Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#288912 - 05/08/18 12:22 AM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Roarmeister]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not the most auspicious start of testing, but I am sure they will get the bugs worked out.

In regards to reports that some people did not get the alerts on their phone. Looks like there was the main issue with the test itself. The other being what I posted earlier today, in that many people thought they would get the alerts, but their phones were not compatible or on a LTE network.

Remains to be seen how the next round of testing goes on May 9th.

Wednesday
Yukon 1:30 p.m.
Northwest Territories 1:55 p.m.
Alberta 1:55 p.m.
British Columbia 1:55 p.m.
Saskatchewan 1:55 p.m.
Manitoba 1:55 p.m.
Newfoundland and Labrador 1:55 p.m.
Nova Scotia 1:55 p.m.
Prince Edward Island 1:55 p.m.
New Brunswick 6:55 p.m.

John Lubbock

#288914 - 05/08/18 03:36 AM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nothing on either of our phones today. We'll see on Wednesday.

#288919 - 05/08/18 02:16 PM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
This could be a very good thing. The devil is always in the details, of course. But it looks like it doesn't rely on SMS (texting) or data services (mine is usually turned off). All it needs is an LTE capable phone and a connection to a tower.

Guess I’m in luck if ever in Canada. The new phone I got for long walks (because I never carry my large’ish, drop-prone smartphone) is a 3G/4G/LTE enabled (not smart) flip-phone. Excellent voice quality, ruggedized and easy to carry which is all I wanted for this phone. If I’m out & about and I need a phone, I probably really need a phone. With this one if I take a fall the phone has a better than even chance of still functioning.

It’s one of the many Kyocera models (depending on your carrier)...
Quote:
...Reinforced housing, IP68 dustproof and waterproof, and Military Standard 810G protection for dust, shock, drop, vibration, temperature extremes, blowing rain, low pressure, solar radiation, salt, fog, humidity and immersion for up to 30 minutes in up to 6.5 feet (2 meters) of water. ...

No affiliation other than as a customer.

#288922 - 05/08/18 05:31 PM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
As expected, my phone didn't go off. The alert just came across my tv though. It was very clear that it was a test. Phew!

The test failed on Quebec cell phones. Apparently the sender of the signal to the cellular service providers didn't work; but the signal to TV stations did work.

My husband didn't get an alert on his cell phone either. This is a good reminder of why I'm so glad he's not in the IT world anymore. LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#288925 - 05/09/18 10:34 PM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Roarmeister]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Wednesday's test here produced unsuccessful on my phone. Many - but not all co-workers received the alert. A straw poll showed that there was a wide mix of phones and carriers which received the alert and similar for those who did not.

Testing disparity was reported in other provinces and early results seems it depends on the phone model and which version of OS software it is running when the alert was sent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/emergency-alert-ready-testing-canada-1.4654888

John Lubbock

#288927 - 05/10/18 03:39 AM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Teslinhiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Wednesday's test here produced unsuccessful on my phone. Many - but not all co-workers received the alert. A straw poll showed that there was a wide mix of phones and carriers which received the alert and similar for those who did not.

Testing disparity was reported in other provinces and early results seems it depends on the phone model and which version of OS software it is running when the alert was sent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/emergency-alert-ready-testing-canada-1.4654888

Our office was full of the newest Apples and Androids both work and personal. Not one received the signal. It wasn't the carrier's problem.

The alert on the radio was 10 min. late which means that if there was a warning for a tornado there wouldn't have been any effective notice.

However, our 2-year old PROVINCIAL alert system also chose to send out a test alert. That worked perfectly so it appears the Federal system needs to work out the kinks before its ready for prime time.

#288928 - 05/10/18 04:34 AM Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nothing received here. So yes, many bugs to work out.

That doesn't bother me, though. I'm kind of old-fashioned, having grown up in the country, and have this habit of watching the sky.

CORRECTION:
Whoops, I spoke too soon.

DW did receive the message at work, but as soon as she silenced the alarm the text disappeared. I'm not sure if there's a way to correct that -- if I'm in a meeting when this goes off, my automatic reflex would be to shut off the sound in the quickest way possible.

I did not receive the message, but my Motorola is older and only a few iterations are LTE capable. So, it's probably a hardware issue on my end.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/10/18 02:54 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.