Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#288223 - 02/19/18 10:47 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Per Russ's valid point about getting goo inside the folding mechanism, there is also a fixed blade version available, the 101, I believe (named after the highway??)

AKSAR is right on target with his 80/20 observation. It applies to lots of stuff. I always claimed that 80 per cent of the work done by NP park staff was caused by 2% of the visitors - ratio is a little different, but same principle....

#288226 - 02/19/18 11:31 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There’s an old saying that is appropriate -- “Better is the enemy of good enough”.

For many applications, the $11 Mora Classic #1 is “good enough”. “Better” costs a lot more money.

#288255 - 02/26/18 07:46 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Onions didn’t work fast enough in putting a patina on that $11 Mora Classic and I was thinking why didn’t the patina I expected develop? ... warmth and humidity. I was on a South Pacific island when this technique worked so well. So I warmed the blade over my kettle while boiling water for coffee. The blade became warm and had warm water on it. Then I wrapped it in a paper towel soaked in a little apple cider vinegar, set it aside and drank my coffee. When I saw it again the paper towel had a reddish discoloration which was concerning, but it was just the paper.

The steel had the gray patina I was hoping for, so I washed it, dried it and then treated it with Camellia Seed Oil, which is also referred to as Camellia oleifera and Tea Seed Oil (not Tea Tree Oil). From what I’ve read, it’s food grade so should be suitable for a carbon steel knife used in preparing food and is also used on woodworking tools in Japan. FWIW, $.02

#288268 - 02/28/18 05:45 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Regardless of already having been answered, back to the original Q -- There are so many good answers. The Morakniv Kansbol may also be worth considering. The blade profile has thinner stock on the forward end of the blade and a different edge profile -- it should slice better than the scandi edge on the rear half of the blade. With the Kansbol you get both a scandi edge which may work better for bushcraft and a more traditional edge profile for slicing veggies and meat. $.02

#288274 - 03/01/18 07:05 AM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Russ
The Morakniv Kansbol may also be worth considering.

Thank you Russ. I was not aware of such "dual edge" Mora. Very worth considering.

I look forward to bring a few knives on my next hiking/barbecuing weekend, and make a report on this forum afterwards, to share how they performed.

Just wishful thinking for now, alas. It's snowing outside my window as I write, Europe being caught in a Siberian cold snap...

#288275 - 03/01/18 11:02 AM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The Mora Kansbol has the same blade configuration as the Mora 2000.

My own personal favorite Mora is the Robust. It doesn't have a very long blade (3-5/8"), but I think I like it because the slightly thicker blade just feels better - instilling a bit more confidence in it. Not to mention it costs less than $20!! Amazing!!!!

#288278 - 03/01/18 02:35 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

There is a Mora Companion model with thicker stock also - Mora Companio Heavy Duty. 4.1” blade length, .125” thick.

#288279 - 03/01/18 02:57 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another devoted Mora fan here. Maybe my handle should be "hikermora? Anyway, the Mora I am really fond of is the LMF version that has a ferro rod firmly attached to the handle. So I have a capable basic knife with good fire starting capability. I recently used mine for about ten days routinely firing up our propane stove for all meals - worked like a charm starting fires and was handy for slicing and dicing.

I am not sure they are still in production - REI sold off their stock at a discount (list price is $36 - quite a bit for a Mora).

#288280 - 03/01/18 03:16 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Hikermora’s Mora LMF is available on Amazon. What color do you want? I’m thinking red or orange as a reminder that it’s the fire version; OTOH my other emergency gear is yellow.

I’d never looked at the Mora LMF closely, but from the picture it looks like 1 1/2” of the tip has a thinner edge profile and it starts out with thinner stock overall so should slice okay.
Quote:
Blade Tip
The Swedish FireKnife blade has a special profile-ground tip that allows it to carve thin slices and perform the most delicate camp food preparation all while being robust enough for the toughest camp chores.

Kitchen and emergency back-up? It’s not like I don’t have a few heavier knives and other sharps for heavy cutting. Yellow.

Edited by Russ (03/01/18 03:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Added quote

#288281 - 03/01/18 03:18 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

They should name a model for you Hikermor!

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.