Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289103 - 05/24/18 04:29 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just for perspective, how many have died as the result of encounters with dogs? honey bees? various insects??

Be alert for mountain lions,for sure, but they aren't the only hazard out there. Statistically, they are trivial.

If you live around honey bees, dogs, or various insects.

If you live around other hazards the risk goes up for those.

Here is the bear researcher that just got munched by hanging around bears.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...m=.a925374acfea

I liked the comment below about how she should have been carrying ANTI-bear spray. She just had bear spray, a common mistake.

#289104 - 05/24/18 04:37 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just for perspective, how many have died as the result of encounters with dogs? honey bees? various insects??

Be alert for mountain lions,for sure, but they aren't the only hazard out there. Statistically, they are trivial.

I always go with the odds when planning.
Facts rather than fear.

#289106 - 05/24/18 04:43 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I have encountered exactly 2 cougars in all my years of tramping around the outdoors.

The first one was way too close for comfort and left me spooked for quite some time. The second was a bit further away and it was a privilege to see such a magnificent animal for a few long seconds before it bounded away.

As HM mentioned, plenty of other threats out there that will take you down and snuff out your life in an instance, before an extremely rare chance of a cougar attack ever will.

I have only seen two myself. But have several friends who have been stalked. One in California, others in WA. Those cats are out there and they are thinking about you as possible pray, at least in passing.

I think wildlife management practices have changed and that has led to the increase in MT LIon incidents we see in WA state in the last 20 years. The numbers of cats has increased, the methods of take and number allowed to be taken have been reduced. Scientists tell us the population is self regulating as the excess cats are chased off by the others, which leaves them starving (like this cat that attacked the bikers) and roaming in populated areas.

Like hikemor mentioned, bees could get you first. With the honey bee die off and the cougar (and pit bull) populations on the rise, some of those hazards may switch places in the stats.

#289112 - 05/24/18 08:16 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My favorite climbing area (Baboquivari Peak, SW of Tucson, AZ) is prime mountain lion country. I have observed cat tracks covering my ascending trail while on descent the same day (stalking or curious?). A rancher observed that he had never raised a colt to maturity in the 30+/- years he had been living there.

A local feature on the peak is named "Lion Ledge," for obvious reasons. Over the years I have made more than seventy ascents, many involving overnight camps.

I have never seen a kitty cat, although I am sure they have seen (or smelled!) me.. Babo was first climbed in the 1890s and is now a popular destination - one of the few Arizona peaks where a rope is required to reach the summit. Over the years there has been at least one climbing fatality, but none due to kitties (nor injuries, either, for that matter.

The Babo kitties must be well fed - lots of coatimundis, rabbits, and colts to feast on. Besides climbers are tough and stringy.

Times have changed since I was there. Many more problems with drug smuggling and other border issues than with cats.

Other ranges is S. AZ have populations of mountain lions and encounters are quite rare. No fatalities that I know of...

This is one reason I am somewhat blase about dealing with wild critters. I was active in SAR here for decades, and fatalities from falls and drownings were common. We lost seven in about twenty minutes one fine spring day due to a flash flood - took the rest of the week to find and recover their bodies.

#289117 - 05/25/18 01:40 AM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I spent a couple of weeks in 1995 solo camping on the Eastern edge of the Grand Canyon National Park and had a mountain lion check me out every night. I had some borrowed night vision goggles and could see her sitting on the next hill looking at me. I found new tracks around the area every day. I did build a barrier of sorts with branches around my bed down area, but she never bothered me. Saw her once during daylight hours with a cub. There were so many mule deer, elk and antelope around that I did not present a more appetizing meal.

I got up close and personal with a lot of wildlife on that trip, it was excellent.

#289119 - 05/25/18 03:30 AM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I'll bet your experience was more common than we realize. Cats are very unobtrusive. Cool!!

#289120 - 05/25/18 03:37 AM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
As my friend always says: "If you have not ever and unknowingly been stalked by a cougar, then you have not spent enough time in the outdoors."

Of course, this also depends on where you live as not all areas are cougar habitat.

John Lubbock

#289125 - 05/25/18 01:17 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

A lot of us may be closer to cougar habitat than we think. There is a viable cougar population in the Santa Monica mountains, adjacent to metropolitan Los Angeles. In my own community, I have seen coyotes, the furry, four legged kind, roaming the city streets...

#289126 - 05/25/18 02:36 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I remember a news story once that described a mountain lion being tracked in downtown LA.

#289127 - 05/25/18 03:59 PM Re: Defending against cougars, the bears of the woods [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Coyotes are fairly common in SOCAL. My dog and I have been shadowed in the neighborhood park (which sits at the edge of a wildlife sanctuary/ravine) on morning walks but the ‘yotes generally keep enough distance from the human (me). OTOH, given the opportunity, they’d take the dog in a heartbeat as they have taken other small dogs and neighborhood cats who thought to get back to nature by hunting rabbits... and the hunter becomes dinner.

A cougar here would get a wee bit more attention.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.