The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287756 - 01/11/18 07:01 PM Bug Out First Aid Kit
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm in the process of building a first aid kit, in addition to my EDC kit, that I will bring with me if we have to bug out. Space in the car, or cars, is at a premium. Therefore, I will use this bag:

https://www.chinookmed.com/01386rd/home-vehicle-plus-bag.html

The following is what I have in the kit so far:

MEDICAL INFORMATION
(1) Comprehensive Guide, Wilderness & Travel Medicine

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case
(2) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(2) Respirator Mask
(4) Nitrile Glove
(6) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe

BLEEDING
(1) SWAT-T Tourniquet
(1) QuikClot, 25 g
(1) Compressed Gauze
(1) Trauma Bandage, 4"

WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(2) Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
(1) Burn Dressing, 2" x 6"
(3) Burn Jel, 3.5 g
(1) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(1) Cloth Tape, 1" x 10 yds.
(1) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(12) Antiseptic Towelettes
(2) Benzoin Swabsticks
(2) Oval Eye Pad
(2) Non-Adherent Dressing, 3" x 4"
(2) Petroleum Gauze, 3" x 9"
(2) Povidone-Iodine, 22 mL
(4) Sterile Gauze Pad, 4" x 4"

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 3" x 4.5 yds.
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36"
(2) Triangular Bandage

MEDICATION
(1) Eye Wash, 4 oz.
(6) Aspirin, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(6) Diamode, 1/pk (Anti-diarrheal)
(6) Diotame, 2/pk (Stomach)
(6) Diphen, 1/pk (Antihistamine)
(6) Hydrocortisone 1% Creme, 1.5 g
(6) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(2) Hydration Powder
(1) Insect Bite Treatment

INSTRUMENTS
(1) Irrigation Syringe, 60cc
(1) Digital Thermometer
(1) EMT Shears, 5.5"
(1) Tweezers
(1) Disposable Penlight

I have one empty pocket in the bag and some room to spare in other pockets. The following is what I'm considering. First of all, I somehow forgot the cotton tip applicators. I will get them in the next order.

(4) Cotton-Tipped Applicator, 6"
(6) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe [a total of twelve]
(2) Emergency/Survival Blanket [a total of four]
(2) Respirator Mask [a total of four]
(4) Nitrile Glove [a total of eight]
(1) Trauma Bandage, 4" [a total of two]
(1) Compressed Gauze [a total two]
(1) Bolin Chest Seal
(2) Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lube, 28 Fr
(1) Wound Seal

The following is what I'm considering if I have room to spare:

(2) Respirator Mask [a total of six]
(2) Combat Application Tourniquet, Rescue Orange
(1) Compressed Gauze [a total of three]
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 16"
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 4"
(6) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
(2) Sterile Gauze Pad, 4"x4" [a total of six]
(1) Permanent Marker, Extra Fine Point
(1) Tactical Combat Casualty Reference Card
(2) Tactical Combat Casualty Care Card
(2) Decompression Needle, 14G x 3.25
(2) Combat Eye Shield
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36" [a total of two]
(2) Triangular Bandage [a total of four]

This kit is for catastrophic situations in which professional help or supplies are 24 Hours away. I may bring additional supplies with me such as, but not limited to, a box of gloves and a box of biohazard waste bags.

What additions or changes do you recommend?

Jeanette Isabelle

#287758 - 01/11/18 08:44 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
No BP cuff or sthescope? Perhaps some of form to record vitals/measures taken? Could be very useful to the pros when they take charge. Would be good to hear from practicing pros on this issue..

Edit: I now see the "Tactical Casualty Care Card."(Thank heaven it is tactical) I am not familiar with this item, but I suppose it allows you to record patient history, which the ER will certainly appreciate. Unless you are only going to treat family members or very close friends, barrier gloves are an absolute must! Have some immediately available as soon as the kit is cracked

Edited by hikermor (01/11/18 09:34 PM)

#287762 - 01/11/18 09:16 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
No BP cuff?

I do not include a blood pressure because of space it would take up.

Perhaps some of form to record vitals/measures taken? Could be very useful to the pros when they take charge.

I plan to include that.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
(1) Permanent Marker, Extra Fine Point
(2) Tactical Combat Casualty Care Card

https://www.chinookmed.com/14000pa/tactical-combat-casualty-care-tccc-card.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#287768 - 01/11/18 09:54 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would strongly advocate for the enclusion of a BP cuff and stethoscope. Doing mountain SAR, when my bag was culled routinely to eliminate frills and unnecessary items, I, and all my colleagues who were suitably trained, toted cuffs and scopes. Especially if a long interval has elapsed between first contact and arrival in the ER, the recording of vitals will be really useful for downstream care.

