Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#289028 - 05/18/18 08:07 PM Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues [Re: Phaedrus]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Without getting political or any more than necessary, it seems that punishing Govt agencies by filing lawsuits doesn't work that well. They pay or settle with our money, not their own.

The idea (hope?) is that if the taxpayers of a jurisdiction pay out enough of their tax dollars because of the failures of their government, they may decide to vote differently at the next election, and vote in folks who will be more demanding of the government agencies under their supervision/command.

In my analysis, the key issue is the "negligence," (if any) of the responding organizations. Black's Law dictionary defines negligence as "NEGLIGENCE. The omission to do something which a reasonable man, guided by those considerations which ordinarily regulate the conduct of human affairs, would do. or doing something which a prudent and reasonable man would not do. It must be determined in all cases by reference to the situation and knowledge of the parties and all the attendant circumstances."

IMO, the facts as we know them, seem to show a Keystone Kops scenario of "not my job." As has been pointed out, various rescue scenario's in this area were not uncommon, and the procedures and responsibilities to deal with various scenarios should have been well understood and worked out, and agreed to. Apparently, this was not the case.

So, regardless of the failings of the victim, if the death resulted from delay caused by the negligence (see above definition) of the various organizations whose mission it was to save him (even from his own screw up), IMO, the lawsuit is justified in the hope that the various organizations will correct their failings, or the taxpayers who have to foot the bill for those failings will force them to.

#289034 - 05/19/18 05:21 AM Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess I don't have enough information to know how often fines result in behavioral changes for Govt agencies. It seems at first blush to not phase them. I suppose we don't really know if they were negligent or not until the trial. Since I have no SAR experience I have no idea if the response time was good or bad.

#289035 - 05/19/18 05:45 AM Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues [Re: clearwater]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What does the Medical Examiner say? Is there enough evidence to support four hours being too long? What would have been the reasonable time for competent medical treatment for prevention of death?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.