Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#289095 - 05/24/18 02:52 AM The case for Stainless Steel Knives
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Received this Mora as a Christmas present in 2017. Mistakenly took it, (instead of a stainless version) out on the boat for ocean fishing. Used the knife to clean a salmon then left it in the tackle box for about a month. As you can see, a carbon knife does not take well to a saltwater environment at all.

Planning now to use it as a garage bench knife, but every time I look at, all I can think is I need to update my tetanus shot.

John Lubbock

#289098 - 05/24/18 04:11 AM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How deep is the pitting? Let us know how long it took to remove the pitting from the edge. Years ago I saw a Randall #1 IIRC with a similar salt water corrosion issue which resulted in some deep pitting. O-1 steel does not like to go scuba diving.

#289107 - 05/24/18 04:48 PM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Teslinhiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Yep, should have used a Case® stainless knife.

#289109 - 05/24/18 05:25 PM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: clearwater]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Received this Mora as a Christmas present in 2017. Mistakenly took it, (instead of a stainless version) out on the boat for ocean fishing. Used the knife to clean a salmon then left it in the tackle box for about a month. As you can see, a carbon knife does not take well to a saltwater environment at all. ...

A stainless Mora may have been fine. Actually the carbon Mora would have been okay if it had been cleaned and dried rather than being put away wet. Salmon blood and salt water are a bad mix for a carbon blade.

Sorry for your loss.

#289110 - 05/24/18 07:09 PM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ

A stainless Mora may have been fine. Actually the carbon Mora would have been okay if it had been cleaned and dried rather than being put away wet. Salmon blood and salt water are a bad mix for a carbon blade.

Sorry for your loss.

Having been a lifelong fisherman, I am very well aware of saltwater marine environments and the effects it can have on a carbon blades... This was a small mistake of leaving the knife in that environment.

No need to be sorry, it is not like I lost my best friend or anything. One of the great qualities of Mora knives is that they are cheap to replace.

John Lubbock

#289115 - 05/24/18 09:58 PM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While that knife certainly looks ghastly, would it not clean up to the point of serviceability, perhaps with some sharpening, so that it could slice and dice just fine?

#289121 - 05/25/18 03:41 AM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
While that knife certainly looks ghastly, would it not clean up to the point of serviceability, perhaps with some sharpening, so that it could slice and dice just fine?

I cleaned the knife up and resharpened it, but it is still gnarly looking. I'll just use it as a garage knife as I have a couple of stainless Mora's that I usually have on hand for fishing.

John Lubbock

#289122 - 05/25/18 04:17 AM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I have a few knives in that condition and they are totally serviceable. I like to think of it as having character. Pristine knives in the box or in a “collector” drawer (collecting dust) may be better for your grandkids to inherit, but they have no character. Clean it up and sharpen as necessary, and then use it as you normally would; there’s nothing gained leaving it in the garage.

#289123 - 05/25/18 04:59 AM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
I have a few knives in that condition and they are totally serviceable. I like to think of it as having character. Pristine knives in the box or in a “collector” drawer (collecting dust) may be better for your grandkids to inherit, but they have no character. Clean it up and sharpen as necessary, and then use it as you normally would; there’s nothing gained leaving it in the garage.

I do a lot of wood working projects and carving, so rest assured, my knives and tools are not drawer queens nor suffer from lack of use...

John Lubbock

#289145 - 05/26/18 09:30 PM Re: The case for Stainless Steel Knives [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
So, to get to the point of this thread, what case do you recommend for SS knives?

Is there a special case for rusty ones??

Edited by hikermor (05/26/18 09:31 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.