Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288737 - 04/18/18 01:53 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

agree!!!

#288738 - 04/18/18 03:45 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm appreciative of all the replies, though the discussion has expanded from the "degradation of adhesives" issue (measurable and repeatable, in my world at least) to wound care.

It's important to differentiate between the endless shallow dings and scrapes that come from working an intensively managed 3-acre micro-farm and deeper, more significant wounds.

Deeper wounds (and I've had a few, and managed them very carefully) require the more cautious and intensive measures many have suggested here. Bandaids need not apply; this is the territory of non-stick pads and butterfly strips.

But dings on working hands are cleaned and protected with a bandaid, to prevent the entry of more crud. And then the work continues. I often put a tiny dab of vaseline/polysporin on the pad to protect from dirt entry or water entry from the ongoing handwashing that is a necessary part of the mix. The bandaid has to stay on or it's useless.

I'll try the 3M version suggested here. And I'll check with my father regarding the Band-Aid brand Tough Strips I got him for his Christmas stocking. He (independently) discovered the exact same thing when I lent him an antique Elastoplast from the same stash, and called me to ask if I had any more.

#288739 - 04/18/18 04:08 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
...but it was on a knuckle...

Knuckles are very difficult to bandage. Which is why they make special "knuckle bandaids". A regular bandaid will not hold well at all, you have found that out. Same thing goes for fingertips. They make special bandaids for that too.

#288740 - 04/18/18 04:24 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
CC’s Grab & Go First Aid Kit has a bunch of knuckle and fingertip bandages.
Quote:
...The Grab & Go First Aid Kit contains all the necessary items needed to treat your simple everyday cuts and scratches in a small rugged water resistant package. Each item was hand selected as being both a necessary and quality for basic wound care, by a working Tactical Medic. These are quality First Aid items, no vinyl or cartoon bandages here. Real wound care for real working people....
That’s the description from the webpage. Not affiliated other than as a customer.

#288741 - 04/18/18 05:56 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If you're looking for a quick fix for very minor scratches, then what about liquid bandaid? (Basically medical nail polish.) It often protects better in tricky areas like knuckles or fingers, especially if you expect to wash your hands. Sometimes you can combine the liquid bandaid with the regular one for extra protection. (The liquid bandaid can be rubbed off, and water can get through the fabric bandaid.)

As for the 3M Nexcare, you do need to form a good seal with the skin. If so, it will stay there for days, and you can even shower with it. Because it's so thin, clumsy fingers can result in a poor seal. Then it will come off like anything else.

#288769 - 04/21/18 11:48 PM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Haven’t read through sorry if I repeat.... a friend who worked for a major chemical company (think Dow/3M level) use to be one of the people that MADE the adhesives. She said they had to continually find new ones because people kept developing an allergic reaction (after awhile) to each one they came up with. My wife and I are firm believers that ‘the old stuff was/is best....find it if you can. Lol.

#288770 - 04/22/18 12:20 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am currently using BandAid Tough strips on two places (hand and arm) and they stick very well. I thought they would come off in the shower (had to see because of this thread) and they did not. They are not too tough to get off when you want them off either.

#288771 - 04/22/18 01:09 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: Bingley]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
if you don't ever want it to come off, haertig's tincture of benjoin + russ' and montanero's band-aid tough strips would do the trick.

works for me. ymmv.

#288772 - 04/22/18 05:11 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: CJK]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: CJK
She said they had to continually find new ones because people kept developing an allergic reaction (after awhile) to each one they came up with.

Yep, this is true. Some of us get allergic reactions -- sometimes bad ones -- to bandaids. Last week I used an old bandaid, and the resulting allergic reaction was worse than the little pinhead wound I covered. So watch out, guys!

#288773 - 04/22/18 05:22 AM Re: Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant) [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I use knuckle bandages and the Curad Extreme Length ones pretty much exclusively.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.