The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#288679 - 04/10/18 02:35 AM MRE shortage
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I was checking around for MRE crackers,single meals and so on for this years canoe trips. the companys said that the storms,wild fires,floods that have come one right after another have drawn down the supply until mid year.this is the first time ever in all the years I've been buying up for trips that the stock has been so low for so long.

#288681 - 04/10/18 03:14 AM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Quite believable, based on what we have experienced here locally. But MREs aren't the only game in town

#288683 - 04/10/18 08:03 AM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I realize it's not quite the same but you may want to head over to the Mountain House website and check out their Military meals (formerly known as LRP Rations). They're freeze dried like other MH stuff but compressed into a very compact, tight block as opposed to the loose bag that their backpacking stuff is sealed in. They're not fine dining but IMO they're at least as good tasting as MREs! Maybe a little better. Portions are fairly generous compared to an MRE and they're much lighter.

Granted, they require hot water to prepare so they're not a no-cook option like an MRE. Well, they say to boiling water but I imagine cold water would reconstitute them although it might take longer. They probably wouldn't be all that tasty cold but neither would an MRE.

I noticed that CampingSurvival.com has some MREs in stock, especially if you don't mind the reduced sodium verions. Not a huge variety but as you say, if the supply is limited you probably can't be too picky!

#288792 - 04/23/18 10:21 PM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I noticed that as well.

I usually strip the MRE down to the entree and plan for three entrees per day for food (they pack very flat along the back of my daypack, easily getting 9 in a 20 liter pack without much impact on internal storage volume), supplemented by clif bars when on the go. So it was nice to be able to go online and buy just what I want. Locally they have the whole MRE for $5 (living near a military base) which isn't bad, I just pick and choose then strip those down.

____

I just received some LRP freeze dried entrees today. Basically the same as mountain house pro pak, but packs MUCH friendlier due to the cubed shape as Phaedrus indicated -- why they don't do that for the civilian versions I have no idea.

At $10 each they're pretty steep but when you run the numbers it's not too bad -- they're just over half the weight of an MRE entree, but usually double the calories -- so you're looking at 4.5 ounces versus 16 ounces for roughly similar calories. So cost wise you'd have to compare it to buying two MRE entrees which tend to go for $3-4 these days, so it would be $10 versus $6-8 which is (a little) more reasonable.

Of course, if your area is light on water and you have to schlep it around anyway, so it may not be worth it to you, and it takes more time to constitute, so YMMV. I'm in the Southeast, water is pretty easy to find, and my plan is keep one per day and use them in the evening when I've settled in for the night, opting for more ready to eat food during the day. The end result should be more calories per day and less overall weight.

I don't go on trips as often as I'd like to, so I've decided to build up my stock a little at a time. Will definitely stock up on the MRE entrees again when they become more available again

#288799 - 04/24/18 02:53 AM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the LRPs to be honest. The best of them are about as good any packable/portable meals. Typically where I go there's plenty of water around so it's a waste to pack it in (note- it will need to be treated but that's lighter than carrying water as well). They're a little bit expensive but I don't get out on longer trips as often as I'd like either, so a dozen LRP meals might last me a whole summer. And on a multi-day trip you really should be packing fresh or frozen food for the first day. A frozen steak or pork chop wrapped in a towel will be fine for the first day. After that it's LRPs, MREs, Cliff Bars, raman, etc.

#288801 - 04/24/18 08:17 AM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
What's the advantage of MREs? The military don't have access to any foods the rest of us don't and the choice is bound to be less suitable for you, than if you assembled your own?
Am I missing something?
qjs

#288802 - 04/24/18 08:44 AM Re: MRE shortage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, MREs are shelf stable and the retort pouch packaging is very robust. They keep for potentially well over a decade, and can last for several years even in extreme temps (like 100+ F for a couple years). They're designed to fuel soldiers so they're fairly high in calories. And of course they require no preparation at all. They can be heated (and usually a chemical heater is included) but they can be eaten cold right out of the pouch. Certainly in some situations the lack of prep required can be a godsend, especially when you're already exhausted or you find yourself in conditions where cooking is impractical.

Note that I'm not starting an MRE fan club. smirk Just pointing out why they're popular with outdoors-folks.

#288805 - 04/24/18 12:32 PM Re: MRE shortage [Re: Phaedrus]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
I just went over to the Mountain House site and their military meals are sold out. Does anyone know of an alternate.

#288807 - 04/24/18 02:48 PM Re: MRE shortage [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The alternate I prefer is what is known as real food; there are lots of options. The "normal" mountain House items are tasty and lightweight, but pricey; you also need water to rehydrate. This may be a problem in some situations.

You can quite well in any well stocked grocery store , and probably save money - think of dehydrated potato packets, paired with beef jerky, for one possible meal. Add condiments, etc. to suit.

When weight is not an issue, I like canned beef stew. Tastes better than MREs, and is cheaper as well. Lots of options in canned goods, and water is not an issue.

#288810 - 04/24/18 06:50 PM Re: MRE shortage [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The last batch of MREs that I had, I was not pleased with. I had a box each of 2017 A&B menus. A few of the entrees were downright disgusting (anything Asian style), most were merely palatable (so many looked and tasted alike) and a couple were actually good tasting. I found the accessory paks and sides a lot more palatable and I take those item along when car-camping. I don't know if it was menu update or too much emphasis on southern or Mexican flavours, but I am staying well away from MREs in the future. They aren't worth importing, IMHO.

However, if I could get a hold of some IMPs, those I could eat anytime as they are far more palatable. They are not nearly as available on EBay though and sourcing local is difficult. There is also a new brand of freeze dried meals made in Quebec (Happy Yak) that has been getting very good reviews that I want to try out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.