The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289169 - 06/01/18 07:44 AM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I use Imgur, it's free and pretty user friendly.

#289170 - 06/01/18 08:58 AM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I use Imgur, it's free and pretty user friendly.

I used that service when Photobucket only had expensive plans. I still had the problem I mentioned in my previous post: Editing every forum post containing a Photobucket link would be a nightmare.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289171 - 06/01/18 09:47 AM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, I was just speaking in general terms. I'm glad PB relented and added more affordable options.

#289172 - 06/01/18 10:18 AM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
Every member of any forum on the net knows about the Photobucket money grab, and what those dead links seen in posts mean. It's a constant reminder to folks, "Don't ever use Photobucket" because this is what you'll get when they grab for your wallet (and they most likely will, again).

Protesting does not work. Boycotting a company until they comply with the demands of their customers has proven its self to work.

It is as I said in the opening post: "Asking customers to pay for a service is reasonable; the price they're asking is not."

Jeanette Isabelle

#289173 - 06/01/18 11:46 AM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There’s probably no need to move all the images from PB to another host. Old images go to old posts and threads that are rarely viewed, so the “reasonable” fee is still a waste. But this from someone who is drifting from a smartphone to a flip-phone.

#289174 - 06/01/18 01:30 PM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Protesting does not work.

It's not protesting. It's learning. "Well, I'll certainly never use THAT company again!"

Protesting would imply somehow making the company aware of your actions. Marching in front of their headquarters with signs, hosting an online petition, etc. Just walking away silently and avoiding similar problems in the future is learning from experience. Photobucket may be left scratching their heads wondering why their customers left (I'm sure they know exactly why, no head scratching required). But that's of no concern to the ex-customers who simply walked away in search of a better solution. No protest. Just an exodus.

Some customers may have protested. And they are the ones who are now thinking they won the battle, are using Photobucket again, paying fees this time. Everybody gets to make their own choice. Paying Photobucket after what they did to their customers may be the best choice for some people. But most simply walked away. The "dead image" links you see all over the internet now attest to that.

#289175 - 06/01/18 01:49 PM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

It's not protesting. It's learning. "Well, I'll certainly never use THAT company again!"

So that's why we are not driving Edsels or Studebakers anymore! I always wondered....

#289176 - 06/01/18 04:16 PM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Old images go to old posts and threads that are rarely viewed, so the “reasonable” fee is still a waste.

They are still there and they are viewed by anyone looking at old posts. I have fanfiction I've written going back eleven years. In some of them, I included images.

I went back to a forum where I often wrote and I can see every Photobucket image, even ones belonging to a person who has been dead six years. Either Photobucket reactivated everyone's account for no reason or, as a paid customer, I can see everybody's Photobucket image.

Originally Posted By: Russ
But this from someone who is drifting from a smartphone to a flip-phone.

When I lived in Dallas, the capability of texting was handy. Now that I no longer text, I miss having a phone with tactile buttons.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289177 - 06/01/18 04:31 PM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Protesting comes in many forms. A person can protest to vent without the attempt of making a change.

Anyhow, you're right. If Photobucket had affordable plans from the start, they would not have permanently driven off customers. Not only that, they lost an entire year of sales from customers who would have bought one of their affordable plans but not the $400 commercial plan.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289178 - 06/01/18 04:39 PM Re: Third-Party Hosting [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor

So that's why we are not driving Edsels or Studebakers anymore! I always wondered....

Did you get rid of your Model T?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.