The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#288360 - 03/10/18 01:05 AM Lessons from the North Bay Fires
Michael2 Offline

KQED California Report: Lessons from the North Bay Fires

The California Report

Confusion, Poor Communication as North Bay Fires Broke Out

KQED has conducted a five-month investigation into what caused the muddled communications and delayed evacuations during the North Bay wildfires. KQED reporters recreated what happened as the fires started on Oct. 8, by listening to thousands of 911 calls, and interviewing dozens of first responders, residents and state officials. This week, we’re dedicating the entire California Report Magazine to the results of our investigation.

#288361 - 03/10/18 04:35 AM Re: Lessons from the North Bay Fires [Re: Michael2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief

Loc: southern Cal
This will be an interesting thread.

the report places a lot of emphasis on the lack of timely evacuation orders by authorities. Actually, you don't need authorization in order to flee from a fire, although notification certainly helps.

The hill close to my home has burned three times in the thirty years I have been in my home. Each time I was loaded and ready to go, not evacuating by the thinnest of margins, until last December's Thomas fire when we did pull the plug in response to a mandatory notice.

I think that authorities in our community, at least, learned from the devastating fires of last fall in the North Bay. There was prompt response to our city by Los Angeles units, who were the first responders I saw in my neighborhood, quite early in the event. I would say that the response was quite decent, although there is only so much that can be accomplished with 40+ mph winds in California chaparral.

There are important lessons to be learned from thoughtful analysis of events like this one. "Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past re doomed to repeat them." How true!
Geezer in Chief

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjin), 244 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Just, PriscillaWitherspoon, Contable, Stephen021, FNORD
5242 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Four Meals Away From Anarchy
by dougwalkabout
12:47 AM
New Solar Kit
by Roarmeister
11:48 PM
Yet Another Lost Hiker in Joshua Tree - Found!
by TeacherRO
08:27 PM
Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days
by TeacherRO
03/19/18 10:35 PM
How do you know when to bail?
by Phaedrus
03/18/18 04:54 AM
Mora Fireknife + extras deal at Woot!
by Phaedrus
03/17/18 02:10 AM
Knife Laws
by UTAlumnus
03/16/18 02:16 AM
Trauma Packs
by LesSnyder
03/16/18 01:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.