Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#288290 - 03/01/18 11:13 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
One thing you may want to consider, Jeanette_Isabelle, is if there is a lesser emergency where you may want to be able to treat a tension pneumothorax, but there’s still a good shot at getting to definitive care in time.

#288311 - 03/03/18 07:19 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I wonder, in addition to a regular first aid kit, should I include a burn kit such as this one?

http://www.waterjel.com/professional-products/emergency-burn-care/burn-kits/small-soft-sided/

Jeanette Isabelle

#288316 - 03/04/18 02:19 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

The space/weight tradeoff decision for a specialized burn kit for me has been one or two waterjel dressings in larger kits.

#288333 - 03/07/18 01:51 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Burn kits....we have them too. Haven't had the need to REALLY use one. Mostly more for the comfort factor. Burn Center Doc told us the most important thing was a CLEAN dressing when it comes to open wounds. I'd go with chaosmagnet...one or two packages.

#288334 - 03/07/18 01:52 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Something else I'm finding VERY handy....ok necessary.... a small 10x magnifying mirror. Self treating facial or eye stuff.... I can't really see close anymore without my 'cheaters'. I almost always have the magnifying mirror.

#288341 - 03/08/18 06:19 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
EthanJames Offline
Stranger

Spot on...

#288342 - 03/08/18 03:42 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: CJK]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CJK
Something else I'm finding VERY handy....ok necessary.... a small 10x magnifying mirror. Self treating facial or eye stuff.... I can't really see close anymore without my 'cheaters'. I almost always have the magnifying mirror.

YES.

#288564 - 03/30/18 07:30 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Just a few thoughts on you kit.

You started with a good basic kit. Unless you are planning on an EOTWAWKI scenario, keep it light. Concentrate on controlling hemorrhage, stabilizing wounds (Sam splint) and simple fractures, a few basic meds (ONLY for family and friends. Don't give meds to anyone you don't know! (Aspirin mainly 82mg for potential Heart attack), anti nausea, anti diarrheal, minor topical antibiotics, Minor analgesic, (Tylenol AND ibuprofen or naproxen) dressings (triangular are often overlooked but great) bandages, and assessment tools. (flashlight, stethoscope, BP cuff) You can learn auscultation skills (listening to lung and bowel sounds) here for free:

https://www.easyauscultation.com/lung-sounds

You will gain some very important info from listening to body sounds and monitoring BP.

Remember, under the Good Samaritan laws, you need not fear lawsuits IF you stay with BASIC skills. If you start I.V.s do needle decompressions etc you are over the line.

Also, regarding burn dressings, they are nice but generally unneeded for emergent situations. Learn to assess degree of burns and cover them with a sterile dressing and you are fine. Trust me when I tell you when they reach an ER they will remove the dressings and SCRUB the burns with brushes. (yes, it hurts like H@ll!) but has to be done.

If you can afford it, a basic EMT class would be helpful.

I say this as a 25 year ICU RN, and Former Paramedic.

#288579 - 03/31/18 10:31 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: WesleyH]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: WesleyH

Also, regarding burn dressings, they are nice but generally unneeded for emergent situations. Learn to assess degree of burns and cover them with a sterile dressing and you are fine. Trust me when I tell you when they reach an ER they will remove the dressings and SCRUB the burns with brushes. (yes, it hurts like H@ll!) but has to be done.

As a former burn victim--2nd and 3rd: face, ears, and scalp--the brushing will give you a whole new reference point on a scale of 1 to 10...

#288677 - 04/10/18 12:31 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: UncleGoo]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
UncleGoo,

You are so correct about the torture of the daily debriefing. I had the pleasure of spending 3 days in a local burn ward, after receiving second and 3 degree on my face, neck, and arms. (Never stick your face into a ongoing explosion of low flammability solvent!)

I remember two surreal moments. . .

In the ER, being in acute pain and feeling the unique pain of second degree burns AND being doused with iced saline. . .(freezing and burning at the same time) and

Daily debridement with scrub brushes. Darn that really hurt! If I knew then what I know now as an RN, I would have insisted on a dissociative anesthetic like ketamine.

You are so correct my friend!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.