Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288687 - 04/10/18 02:25 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This thread really should be a discussion in Around the Campfire.

#288688 - 04/10/18 02:56 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good article on the topic at:
London Mayor: “No Excuses: There Is Never A Reason To Carry A Knife.” – JONATHAN TURLEY
Quote:
... I have been critical of Khan’s anti-free speech record — part of a trend in Great Britain to regulate and criminalize unpopular speech. He is now combining that record with increases in police powers.
The current law bans knives longer than three inches and limits possession to folding knives. Here are the guidelines from the Metropolitan Police website: ...

No further comments, it’s a good read.

#288689 - 04/10/18 03:34 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
> This thread really should be a discussion in Around the Campfire.

No it shouldn't be on any forum. Like last months non-existent MI5 'we are 4 meals from anarchy' report; it's referring to a non-existent law.
As the Turley article is pretending wanting to enforce the current laws is the path to tyranny. It's at best at unknowingly distorting the facts. Though that is no excuse for a news organisation.
Bingley and I can spend the few minutes it took to find the truth.
Why not do it yourself folks?
qjs

#288690 - 04/10/18 03:50 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Are you saying that because it’s just the mayor of a large British city expressing his opinion and not already a law, we shouldn’t bother discussing it? The opinions of mayors often find their way into legislation and once passed, then it’s an even bigger fight to get rid of it. Knife laws/policies already on the books or only being proposed by the mayor of London should be discussed.

#288691 - 04/10/18 04:04 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

No I'm saying that there is no such law being introduced. Nor could be. Unlike in the US; local authorities cannot restrict items like guns or knives. Kahn is not introducing OR proposing any new laws. It was not true from the start.
If people want to discuss knife laws; go ahead. I think the existing ones are too restrictive personally. But this isn't discussing actual laws. It's inventing them.
Why give credence to the usual 'we are victims of an imminent tyranny' myth.
It's a lie.
qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (04/10/18 04:04 PM)

#288692 - 04/10/18 05:04 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
This thread really should be a discussion in Around the Campfire.

Agreed. Moving it.

chaosmagnet

#288693 - 04/10/18 05:04 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't see how this is not developing into a political thread, whereas chaos has cautioned us to keep it informational.

#288695 - 04/10/18 05:06 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't see how this is not developing into a political thread, whereas chaos has cautioned us to keep it informational.

Posters have done pretty well so far, I've only had to edit one post. I'd rather not edit any more, and I'd also rather not lock the thread. Your continued cooperation is appreciated!

chaosmagnet

#288696 - 04/10/18 05:24 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: brandtb]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

So can we drop the invented proposal about an imaginary new law and stick to things that actually exist?
And stop pretending that because someone with no authority to make it happen is in favour of restrictions, we are all heading for confiscation?
Though that probably leave us in heated agreement.
Can't remember any people on this site in favour of knife laws....

qjs

#288698 - 04/10/18 06:58 PM Re: "There is never a reason to carry a knife." [Re: quick_joey_small]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
So can we drop the invented proposal about an imaginary new law and stick to things that actually exist?

Well said! I find it mildly amusing that people who live far from the UK love to get worked up over badly reported or in some cases totally fake stories from the UK (supposed knife laws, 4 meals from anarchy, etc). Meanwhile they ignore comments from people like quick joey small (who actually live there).

A bit of personal on the ground reporting: Last year we spent a couple of weeks as tourists in the UK. There were bag checks at most tourist attractions. At one security check the guard looked in my backpack and then asked if I had any knives or sharp instruments on me. I had a moment of panic, as I had a very tiny knife (suitable mainly for cleaning fingernails) in my pocket. I had meant to leave at the hotel, but had forgetfully left in my pocket. Nervously I showed it to the guard. He laughed and said something to the effect of "....that's not really much of a knife..." and waved me through. Note that in the US I've seen similar blades confiscated by security.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.