Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2875 - 12/02/01 07:32 AM ? Old Bald Guy
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Driving home tonight at rush hour ( doing my safe and sane 65mph in the slow lane while cell phone junkies blew by at 85 with a latt'e in the other hand), it occured to me we spend so much time in cars. I have the usual first aid kit, extinquisher,orange triangles,blanket,food,water and glow in the dark Saint Christopher. We have people go over the canyon sides regularly (Im in Ventura California). Sometimes never to be found until a brush fire years later. What else is worthwhile?

#2876 - 12/02/01 02:49 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have only helped out in one serious accident. I was the first one at the wreck. I have had a fair amount of first aid training in my life. The driver had pretty profound injuries but was breathing and unconcious. No copious external bleeding.<br><br>The car was wrapped around her and steam was comming up from underneath. My biggest fear was that fire would break out and I would have to make a decision to try to move her. This lead me to the following conclusions. <br><br> I didn't have a fire extinguisher, but I needed one. I also needed a large pry bar, cell phone, hammer or punch to break windows, and an emergency knife in the car to cut seatbelts. <br><br>I personally fear being trapped in a car wreck. I have though about buying one of the all in one contraptions or the seatbelt cutter thing. I know how nervous cops get when they find a big knife in the car. They get shown too many edged weapon films in training, so I know I need to replace it with something nonthreatening.

#2877 - 12/02/01 03:52 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

For me, my aging minivan is essentially an "escape pod." I keep my biggest FA kit in the car, since I figure that is where I will most likely need it. Also food, sleeping bag, folding saw, hatchet (will work fine for busting windows and chopping through sheet metal). I can cut through seat belt webbing with either my multitool knife or even the blade on my Micra, which is carried on my keyring. I don't bother with a fire extinguisher. More useful in the first aid category would be a short backboard with appropriate straps, for quick extrication, as well as a passerby to help with the job.<br>

#2878 - 12/02/01 08:21 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Other than all of the stuff you mentioned, a way to signal the road when you are over the side would be nice. I have been involved many times in looking for someone who is over the side and on the cell phone with my dispatch. They NEVER have a clue where they are, so we usually end up driving "code three," and dispatch will ask them if they hear the siren. Usually their cell batteries die before they hear us. I have always thought that, in addition to a good light for signalling at night, if one of those canned air horns might be heard by someone up on the road. A can of common sense would be nice too, but no one sells those yet.

#2879 - 12/02/01 09:57 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thanks! I actually suggested the airhorn some time ago on the forum. I came upon an Amtrak derailment last year and was one of only two who stopped :O( . I had just purchased four bulk packages of 16oz bottled water. Once the traffic was cleared, ambulances, Highway cruisers and Fire Units on scene, and people evacuated from the wreckage,WATER was on everybodies mind. I was one popular guy!

#2880 - 12/03/01 01:21 AM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I'll bet you were. Having survived working the Coalinga dust crash on I-5, I can tell you that the first two things needed in a situation like that are water and porta potties. Kinda hard to carry one of those in your trunk, but the water is great. It has always amazed me how unprepared most people are. I'n not talking full blown survival kits, just blankets in the winter, water all the time, a simple road map...people like that are job security for people like us...

#2881 - 12/03/01 04:58 AM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Surprisingly enough, I don't recall anyone ever being trapped by a seat belt where exiting the vehicle was real important. I do know of several times, one another officer, where the car went into the water and guess what, those neato power windows don't work anymore. The officer was down to a little air pocket which was getting smaller by the second when he shot out a side window. Hard on the ears. Anyone with power windows should have a spring loaded center punch velcro'd under the dash or some other handy location...

#2882 - 12/03/01 02:55 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder how well an unfolded multitool would work to punch out a window? or would it be more effective if the closed pliers were the impact point? I feel undressed if I don't have my L-tool on my belt..

#2883 - 12/03/01 08:47 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Me too, I always have my Super Tool with me...made a pouch to hold it and a spare mag for my Kahr. Any sharp tool will shatter a tempered window, even keys held between fingers with a sharp punch (it's gonna hurt your hand, but at that point who cares). Using a multi tool, my guess that, other than the knife blade, the awl or phillips would work. Spring loaded center punches work best, requiring less force/strength to do the job. You can use them under water, something that will be hard to do with a striking type tool, since the water will slow down your blowl.

#2884 - 12/04/01 02:14 PM Re: ? Old Bald Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

A nonthreatening and very effective seat belt cutter is one of those letter openers that are about the size of business card with a razor blade hidden inside. <br><br>http://www.safetycentral.com/emeswinpunse.html<br>Is an example of those seat belt cutters.<br><br>Use your favorite search engine and type in SEAT BELT CUTTER. The item costs about $5-$6. A window punch about the size of a normal writing pen is about the same cost. Get a bit of the adhesive backed velcro and velcro the seat belt cutter to your visor. <br><br>That way it is easy to see and reach in an accident. You could put the window punch in the same place.<br><br>An alternate is the Life Hammer. It is a plastic hammer shaped devise with a built in seat cutter and a metal tip for breaking windows. Cost more, are heavier, bulkier and require more space to store and use than a window punch.<br><br>If you are concerned about getting out of a sinking car, here are a few tips. Roll down the window. You can either exit through the window or it will allow the interior to fill with water equalizing the pressure in and out of the car. Then the door can be opened and you can swim out. Power windows will work for several minutes after a vehicle has been submerged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.