Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#288388 - 03/13/18 06:40 PM Geko Smart Whistle
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.rei.com/product/124223/geko-smart-whistle

Just ran across this. Apparently, if in distress, you blow on the whistle and the device automatically notifies three contacts of your choice that you are in trouble at a location (provided by your cellphone). It works somehow with your cell and if you are not in cell range, you would be SOL. the whistling notifies anyone in your vicinity in the traditional manner.

Anyone have experience, anecdotes, or stories about this gadget? It is on clearance at REI...

Edited by hikermor (03/13/18 06:40 PM)

#288390 - 03/13/18 08:10 PM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Innovation continues, sometimes in strange directions. Never even heard of it before.

#288391 - 03/14/18 04:01 PM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is on clearance at REI...

I think I can see why.

It's worrisome enough to depend on a fragile battery powered device that depends on a cellular network (voice call on your cellphone directly to a rescue team) to get you help.

It's even worse to depend on a fragile battery powered device (electronic whistle), that itself depends on another fragile battery powered device (smartphone), that depends on an installed software application (smartphone app), that depends on a cellular network, that depends on an SMS/email provider to send a text message/email, that depends on your contacts having their smartphones on and in a service area to receive your text message/email, that depends on your contacts fulfilling their duty to notify a rescue team, that depends on your contacts knowing the phone number for the rescue team, to get you help.

Why not just call the rescue team yourself? You've got your cellphone right there in the first place! This electronic whistle appears to be a solution in search of a problem.

#288392 - 03/14/18 06:14 PM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agreed. For one thing, 911 would be one, if not the first, number I would enter. these days a lot of SAR ops are triggered by calls from the victim's phone at the scene. I do doubt that this gadget will have much of an impact

Ofcourse, those are the ones we know about - those in cell phone range with charged batteries. As for the rest, we will notice them when the snow melts....

#288394 - 03/14/18 10:31 PM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Take a look at the reviews on Amazon --

https://www.amazon.com/GEKO-Emergency-Au...customerReviews

It requires a lot of stuff for it to work -- a social media account, an Android phone, an app that's constantly open, a subscription, etc. Some people find it useful for their elderly relatives in "I've fallen and I can't get up" sort of situation, but with so many requirements, I am not sure I'd rely on this gadget.

#288395 - 03/15/18 12:55 AM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am sure that I would not rely on such a device. Innovation is not bad, it just goes down some dead ends sometimes. And sometimes some aspect of a failed innovation spurs innovation in another direction. I am not sure where this would go, but people should not stop trying new ideas. Maybe they should test more before they go into large scale production though.

#288396 - 03/15/18 04:21 AM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: gonewiththewind]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Montanero
And sometimes some aspect of a failed innovation spurs innovation in another direction.

That reminds me, I need to watch the "Connections" mini-series with James Burke again. Fantastic the way he tied invention to invention to invention. I'm really dating myself remembering this series. But heck, most of y'all here are probably as old as I am and might remember the series too. I'll have to check out the local library and see if they have it on DVD.

#288397 - 03/15/18 10:10 AM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
That reminds me, I need to watch the "Connections" mini-series with James Burke again. Fantastic the way he tied invention to invention to invention. I'm really dating myself remembering this series. But heck, most of y'all here are probably as old as I am and might remember the series too.

No. I had to look it up. That series came out before I was born.

Jeanette Isabelle

#288398 - 03/15/18 10:11 AM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

Was going to say a back up phone probably better investment, like the Spare One (which can be powered by an AA). But seems they're not available anymore, and website has gone.

#288399 - 03/15/18 01:09 PM Re: Geko Smart Whistle [Re: haertig]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Those were very interesting programs. Burke does have some books, and there are some documentaries on some of the streaming services that sort of try to do the same thing. I can't remember what their titles are though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.