Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2895 - 12/07/01 03:05 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

While a firefighter, they taught us to break the glass at the top so that the falling glass does not fall on to you hand, arm, etc.<br><br>During vehicle extrication class, they suggested punching the window near a corner or edge since the glass will flex less and be easier to break. <br><br>I had the opportunity to break a sliding glass door window once. Used a window punch and reached up to the top of the window and pushed. The punch broke the glass, my hand passed through the window and I ended up cutting my wrist and forearm as my hand and arm passed through and down in an arch. <br><br>Yes, tempered glass breaks in thousands of small peices. Each piece of glass has sharp edges that can cut you. The advantage of tempered is there are no large dagger shapped pieces that can stab or pierce.<br><br>Yes, it is recommended you sweep all the glass from the frame using a heavy gloved hand, a tool handle, etc. Then lay a blanket over the bottom edge to further reduce the possiblity of cuts.<br><br>In a water escape scenairo, I would not take the time to pad the lower edge of the window with a blanket while I escaped. I would wait for the water level inside the car to reach the broken window ledge so the pressure is equalized and then open the door and swin out. Of course, I have had the opportunity to practice this in a non-emergency condition.

#2896 - 12/07/01 06:49 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Knowing what to do after an accident is what this site is all about. However, Ill bet a CHP cup of coffee and donut OLD BALD GUY is thinking " excess speed, inattention, poor maintenance, driver fatique." We prepare for handling the aftermath of misfortune. Strategies to avoid it should be a part of our mindset.

#2897 - 12/07/01 08:54 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well put!!!!

#2898 - 12/07/01 09:01 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Every tempered glass window I have punched broke into a jilliion little pieces and fell out, altho I have seen them shatter from "natural causes," and stay in place. Once, when not wearing gloves, I got a nice cut on one finger when my hand went thru. If you punch near the corner you can support your punching hand and maybe not go thru. The pieces have sharp edges, but are not slivers or shards like plate glass. The primary purpose for covering a victim when punching a window is to keep the glass out of their eyes or any open wounds (glass does not show up on x-rays and is hard to see. Having a chunk stay inside of a laceration after it is sutured is less than fun)

#2899 - 12/07/01 09:09 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay. "Sliver" was probably not the right term some of the pieces are very small and sharp. I think we are making the same point though. <br>Of course, we could always take the time to cover the window with contact paper prior to breaking it as an instructor once told me :)<br>

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.