Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288373 - 03/11/18 11:06 AM Re: Knife Laws [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Even the CRKT RSK® Mk5 Survival Knife with a 1.75 inch fixed blade that comes in Doug Ritter's Pocket Survival Pak Plus might be illegal in California.

I suspect having the Mk5 inside the plastic Pak (as shipped) and tucked in a pocket would be considered concealed.

Can anyone recommend a good folding knife that will slip inside the Pocket Survival Pak in place of the Mk5??

Ken

#288374 - 03/11/18 01:24 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You have a point,since the M5 is a fixed blade. I carry mine routinely in CA when I tote my day pack, or any pack for that matter, but it is in the pack, not on my person.

As a practical matter, I somehow doubt that an arresting officer would make a big deal out of an M5 carried on body, unless the context of the encounter was such that other factors suggest that you are up to no good.

A very capable folder that could sub for the M5 would be the Gerber LST, about a two inch blade. I have carried one of those in my pack as well as a backup. And I wouldn't snivel at the SAK Classic, as well.

Edited by hikermor (03/11/18 01:25 PM)

#288376 - 03/11/18 03:04 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If I’m not mistaken, the dirks and daggers terminology in the CA statute is there for a reason, otherwise they could have just said any fixed blade knife. While a dirk/dagger is open to interpretation by a court of law and you can always find yourself with unreasonable judges and DA’s, those terms refer to stabbing weapons which can easily pulled from a sheath to be used as a stabbing weapon.

An RSK Mk.5 with its short blade and handle would not be easily mistaken as a stabbing weapon and if it’s under layers of clothes may not be readily available, much like being buried in a backpack is not interpreted as readily available.

I have an AGRussell Woodswalker in a leather pocket sheath inside a zipped pocket - not readily available and it takes two hands to get it out of the sheath. Not a legal opinion (because my opinions don’t qualify as legal advice), but I’m pretty sure the Woodswalker doesn’t qualify as a dirk/dagger either.

Legal opinions anyone?

#288377 - 03/11/18 03:05 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Huh, your Gerber LST suggestion reminded me of my very tiny Gerber LST 200 that was my EDC pocket knife before Doug Ritter came out with the mini RSK Mk1!!! I'd forgotten about it, but it now sits in the end table drawer right next to my chair.

My very tiny Gerber LST 200's open length is a tad more than 3.5 inches. Closed length is about 2 inches. The blade is about 1.5 inches.

For such a tiny knife my very tiny Gerber LST 200 sharpened very well and had a decent lock. The only issue I had was that it was a bit tough to hold when applying much force (TINY!), and the hole in the handle is really small. At the time I struggled with finding cordage small and durable enough to go through it.

As I recall I used the cord to attach the LST to a Boy Scout Hot Spark and its steel striker (the BSA Hot Spark was the smallest ferro rod I'd ever seen, though I'm not sure if it's still available).

I looked for my tiny Gerber LST 200 online, but the closest I found was the Gerber Ultralight LST that you'd mentioned.

The Gerber Ultralight LST open length is 4.62 inches, closed length is 2.65 inches, and has a 1.96 inch blade.

Obviously this Gerber Ultralight LST is a very different knife than my very tiny Gerber LST, which must be discontinued now.

The regular Gerber LST you mentioned is a "bigger" knife (it's all relative) with an open length of 6.1 inches, closed length of 3.61 inches, and a 2.63 inch blade

Ken

#288378 - 03/11/18 03:20 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I’ve got a clone of the Gerber LST, it has “FEDERAL Ammunition” printed on the blade, and near the pivot it says Gerber 500 on one side and Portland, OR, USA on the other. I don’t recall buying the knife, not something I’d pay for; maybe it came with some ammo. Dunno. It’s right at 6 1/4” open full length, same 2.63” blade.

PS: It appears the Gerber 500 predates the LST -- so not a clone, similar but different, earlier knife.

Edited by Russ (03/11/18 03:34 PM)
Edit Reason: PS

#288380 - 03/11/18 11:28 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
I’ve got a clone of the Gerber LST, it has “FEDERAL Ammunition” printed on the blade, and near the pivot it says Gerber 500 on one side and Portland, OR, USA on the other. I don’t recall buying the knife, not something I’d pay for; maybe it came with some ammo. Dunno. It’s right at 6 1/4” open full length, same 2.63” blade.

PS: It appears the Gerber 500 predates the LST -- so not a clone, similar but different, earlier knife.

I think your 500 is a Gerber Magnum LST Junior (maybe just labeled Jr). Your's must just have had an ammunition supplier label printed on it (my very first knife has Phillips 66 printed on the side). I have a Gerber Magnum LST with a 600 on the blade (yeah, my wife tolerates my interest in knives). I think the Gerber 600 Magnum LST, which appears to still be sold by Gerber, is a good looking knife, but reviews tended to think it was ugly and rather basic. I like the shape of the handle with the two finger grips, but again, opinions come in all shapes and sizes. Like the small LST, the Magnum LST got replaced by my full size Ritter RSK Mk1 when that came available.

#288383 - 03/12/18 03:35 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Another entry in the itty-bitty knife category. A fixed blade, all of 1 3/8 length produced by Tekna some time in the 80s. Still a fixed blade,but very hard to carry unconcealed. Despite its small blade, its overall length will not allow it to fit in an Altoids tin...

You would not believe the antique gear I possess. I should start a museum.

#288386 - 03/13/18 03:18 AM Re: Knife Laws [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
About the size of a pen & the "sheath" retracts back into the handle by a spring?

#288389 - 03/13/18 06:43 PM Re: Knife Laws [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The plastic sheath snaps onto the handle of the knife, thereby protecting the cutting edge of the knife - strange little gadget which I don't believe was commercially successful

#288411 - 03/16/18 02:16 AM Re: Knife Laws [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
That's the smaller one. I had one in my teens. Nice little knife. Part of the reason it didn't last was the connection between knife and blade cover broke. I may try to fix it if I've still got both parts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.