I think the minerals are to help stabilize pH and to create hardness, but I don't really know, nor do I know what the specific minerals used are. Then there's an ozone injection thingy and a quite extensive mechanical filtration system.

My wife wanted the hot tub, so I said she gets to be the chemist. I just do the soaking and relaxing myself!

The water looks as clear and fresh as a remote mountain stream. However, ... !!!

#289396 - 06/14/18 04:00 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I prep because it is a natural extension of me being a DIY guy. Also, there really is no downside to doing a reasonable amount of prepping. It only adds value to my life. Besides being practical, prepping is a good mental exercise, forces self awareness, forces world awareness, etc.

#289401 - 06/14/18 11:16 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I picked my name here deliberately. Much of what I carry, choose to learn, and so on comes from trying to learn from experience.

#289403 - 06/14/18 11:35 AM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Much of what I carry, choose to learn, and so on comes from trying to learn from experience.

Experience is the reason I EDC the items that I carry. Experience is the reason I will from now on bring extra lip balm and aspirin when I'm on a trip. Experience is the reason I'm considering a folder (or box cutter) to EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289961 - 07/18/18 07:00 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also, its kind of fun smile

#291403 - 12/13/18 09:13 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the strange answer is...
For very dull events

I plan for rainstorms, floods, etc and so on. If its unlikely to happens around here, I don't worry about it.

so no TEOTWAWKI ( and I feel fine), no zombies, no EMP's

#291406 - 12/13/18 10:29 PM Re: Why Are We Preparing? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
When someone cuts themselves and needs a band-aid or needs a piece of tape or a knife or something to light a fire I have always been that nerd who can simply pull out of his wallet or a pocket. Just today one of my coworkers needed a knife and everyone pointed in my direction at the same time “Macs got one for sure, he always carries a knife”

My reply was “why the hell doesn’t everyone else?”

Trying to be prepared for what life throws at you (simple or complex)seems like common sense to me.

Edited by Taurus (12/13/18 10:30 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.