Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#288576 - 03/31/18 04:45 PM Camping in your home after a quake
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Oregon Public Broadcasting has had a long running series on preparing for the Cascadia Earthquake. The latest installment is about sheltering in place in your home.

Are You Prepared To Camp In Your Home After The Cascadia Quake?

Note that for areas in Oregon along the I-5 cooridor, the expectation is that one should be self reliant for at least a week before significant outside help will be available.

Most East-West travel routes through the Oregon Coast Range are likely to be severely disrupted by landslides and collapsed bridges. North-South travel along the coast will be severely impacted both by the earthquake itself, and also by tsunami damage. For these reasons, it could easily be a month or more before much outside help is available for residents West of the Oregon Coast Range.

Edited by AKSAR (03/31/18 04:55 PM)

#288580 - 03/31/18 11:58 PM Re: Camping in your home after a quake [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
AKSAR, thanks for the informative article. I read it avidly because my line of preps goes "flee fires, hunker down after a quake." I have a bunch of outdoor gear and I figure Mrs. Hikermor and I will pitch a tent if the house isn't safe, cook on one or another of our camp stoves, and use the five gallon biffy. There are units that neutralize your waste so that it can be disposed in regular trash; I have a bunch of those. Solar panels will keep phones and small lights charged. I have a bunch of blue tarps stashed - wonderfully versatile items.

The one issue that isn't addressed in the article apparently is fires triggered by the quake, historically a fairly common occurrence (think San Fran 1906). That would be nasty...

I am cleaning out my storage and there are climbing and camping items I don't think I will need in case of a shaker - Asolo double boots, crampons, my Denali axe, assorted pitons (yes, I am that ancient) and Coleman white gas lanterns. Is there a market for antique gear?

#288581 - 04/01/18 02:43 AM Re: Camping in your home after a quake [Re: AKSAR]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
although I personally did not have much in the way of damage, the 9 day power outage in 2004 during the multiple hurricanes that came across central Florida, basically led to camping in my detached garage during the afternoon and evening hours...without a generator and portable air conditioner, the inside temperatures did not drop to the low 80s until after midnight...my school building (next to a hospital) regained priority power, and we were in session for about 1/2 the time, so getting proper sleep for a 6 AM wake up was difficult fro a day or so (don't forget a wind up alarm clock

couple of suggestions that worked for me...

battery powered tent fan (later modified to spin a ceiling fan which was used for Irma last year)

solar heated garden sprayer provided hot water and pressure to take a shower immediately when I got home from school... I tested other options after retiring

water bath to heat soup and stews so they could be eaten directly from the can so dish washing was a minimum... tail gate type propane grill rather than a standard camp stove was used to cook perishable hamburger, chicken, and hot dogs using bamboo skewers to cut down on clean up

two 5 day coolers... I pre loaded one with frozen gallon jugs of water, and used the other to get ice from school... I neglected to get the ice prior to Irma... won't happen again (by 2017 I have a 3500W and 2200W generator set... you won't have the prior warning, but storing a couple of frozen jugs in a chest type freezer should help keep perishables cool for a couple of days if you can transfer to a high insulation chest cooler (if you have kids, it will be hard to keep the refrigerator door closed)the frozen meat was still partially frozen by the 4th day...

I used a portable 12v TV with rabbit ears for entertainment,which I ran off a 12v female receptacle and clips for my car battery... along with a AA radio (Eneloop for radio, area LED lanterns, and LED task and head lamp)... I used a couple of kero lanterns in the garage, an old one filled with citronella tiki lamp oil helped with mosquitoes

for Irma last year, the 3 1/2 day outage was a snap... had the generator that provided power to charge batteries and run the internet and TV for 3 or 4 hours each night... as a courtesy to the neighbors I shut it off at 10PM

Edited by LesSnyder (04/01/18 02:44 AM)

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.