Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#288206 - 02/18/18 03:08 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So a little on topic and a little off... Mentioning Old Hickory kitchen knives takes me back to my childhood. We had a full set of Old Hickory (not dishwasher safe) knives in the kitchen and they were used and kept very sharp -- a thin 1095 blade can take an excellent edge.

When I was on Amazon recently finding that stainless Damascus blade (AUS10 core up-thread) I looked at the Zwilling EUROLINE Carbon Collection... and while it’s difficult for me to justify spending that on a blade, I was amused by comments regarding the knife rusting. Zwilling’s Euroline were designed by Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer and are made in Seki, Japan using of all things 52100 carbon steel. That is an excellent blade steel but stainless it is not. Those are not knives you can use, abuse and put away wet.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that carbon kitchen knives need to develop a (black’ish, dark gray) patina. For any carbon steel kitchen knife I recommend cutting a lot of onions and getting the “juice” all over the blade. Allow the patina to develop, it’s a good thing. $.02

PS: speaking of rust, my OH found a kitchen tool from her past used for tenderizing meat. It looks like a hatchet with multiple dull blades and time has taken its toll -- surface rust, no pitting. Fortunately it comes apart with a wing nut, so I’ll be cleaning it up with a sanding block before finding a better way to store it.

Edited by Russ (02/18/18 03:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Added the PS among other wording issues

#288207 - 02/18/18 04:33 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of my cherished heirloom items is the 12" chef knife that belonged to my grandfather, hardwood handle, nondescript steel, no markings, but still takes an edge and has a patina that won't quit. It has done a lot of onions in its day. All I have to do is make sure it is dry before putting it back in the drawer.

#288208 - 02/18/18 11:00 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It doesn't look like Old Hickory still make the model of knife that I bought 30+ years ago. It's a 6 inch blade butcher knife, I think ... with plenty of patina built-up over those years without onions. Well, OK, I'm sure it tasted onions.

#288209 - 02/18/18 11:45 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

FWIW, Ontario has an Old Hickory 7" Butcher on Amazon. There’s a 7” Ka-Bar sheath you can buy separately.

#288210 - 02/19/18 02:03 AM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
Was it just my imagination? my incompetence at sharpening? or was there really something about that Buck knife? Are they better now? To this day I have a sweet spot in my heart for Buck ... but still won't buy one.

I have had a parade of Buck knives (and *koff* a few others as well) over the years. Most of them are decent, but there have been a few turkeys (400-grade-tent-peg-sludge) as well.

I had the same issue with a couple of Leathermans also. The steel didn't match the price. Leatherman has indulged my grumpiness (so far).

So yes, I think it's entirely possible you encountered a bad heat treatment, or the first of a new run, or experiments with different steel.

The good news is that the 420HC that Buck uses now (and Leatherman also) is perfectly serviceable. Not brag-worthy, but it certainly does the job for me.

My suggestion: if you still have that blade, send it back to Buck and tell them the same story you told us. They may just surprise you.

#288211 - 02/19/18 06:53 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually,just about any knife will do, provided you put a decent edge on it. Probably ought to have about a 4 to 5 inch blade. A variety of styles are available.

Consider the Buck 110, definitely a good (iconic!) hunting knife, which would be useful prepping food as well. One internet source has the standard model for $45, various others ranging up to $200(S30V steel!) and a cheapo model for $25 (nylon handle). You pays your money and takes your choice...It will process a deer and chop your carrots (after a careful cleaning, of course.

And Buck is no fly by night company

#288212 - 02/19/18 07:04 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
In my opinion, knives are one of those areas where the old "80/20" rule applies.

You get about 80% of the functionality for about the first 20% of the cost. Beyond that you pay increasingly more and more, for smaller and smaller incremental improvements.

#288214 - 02/19/18 07:59 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: AKSAR]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
In my opinion, knives are one of those areas where the old "80/20" rule applies.

You get about 80% of the functionality for about the first 20% of the cost. Beyond that you pay increasingly more and more, for smaller and smaller incremental improvements.

I see your point AKSAR. In fact, that's the exact same system I apply when purchasing fine wines and spirits. Above a certain quality level, and corresponding price point, it becomes markedly harder to discern improvements.

It would take a true connoisseur to fully appreciate the difference between a 50$ bottle of wine and a 500$ one. To the largest part of drinking community, they're both simply good booze... grin

Now, if only I could find that sweet spot and get the Highland Park 12y of knives... cool

#288215 - 02/19/18 08:02 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: hikermor]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
The Buck 110 seems a good choice, thanks!

#288218 - 02/19/18 08:22 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I can’t seem to find a folder that’s good in the kitchen. Something about meat, veggies and liquids getting into the folding & locking mechanism. Folders are great for convenience of carry, but beyond that, fixed blades only.

BTW, that cheap Mora Classic No.1 does a fine job on onions. Not my best onion knife, but totally acceptable.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.