Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#288295 - 03/02/18 03:34 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
“Great” is a relative term. A great slicer will be thin stock and have a flat grind. A Mora can be an okay slicer in the field, but you will never see one in the hands of a serious chef/cook. Using a Mora for food prep in the field is understandable, but it is a compromise to avoid carrying to many different blades.

While at REI recently I found of all things an MSR Alpine Chefs Knife. Something to consider before thinking a Mora is a great slicer.

#288296 - 03/02/18 03:51 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agreed -Phaedrus is not a wet blanket. It is really great to have a professional opinion - very insightful...

Now for an amateur viewpoint. My slicing is much less extensive, being confined to slicing the wrapper that encases the goody that will be popped into the microwave. Depending on how hungry I am, anything from bare teeth to a nice sharp knife will work.

Stainless vs. carbon steel?? Does it really make a difference? Is blade thickness really that important, compared to a sharp edge?

The viewpoint of a Neanderthal who hasn't quite given up on stone tools...

#288297 - 03/02/18 04:52 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Phaedrus]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I guess I'll be the wet blanket! wink

Life would be boring without an heartful debate now and then! grin

Thank you very much for you professional insight.

Obviously, a true professional would never settle with something less than the perfect tool for the job. A chef's knife would certainly be the first choice in an ideal setting, i.e. my home, but the blade I'll use would be toted around for hours in a cramped space, and I would like something a bit less bulky and heavy, that can also be used for other purposes as well, if the need arises.

For example, during our getaways my friends and I use frequently knives to cut long stretches of heavy duty plastic wrap, the type that comes in those industrial rolls used to wrap pallets. We combine them side by side, then tie them to a balcony on one end and a fence on the other, to make a makeshift, waterproof roof for our courtyard during rainy days. It works wonderfully!
We use our pocket knives for this job, but I think a Mora would slice through the heavy duty plastic like butter.

#288298 - 03/02/18 04:54 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Russ
“Great” is a relative term. A great slicer will be thin stock and have a flat grind. A Mora can be an okay slicer in the field, but you will never see one in the hands of a serious chef/cook. Using a Mora for food prep in the field is understandable, but it is a compromise to avoid carrying to many different blades.

That's exactly my understanding, Russ.

#288300 - 03/02/18 07:55 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I did actually do this, during a recent overland trip in S. America. I used a kitchen knife, with a blade of about 4-5 inches. But a blade with a good strong spine ... Like a German steak knife. The idea worked very well.

#288307 - 03/03/18 03:58 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
Phaedrus, you're not a wet blanket. You are absolutely correct.

Agreed! This has been a very useful discussion for me.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.