Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#288875 - 05/05/18 09:00 AM A test seven years in the making!
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, tonight I concluded a test that was seven years in the making! grin Well, maybe not on purpose though. Back in April of 2011 I vacuum sealed a pair of Weber grill lighting cubes. For whatever reason images don't really work here so here's a link:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/m2sKgS9.jpg?1[/img]

Years ago I mailed out a few of my first vacuum sealed items for fire making. Maybe some of you still have them! If any of you have used the Weber cubes sold as grill starters you probably learned that they're 1) identical to WetFire and 2) volatile. If you leave them unwrapped you only have a few weeks before they're useless, something applies to WetFire as well in my experience. I figured that if you sealed them well they' probably keep for a long while, perhaps indefinitely. So I sealed up a bunch into various packages which I tried over regular intervals. But it seems a few got misplaced or rather forgotten. So last week while I was digging through some stored stuff looking for a couple of folders I came upon a couple of the Weber cubes that I sealed in April of 2011. I included the date written on square of foil inside the pack.

Would they work after seven years in a regular 4 mil food back? I wanted to find out! So I went out to the back yard to my fire pit to test them out.

I cut a small notch partially through the edge of the bag when I sealed them so they could easily be opened without a knife. I could tell the seal was intact as the pack was very firm. Opening the envelop I found the Weber cubes still felt oily and had the familiar smell off the new ones. I used my Mora to shave the first cube into a pile to shavings to try to light with a fire steel. Not knowing what to expect I was mildly surprised that it immediately burst into flames with the first strike! The pile burned pretty quickly, no surprise as it was just a loose pile. So I used a lighter to ignite the intact cube. It also lit readily. Unmolested and left to burn it went for about seven minutes before it was burned down.

All in all I'm pretty impressed. I wasn't sure if a regular bag would prevent all the volatile chemicals from leaching out of the cube but it worked just fine. After testing several bags I've been pretty satisfied but certainly this test clinched it for me. I consider my repacked Weber cubes to be a pretty reliable option for emergency fire starting.

#288879 - 05/05/18 12:23 PM Re: A test seven years in the making! [Re: Phaedrus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I kept mine for about 4 years before I used them, and they all worked. Your vacuum packaging worked well and held up to some substantial abuse as well.

#288880 - 05/05/18 01:30 PM Re: A test seven years in the making! [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I still have the ones you so graciously sent me. They are in various kits, still unused, but the wrapping looks intact. I don't abuse my fire starting materials, especially not substantially. There ought to be a law....

#288883 - 05/05/18 02:56 PM Re: A test seven years in the making! [Re: Phaedrus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I carried them around in whatever day bag I was carrying at the time. They were transferred back and forth, carried on numerous hikes and camping trips and even in my pockets at times (which can be very rough on such a package). They received no special protection, but neither did I try to deliberately test their strength or durability.

With my normal pocket EDC, the pocket was the most abuse they received. All of the packages worked in the end, kudos Phaedrus.

#288884 - 05/05/18 04:18 PM Re: A test seven years in the making! [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Excuses are of little avail. you have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney...etc.etc.

Book him, Danno! smirk

#288886 - 05/05/18 07:41 PM Re: A test seven years in the making! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, the ones I mailed out were in mylar- pretty sturdy stuff! The stuff I just tested was in regular plastic bags. That's why I was kind of impressed that they still worked. smile

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 428 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.