Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2885 - 12/05/01 02:48 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was smugly thinking that my mini-Fox 40 whistle would do just fine for signalling someone if my car were to go over the side - until I realized that I might very well be injured and unable to use the whistle for any length of time.<br><br>GREAT point about the compressed air horn! Wal-Mart has them in a variety of sizes in the boating/sporting goods sections.<br><br>Thanks for your suggestion.<br><br>NP

#2886 - 12/05/01 04:27 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I wrong in thinking that in an emergency my elbo or fist would go through any side window quite easily? Of course on a bare hand this may cause lacerations but if your car is sinking or on fire... who cares?<br><br>Once in a car wreck my jacketed arm knocked out the driver side window when the airbag exploded. I didn't even hurt my jacket. Was I just lucky? (Other than the fact that I had to buy a new window smile )

#2887 - 12/05/01 06:02 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is definitley possible. I accidently broke a window on a van door with my shoulder trying to un-jam the latch. The idea behind the rescue hammers is that they require less effort since the energy of the blow is focused on a tiny area. <br>BTW: That glass is razor sharp so you would probably want to knock the glass away with the hammer or some other object.

#2888 - 12/05/01 06:57 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I disagree about the power windows working for several minutes. They might, but then again they might not. One example...collision damage prior to hitting the water could damage the window system. The Life Hammers are better than nothing, but hard to swing under water, that is why I like the spring loaded center punches...

#2889 - 12/05/01 07:01 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Anything is possible of course, but I have seen officers repeatedly strike a side window with a PR-24 baton, swinging HARD, and fail to brake the window. Or take two or three swings with a Streamlite flashlight before braking it. I also saw one take one puny swing with a S&W K-38, breaking the window on the first swing...the sharp cornered front sight hit first and shattered it.

#2890 - 12/05/01 07:21 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another major consideration is your immediate disorientation. I had the chance to train in a helicopter ditching simulator. Imagine suddenly being plunged into cold darkness at angles worthy of a carnival ride! I once 'rescued' a man who panicked. He was backing a boat down the ramp and hit the gas instead of the brake. We watched the boat,airstream trailer and truck go in. As he screamed in terror, I waded out,opened the door and walked him to shore. I carry the spring punch also. If life is worth lifeboat matches vs. paper , then look for lifeboats in all your gear.

#2891 - 12/05/01 09:40 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

If one were to use one of the automatic punches... would it be better to hit the top, bottom or middle of the window to prevent shattering glass from flying back in at you?<br><br>Or are you going to get sprayed with glass no matter what?

#2892 - 12/06/01 12:49 AM razor sharp glass??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not a glass expert but I have seen many shattered car windows. They are tempered glass and break in small squarish pieces, not sharp shards. I personally cleaned up my car after a passenger window was broken in by a thief. <br><br>It's been a few years, but I certainly don't recall a bunch of razor sharp pieces of glass.<br><br>Am I missing something? Isn't that the whole point of tempered glass which is used in sliding glass doors, showers, car windows?<br><br>See http://www.sciam.com/askexpert/physics/physics59/<br><br>JustBob.

#2893 - 12/06/01 01:42 AM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you break the glass it will cause hundreds of cracks to appear but the pane will keep its shape for the most part (as it is designed to do). At that point you will have to remove the glass itself. As you do this it will break into many small pieces and slivers that are very sharp and tend to go everywhere. For this reason it is common during vehicle rescues to cover a patient with a sheet or turnout coat if a window must be removed.<br>I know I'm not painting a very good picture here but if you get the chance contact your local FD and ask to observe their next extrication drill. It can be interesting demonstration.<br><br>Chris

#2894 - 12/06/01 10:03 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>I once 'rescued' a man who panicked. <br><br>Very real.<br><br>I observed a non-swimmer in a canoe flounder in 3 feet of water when his canoe tipped. Not only could he simply stand up, he was wearing a PFD (Personal Floatation Device a.k.a. Life-Jacket).<br><br>Once again proving that the best tool for survival is using one's own brain.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.