Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289249 - 06/07/18 10:33 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: quick_joey_small]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
> were there actual "Mad Max" situations in history?

There was nothing but 'mad max' examples before a few centuries ago. Towns were walled, everyone was armed. No police forces, no guarantee of redress in law.... and violence to wives and children taken as given.

Maybe we have really different ideas about what "Mad Max" means. In ancient, medieval, and early modern periods, many regions had some form of government and economy. Politics was already "international," and so was trade. System of taxation, currency, classes of people to do the necessary specialized jobs (farmers, artisans, scribes, etc.). There was law, and even rights. There was some form of policing, though it invariably served the powerful rather than the powerless. There was an educational system (though, again, mostly for the elite), and institutions for preserving knowledge and cultural legacy. Sure, all this varied from period to period, region to region, etc. But unless you deliberately disappear (the pre-modern equivalent of "going off the grid"), I don't know how likely it was to find oneself in the sort of anarchic solo homesteading with marauding bandits that want to "take your stuff." There were people coming to "take your stuff" for sure, but those were the representatives of the government, and the stuff they took was called taxes.

#289250 - 06/07/18 11:13 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Typically they indulge in "Mad Max" scenarios which envision a total breakdown of society, starving hoards looting and pillaging, and the virtuous, saintly far sighted preppers having to defend their goods against the unprepped. Hence endless discussions of "How much ammo? What caliber? What rate of fire? etc. etc? OPSEC"

"Mad Max" scenarios may indeed be extremely rare to non-existent. But still, I'd rather have the skill and hardware to make a 1000 yard shot than not. Besides, it's fun to learn, practice and be able to score a clean hit at that distance! I have more fun thinking about what skills/equipment I currently have and how I could use it in some scenario (oddball Mad Max ones included - fun to think about, if nothing else!) But I don't go out and buy or stockpile stuff specifically for any of these one in a million things.

#289255 - 06/08/18 12:12 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If the description of "Mad Max" includes "global scale," then no. I do not believe that would happen. If it were and I prepared for a year, that would only delay the inevitable.

I believe some areas will become desolate; others will not. That's why I want to prepare for at least four months. Four months should be enough to relocate even under adversity.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289261 - 06/08/18 03:14 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Remember what the asteroid did to the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. There is no reason to think there isn't another rock out there with our number on it. That would truly begin a global catastrophe that could lead to our extinction as a species, and the next phase of evolution.

We are tracking close by celestial objects, and we do have the means to divert anything which poses a danger, so that might not be a real problem...,

But that won't stop earthquakes, and I have a ringside seat on the Ring of Fire in southern California, so I try to prep for that. No mirrors ontheceiling, stash water and essentials where they are likely to be retrievable (good tips on this website), and keep alert. I plan to camp out on my property, retrieve material from within my home, and help others, starting with Mrs. Hikermor, if I can.

Historically, fires follow major quakes, as gas lines are ignited and power lines fall. There is a big parking lot across the street and a grassy park around the corner. In a major event, we will probably have to improvise, because emergencies are emergencies because they present the unanticipated.

We do not exist in a vacuum, and help will eventually arrive, by sea and air, if not by land (the roads will probably be a mess, which is why leaving will probably not be an option).

Of course, I might be an immediate casualty, so survivors are welcome to my stash. Please eat the ice cream before it melts.

#289262 - 06/08/18 03:32 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto what Hikermor said, but I really want to see that diverting an asteroid/comet thing in action before I believe that NASA or some other organization can really do it. Theory is one thing and it’s easier said than done.

#289269 - 06/08/18 07:40 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, don't dress like a prepper.

No 5.11 pants, jump boots and tactical packs. You'll kind of stand out in the board room.

#289271 - 06/08/18 08:30 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: TeacherRO]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Well, 5.11 polo and pants is my work clothing so I'm not very 'grey' most days. I do keep a 'civilian' set of clothing in the car and can change out when/if needed. I also don't drive a marked vehicle unless at work as I commute to the office - a guy in a Prius is not very prepper (but maybe preppie?) looking.

As my job has me working with a lot of 'prepared' thinking people it's sort of funny in that we all have the same experience of being the neighborhood "expert" and when anything starts to go off-kilter, the guy down the block wants my advice. I try to downplay it but most everyone in our little community knows my work/background and often will reach out to me on issues. It is an OPSEC issue true, but it has also allowed me to be far more aware of my neighbors and who can be counted on if need be.

Paul -

#289272 - 06/08/18 11:05 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I have a couple of pairs of 5.11 pants, which are semi dressy for me these days (retired). I like them because they are cargo pants with inconspicuous pockets, esp. in dark blue.

#289274 - 06/09/18 02:51 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I bought my first Royal Robbins 5.11 trousers from an outfitter back East in 1985, but lost interest after the company was rebranded to 5.11 Tactical, the word is toxic. After I bought my first pair of RailRiders I stopped wearing RR 5.11 pants — it’s a cotton canvas versus nylon thing. RailRiders ultralight ripstop nylon is very comfortable and great on long walks.

#289277 - 06/09/18 03:25 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

5.11s are now available in nylon, a very sensible change. I have worn out the earlier cotton versions. Cotton in general is disappearing from my wardrobe.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.