Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288778 - 04/22/18 10:40 PM Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea!
Bingley Offline
Veteran

After reading about this guy who's been bitten by a rattle snake, a bear, and a shark -- and somehow survived them all -- I started thinking, "It's been a bit slow on ETS. Maybe I can stir the pot with a discussion on shark defense? Will people argue about it with as much passion as about bear defense?"

http://kdvr.com/2018/04/21/colorado-man-...ar-rattlesnake/

So, shark defense -- should you wear a bell while swimming? Gun or pepper spray? Or maybe the amplified feedback of a homemade hearing aid for your daughter? What happens when sharks rain down upon you during a storm? How will you defend against that? Or what about shark attacks during an avalanche, the kind that puts a damper on your nice alpine ski vacation?

#288779 - 04/22/18 11:33 PM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Oh boy, Bingley!! Lots of action on this one, I'll bet. My comment is, Don't spend time on the surface - note that the shark bit guy was swimming, not scuba diving. Attacks on submerged scuba divers are far less frequent than on those on the surface.

Make as little noise and commotion as possible. Get in and out of the water as quickly and quietly as possible.

Be observant, both you and your companion (s). Watch the actions of wildlife around you...

I spent time diving off Point Bennett, San Miguel Island, AKA "Shark Park," due in great measure to the abundant pinnipeds (seals et al) that colonize there. We got in and out quietly and with great alacrity, paying close attention to the activities of the abundant seals around us, who would occasionally approach us and tentatively nibble on our swim fins, just for kicks. But they never sped for the beach, which would have been a bad sign.

In four days of intensive diving, we completed our study of a great shipwreck that was our purpose. I understand Cal Fish and Game prohibits their divers from entering those waters. Too bad, there is real interesting stuff there.

I understand that if you are attacked, your last gesture of defiance should be to bob Mr. Shark right on his nose (good luck with that). Evidently that will cause him to lose interest right away.... Some folks carry bang sticks and there are instances where they have worked, so the story goes...

#288782 - 04/23/18 01:23 AM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Arm yourself with a baseball bat or an iron skillet and bop it on the nose.

Jeanette Isabelle

#288783 - 04/23/18 02:04 AM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have found it very difficult to swing an object like a frying pan or bat under water. The resistance is greater than I had imagined. Instead, poke, like using a pool cue.

Nomad.

PS. Don't use a bang stick when you are under water.

Edited by Nomad (04/23/18 02:14 AM)
Edit Reason: added bang stick.

#288784 - 04/23/18 02:20 AM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you’re in the ocean with a shark you’re on his turf so-to-speak — best is to meet half way and just swim with the shark. It helps if you have countless drops, are a world class free-diver and spearfish for a living. Having a low heart-rate is a good thing.

#288785 - 04/23/18 02:23 AM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As much time as I have spent in the open ocean in military training, I have never had a problem with sharks. Seen them, but they never bothered us.

I expect there are many more attacks in shallow water than in the open ocean.

#288786 - 04/23/18 01:29 PM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Last night the local TV station carried a story about a surfer bitten by a shark in Australia - fortunately not as bad a bite as it could have been. I understand that a surfer on his board viewed fro below, imitates a seal sufficiently enough to cause a shark to bite.

Aussieland seems to be particularly bad for shark attacks.

#288787 - 04/23/18 02:18 PM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Surfing is like trolling for sharks

#288788 - 04/23/18 05:36 PM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The problem of injuries due to shark attack can be prevented to a large degree by wearing the proper clothing. Stainless steel 6 in 1 chainmail is an excelent choice. Make sure to get rivetted or welded chainmail. Butted ends are only good for show.
Don´t worry about injuring the shark. If it looses some teeth it will replace them in a short time.

#288854 - 05/02/18 08:40 AM Re: Defense against sharks, the bears of the sea! [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Why is it that there is no heated argument over shark defenses, but threads about bear defenses often degenerate into trading of insults? What is it about bears that bring out the nasty in people, whereas sharks cannot? Nor can a host of other much more likely killers: falling, drowning, inattentive driving, getting hit on the head by a falling object...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.