Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#288282 - 03/01/18 04:02 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Russ
Hikermora’s LMF is available on Amazon.

This forum should be officialy declared a financial hazard!

Every item mentioned in this or other threads is very well worth of purchasing. Unfortunately, my credit card is not linked to a bottomless bank account...

I hope to develop some kind of self defence machanism over time...

#288284 - 03/01/18 04:28 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Good luck with that

#288285 - 03/01/18 04:41 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Montanero, thank you very much! That is quite flattering...I would propose that they modify the Robust (or the Companion Heavy Duty), putting a ferro rod in the handle a la the LMF. I now they have models that include a ferro rod attached to the scabbard, but I really like the rod as part of the knife itself.

#288286 - 03/01/18 04:45 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: albusgrammaticus
Originally Posted By: Russ
Hikermora’s LMF is available on Amazon.

This forum should be officialy declared a financial hazard!

Every item mentioned in this or other threads is very well worth of purchasing. Unfortunately, my credit card is not linked to a bottomless bank account...

I hope to develop some kind of self defence machanism over time...

Don't worry. After all, we are only proposing the purchase of absolutely critical essentials, critically vital to bare survival during absolutely adverse circumstances...What better way to spend money??

#288287 - 03/01/18 06:50 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
The Mora Kansbol has the same blade configuration as the Mora 2000.

My own personal favorite Mora is the Robust. It doesn't have a very long blade (3-5/8"), but I think I like it because the slightly thicker blade just feels better - instilling a bit more confidence in it. Not to mention it costs less than $20!! Amazing!!!!

Mine is the Robust High Q which is a much different knife from the standard Robust. As far as I know, it is no longer being manufactured but it is very similar to the Companion. I just preferred the handle shape of these blades. They are a great second tool option with a heavier blade or as a standalone blade if you are going out for extended periods.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/featured/feature.cfm?feature=9

#288288 - 03/01/18 07:11 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For those still looking, the Mora Robust High Q is also available on Amazon. It’s almost identical to the Mora Companion HD -- blade length, thickness and blade/handle profile samo-samo. The color is different, but they could easily have come from the same mold. I like this because it means I don’t need to buy one wink

#288289 - 03/01/18 10:55 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The thicker Mora blades aren't much fun for food prep, which is the OP's interest.

I have a stainless Frost's/Mora Clipper/Companion, the thinner one, that would cover both bases adequately. Especially if you take it to a guy with a belt sander and smooth off the hard angle at the top of the Scandi-grind. That would make it equivalent to the Chef knives in most restaurant kitchens, which are thicker than consumer knives in order to last a long time despite weekly mechanized sharpening.

BTW, I know several guys who like a Mora/Rapala/Frost's 6-inch fillet knife as their go-to kitchen prep knife. Sharp, handy, and manly.

#288291 - 03/02/18 05:28 AM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There is a good review of the Morakniv Bushcraft at thetruthaboutknives.com/. Good detail on knife construction and how well it holds up.

#288293 - 03/02/18 09:37 AM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess I'll be the wet blanket! wink Bear in mind that this comes from my being a chef by trade, so it may not apply to everyone. But to me the attributes that make a knife good for bushcraft are not the same ones that make a good kitchen knife. Again, this is based on my experience as a chef. A professional cook will hold the knife in a pinch grip, thumb and forefinger on the sides of the blade. Cuts will usually be made in a slicing motion or by rocking the blade tip-to-heel. Generally the latter is the method by which most chopping is done, and that technique is predicated on having the traditional chef knife profile.

Still any knife can cut food! I would prefer a thin blade and ideally not a scandi grind (for food). It probably goes without saying that while I love burning fatwood I would rather not have pine resin in my food!

Even though the Scandi grind isn't ideal for food I do love Mora knives. They're towards the cheap and cheerful end of the price spectrum yet they're high quality and will do most anything you need to do. Recently I purchased a used Mora Garberg at a price I couldn't resist. While it's expensive for a Mora, my initial impressions are that it still offers a great value for what you pay!

#288294 - 03/02/18 02:27 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Phaedrus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Phaedrus, you're not a wet blanket. You are absolutely correct. For slicing meat and large veggies/fruit I also think a longer stainless steel blade does better than a carbon blade - I'd mentioned that earlier in this thread. The good news is that Mora stainless steel blades are great slicers - very easy to sharpen!!

For chopping onions, green peppers, and the like I prefer the chef knife like wide blade - so the edge is far below the handle. There aren't many outdoor knives like that that I know of.

If you're looking for a "paring knife" then I think most any shorter narrow blade will cover that task, but I still would prefer stainless steel for kitchen work due to the sanitation needs.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.