Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289224 - 06/06/18 11:51 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: M_a_x]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I imagine every ETS member is a prepper.

Probably you are wrong about it. I would not consider myself as a prepper in the usual sense. Maybe others wont either.

+1; Having worked in the emergency management and currently working with them; I see where having lots of things can make things a logistical nightmare. Add one device and you need to:

1) spend money to buy it.
2) train in using it and repeat it, so you won't forget
3) takes time and money to maintain
4) takes up space
5) potentially add hazards

So, although I liked to be prepared, I do so on a rather lean method. So people coming to my place, rather say I have little stuff. As I also have a minimalist tendency.

#289225 - 06/06/18 12:45 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
You probably just shut down your own thread.
Discussion of illegal activites is not allowed on this website.

Good grief. That joke was in response to Bingley's comment about taking a class on being better criminals.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289226 - 06/06/18 12:53 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tjin
So, although I liked to be prepared, I do so on a rather lean method. So people coming to my place, rather say I have little stuff. As I also have a minimalist tendency.

For the time being what I can do is top off and maintain a four-month stock of things I routinely use. That and make sure all of my first aid supplies are current.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289228 - 06/06/18 02:20 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Yes, I mean filtering information. If you feel, that withholding information makes the replies useless, do not post. That may sound harsh, but information managment is part of being prepared too. Be realistic though. As pointed out by others, tracking you down to travel to your home to rob you is a substantial effort for skilled people and probably your possessions are just not worth it. Your predators may very likely come from the extended neighbourhood. The forum knowing that I might own a Winchester 1873 is not much of a problem. A photo in the local news bulletin associating me with a local gun club is a bigger risk. That could create mislead ideas and require some wet works.
I try to limit spreading of personal data. I annoyed some fairly good looking females by doing so. They were really angry when they learned that I donīt date Facebook users.

#289229 - 06/06/18 03:28 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
> Good grief. That joke was in response to Bingley's comment
> about taking a class on being better criminals.

Glad to hear it was a joke (though I still don't get it).
And it's a dangerous one. You just confessed to a crime on a public forum. I thought you were the one wary of what you said. Expect that to come back to you if you are ever in court.
"So Isabelle you are a self confessed criminal".

We had a name for lippy delinquents who liked to joke like that, when I wore blue: prisoners.

"Is it my car officer? No I've stolen it".

"Sierra Alpha can I have a car to the high street, I have a prisoner"
qjs

#289230 - 06/06/18 03:31 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I lurk on some "survivalist" groups, more for grins rather than any useful information. Typically they indulge in "Mad Max" scenarios which envision a total breakdown of society, starving hoards looting and pillaging, and the virtuous, saintly far sighted preppers having to defend their goods against the unprepped. Hence endless discussions of "How much ammo? What caliber? What rate of fire? etc. etc? OPSEC"

I call BS on all that monkey business. My scenario tends otherwise because I have usually been inclined to assist in times of distress, as a volunteer SAR respondee (which sometimes requires really significant effort) and during a career in the National park Service (which often has very positive aspects). When the next episode of trouble arrives at my doorstep, i intend to patch up my situation, tend to family and neighbors, and then reach out to others to minimize distress and rebuild.

Homo sapiens is a social critter, and we have gotten where we are through cooperation and group expertise. Look at history and you will find that Mad Max scenarios are rare and isolated, and not the way of progress or repair,often a strategy which involves a lot of hard, grinding labor (terribly unromantic and not the stuff of fantasy).

Looking back, working in SAR has been a powerful, positive influence in my life - thank heavens! I just spend a very long day as a poll worker in our primary election and that is my current contribution to a stable, productive society. Most definitely not glamorous.

Will my S&W Mod 28 be enough to hold off the masses, provided they can find my fortified, booby trapped bunker?? Enquiring minds want to know....

#289232 - 06/06/18 04:45 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I lurk on some "survivalist" groups, more for grins rather than any useful information. Typically they indulge in "Mad Max" scenarios which envision a total breakdown of society, starving hoards looting and pillaging, and the virtuous, saintly far sighted preppers having to defend their goods against the unprepped. Hence endless discussions of "How much ammo? What caliber? What rate of fire? etc. etc? OPSEC"

I call BS on all that monkey business. My scenario tends otherwise because I have usually been inclined to assist in times of distress, as a volunteer SAR respondee (which sometimes requires really significant effort) and during a career in the National park Service (which often has very positive aspects). When the next episode of trouble arrives at my doorstep, i intend to patch up my situation, tend to family and neighbors, and then reach out to others to minimize distress and rebuild.

Homo sapiens is a social critter, and we have gotten where we are through cooperation and group expertise. Look at history and you will find that Mad Max scenarios are rare and isolated, and not the way of progress or repair,often a strategy which involves a lot of hard, grinding labor (terribly unromantic and not the stuff of fantasy).

Looking back, working in SAR has been a powerful, positive influence in my life - thank heavens! I just spend a very long day as a poll worker in our primary election and that is my current contribution to a stable, productive society. Most definitely not glamorous.

Will my S&W Mod 28 be enough to hold off the masses, provided they can find my fortified, booby trapped bunker?? Enquiring minds want to know....
Well said, hikermor! I totally agree!

#289235 - 06/06/18 05:43 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Well said. There are scenarios more likely than the "Mad Max" scenario.
A common one is burglars looking for overly filled mailboxes or asking neighbours when their buddy will be back home as they want want to visit him.
I have a mutual agreement with my next door neighbour to empty the mailbox during vacation. I kind of scared him into not telling people when Iīll be home from work or vacation. Planting the idea that they may check out when he is alone in the house so they can make him surrender stuff like his car keys may not be gentlemanlike but it sure got the message home.

That S&W Mod 28 sure is a nice piece and should offer plenty in the rate of fire department. This gentleman puts 12 rounds on a target in less than 3 seconds with a six shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

#289236 - 06/06/18 05:55 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Yes, I mean filtering information. If you feel, that withholding information makes the replies useless, do not post.

It's not entirely useless. Bare in mind when we are on this subject I would have to withhold information. Thereby a person may tell me to do something I have done; I can't reveal to them I already have. On the flipside, a person may tell me to do something that, for whatever the reason, I can't do or should not do. Again, I may not be at liberty to explain that.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289237 - 06/06/18 06:05 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Glad to hear it was a joke (though I still don't get it).

Bingley said, "It really sounds like you guys could use a class on being better criminals."

His statement conjures images of credited college courses on being a professional criminal complete with lectures and lab time.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.