Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#288930 - 05/10/18 04:05 PM stuff you don't see in EDC...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm often surprised by what I don't see in people's kits:
- cash
- Sunglasses
- spare key
- extra contacts/ solution
- pen
- ibuprofen
- spare cell charger/ battery
- water bottle

#288931 - 05/10/18 04:54 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
People's situations, needs, and perceptions are different. i don't carry spare contacts because I wear glasses (my spare glasses are in my vehicle because I must wear glasses to drive legally).

I always carry a canteen when hiking but not whenrunning errands around town.

At one point in my life, when working in Canyon de Chelly (NE Arizona), my EDC included at a minimum sixty feet of 9mm climbing rope - for some projects this was upscaled to 600 feet of 11mm cord. But I always had the minimum....and there were times I was very glad I did.

EDC is a very individual thing...

#288935 - 05/10/18 11:11 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
- spare key

Why do I need two keys?

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

I wear glasses, not contacts.

Jeanette Isabelle

#288936 - 05/10/18 11:41 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Gloves! Some sort of abrasion resistant hand protection. This magnifies your strength many times over. Leather still wins, even if it's a thin sport or driving glove.

#288937 - 05/10/18 11:48 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Gloves! Some sort of abrasion resistant hand protection. This magnifies your strength many times over. Leather still wins, even if it's a thin sport or driving glove.

I EDC based on my experiences. Based on my experiences, I don't need to EDC gloves.

Jeanette Isabelle

#288938 - 05/11/18 12:46 AM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Totally agree on leather gloves in survival kits, not sure they’re required for EDC. I just happen to have both leather work-gloves and fingerless leather climbing gloves in my large-ish truck kit and if I’m going anywhere cold (be it northern latitudes or higher elevations) there will be gloves suitable for the temps. Just not sure they’re required for EDC.

Jeanette - following a hurricane in your neck of the woods, a good pair of work gloves would probably help in clean-up. You don’t want all the broken stuff (shards of glass, splinters of wood et al) causing you to break out one of your FAK’s... Just a thought. Again, probably not required for EDC.

#288939 - 05/11/18 07:40 AM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
- cash
I carry several $20's, but I never use them. The ones currently in my wallet have been there for several years. I guess I might need them some day.

- Sunglasses
I always have these. Some people are more sensitive to sunlight than others though. For many years, I never used, or needed sunglasses. That changed as I got older.

- spare key
A key to what? The only time I carry a spare is on a vacation. The driver has one car key. The alternate driver has the other. Never does the same person have both keys. Other than that, my spare keys are stored in the "spare key cabinet" at home.

If I wore contacts, my "spare" would be my glasses. I can imagine many things that could happen (e.g., sand blown into your eyes) where you'd probably rather take out your contacts and use glasses instead.

- pen
If I need to make note of something, usually I take a picture with my cellphone or tablet. I can also enter notes directly into either of those if need be. The batteries could die, but in many decades of life I've just never had any emergency need to take a note.

- ibuprofen
Might be important if you routinely have headaches or something. Luckily, I use stuff like this rarely, and would just stop at a store and buy some if I needed it. Or do without.

- spare cell charger/ battery
If you're in an urban area, everybody and his brother will have a cell phone you could borrow to make an emergency call. If you're in the middle of nowhere, you probably don't have cell service anyway. I carry a cell phone that is fully charged in the morning when I leave home. The battery typically lasts for several days for me f I don't charge it.

- water bottle
I usually have water with me. More for convenience than for emergencies.

Hiking and traveling into remote areas is one thing, but for the EDC that this thread is about, I don't worry too much about carrying extra stuff for emergencies. My EDC tends to be more convenience stuff. I have extra stuff in the car, but I don't actually carry that and don't consider it EDC. It's available quickly most of the time, but not necessarily immediately.

I EDC a folding knife and small flashlight because I use these literally several times each day. Also a firearm - not because I expect to use it, but because there is no substitute and zero allowable delay if I do need it. You might also consider my mug of coffee to be EDC too, since you never see me without it!

#288940 - 05/11/18 12:01 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Are there such a thing as thorn proof gloves?
How are you going to get into your home to reach the spare key cabinet if you lose your house key?
My 2017-2018 academic diary is falling to bits. Anyone know ones that last?

qjs

#288941 - 05/11/18 02:54 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Are there such a thing as thorn proof gloves?

Depends on the thorn. I have seen mesquite thorns puncture truck tires - muy fuerte!!!

I like a pair of thin gloves for "normal" extensive handling, and a pair of sturdy leather gloves for tougher stuff, and then there should be pairs of nitrile gloves for first aid/contaminate situations.

Gloves can be really useful at times.

#288943 - 05/11/18 03:20 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If you injure your hands badly enough, you can't use them. Gloves go a long way to protecting your hands from injury.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.