You are recording more with the scope than just BP - cardiac and lung conditon are pretty important as well. It looks like you are contemplating a combat situation, what with the TCCC, and tourniquets. My experience, dealing with the kinds of traumas associated with folks coming to grief in the wilds, never involved the need for a T, but we always tracked vitals. Both are a really good idea, but, if push came to shove, I would keep the BP and scope.

#287769 - 01/11/18 10:32 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

You are recording more with the scope than just BP - cardiac and lung conditon are pretty important as well.

I only know how to take a person's blood pressure. I'm not trained on the rest you mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287771 - 01/11/18 11:33 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The SWAT-T is better than nothing but not recommended. Granular QuikClot is not recommended, nor are QuikClot sponges. QuikClot gauze is really good.

I'd recommend that you delete the decompression needles unless you have been trained to use them, and add more chest seals instead. If you are not a medical professional a decompression needle is way outside the scope of your practice, and a lot of harm can be done if they are used improperly. Chest seals (if you don't apply them to the nose and mouth!) are very hard to hurt someone with.

You can never have too many bandaids, gloves, or BZK wipes. You can never have too much gauze, bandages, or good tape.

You're don't have much in the way of OTC meds for multiple people or more than one day.

#287773 - 01/11/18 11:57 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I look at that list and wonder ... how big is the bag that carries it? That looks like the contents of the back of an ambulance manned by an EMT or two.

One of my favorite FAK’s was built based on the contents of CountyComm’s Grab & Go First Aid Kit. The idea behind the kit is that you patch up your owwies and keep going. I put mine together in a quart size zip-lock freezer bag — very handy for the small stuff that happens much more often than the big stuff.

#287774 - 01/11/18 11:59 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

I only know how to take a person's blood pressure. I'm not trained on the rest you mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle

I would heartily recommend such training. Your level of training is at least as important as the gear you are carrying; no, more important. I would prefer to be handled by a knowledgeable person with no gear, than an untrained, or minimally trained person, with all the goodies in the world. I have personally seem what a good MD can do, thrust unexpectedly into an emergency, with absolutely minimal equipment.

Patient survey and assessment, including the detection of some fairly subtle conditions, is absolutely essential to providing good care.

Note that your TCCC has space for entries concerning BP, respirations, and other vitals. The folks you hand off to will be glad to get that info.
Now, frankly, I am a very rusty EMT, and protocols have changed to some extent, since I was active (70s and 80s), so I would welcome the comments of more current, informed persons.

#287776 - 01/12/18 12:23 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

That indeed looks like a fine kit for minor , disabling owies. Kits should be developed to work in the situations that are anticipated. It seems that J-I is working for something rather more serious, with moderately long term care (24 hours is an eternity if you are dealing with a serious situation). You need to consider what is essential for you to carry to handle predictable situations and what can be improvised from readily available sources. A lot can be improvised.

I once taught an Advanced FA course to an Explorer Post, who were very heavily into outdoor trips. At one of our sessions, I had them bring in their backpacks and respond to various scenarios. It was great -I was learning as much as they were....

#287777 - 01/12/18 01:36 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The SWAT-T is better than nothing but not recommended. Granular QuikClot is not recommended, nor are QuikClot sponges. QuikClot gauze is really good.

If space allows, I plan to include two Combat Application Tourniquets. I am building this kit with some financial restrictions. Therefore, I bought the QuickClot sponge.

I'd recommend that you delete the decompression needles unless you have been trained to use them, and add more chest seals instead. If you are not a medical professional a decompression needle is way outside the scope of your practice, and a lot of harm can be done if they are used improperly.

I have not been trained with the decompression needle. I acknowledge learning the procedure from the book, which is what I did, is not the same. One thing the author drives home more than anything else is:

If the situation is desperate and the victim is literally dying, there is only one thing that you can do to possibly save his life.

Pleural should not be undertaken lightly and should be attempted only is the victim appears to be dying.

With that established, should I delete the decompression needles from the list?

You can never have too many bandaids, gloves, or BZK wipes. You can never have too much gauze, bandages, or good tape.

I may bring a box of gloves with me. The rest would depend on how much space we have.

You're don't have much in the way of OTC meds for multiple people or more than one day.

It's not like we can look in the future and know what is needed, how many people will be there or be involved. This is a judgment call. I forgot to mention the Alka-Seltzer and I am considering two other things such as oral rehydration salts.

I also have my EDC kit and a separate bottle of aspirin.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.