Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#288112 - 02/05/18 02:58 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I used the Scandi grind for hunting, fishing and camp kitchen with good success for many years. I was also good to fillet a trout or even bait fish. The brand I used was Martinii (has nice birch handle).
I switch to an other type of knife when I wanted to have a handmade knife desperately needed a knife with a droppoint blade and laminated scandinavian birch handle.
For kitchen knives Fiedr. Dick https://www.dick-messer.de/ is a good German brand. They have professional grade knives for good prices. Some of the portfolio might fit your budget.

Edited by M_a_x (02/05/18 03:17 PM)
Edit Reason: added paragraph for kitchen knives

#288113 - 02/05/18 02:59 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
TBS knives are also made in the EU sold here in the UK

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-knives--350-c.asp

#288114 - 02/05/18 03:41 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
FWIW, my camp knives aren't expensive or glamorous. For the past few months, I've been using a Camillus Les Stroud Arctic or one of my Moras. The LMF is a good kitchen knife for me, and the others work, but I also keep a little $3 Betty Crocker stainless steel pairing knife in my cook kits, specifically for food prep.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#288115 - 02/05/18 04:11 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: M_a_x]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Thank you M_a_x, it's conforting to know that such a knife could perform well in all these roles.

It gives me more reasons to justify the expense... whistle

#288116 - 02/05/18 04:15 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: Ren]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Ren,
TBS knives were already in my "most wanted" list, especially the Boar and Lynx models, both of which seem to meet my expectations perfectly.

#288117 - 02/05/18 04:26 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: bacpacjac]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Thanks bacpacjac,

you are the voice of reason here. I'm aware that a cheap Mora is the perfect knife in the field: sharp, reliable, lightweight and so inexepensive you wouldn't make a big fuss if it got broken or lost.

But I seem to suffer from a condition that I think many other members here share: the fascination for an object that is both functional and beautiful. Something that could last many years and enter in the family's memories and heritage.

#288118 - 02/05/18 04:30 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
After thinking a bit, I went out to the garage to get my Morakniv Classic No 1 which I’m going to try out as a steak knife, maybe chicken, maybe veggies. It has a thin .08” (2 mm) blade thickness and a nice edge so should do a nice job for food prep. Definitely needs to be cleaned up though, smells like gun oil wink

#288119 - 02/05/18 04:42 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
10 dollar horse and 40 dollar saddle

7'' old hickory butcher knife. Make or buy your own sheath. And the 1095 steel should work as a flint striker?

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-702...customerReviews

Love this review on Amazon

"After having read most of the reviews on this knife, and seeing some videos about it being repurposed for a sort of bush knife, I went ahead and ordered one, just because ...

(Inner voice: "What the heck, it's eleven bucks.")

I have to admit ... when this knife was delivered I was very disappointed on a variety of counts. The grind was ridiculously poor. It was so crude with burrs that when I attempted to slice carrots with it, it was more of a saw than a knife edge. Further, the scales weren't even symmetrical; one was longer than the other.

(Inner voice: "Well, it was eleven bucks. Live and learn.")

I spent an evening in my chair observing it in my hands, turning it over and over and thinking.

(Inner voice: "Well, it IS 1095 carbon steel ... and after all it was only eleven bucks.")

That night, I wrapped it in paper towel and dowsed it with apple cider vinegar and then wrapped that in plastic wrap. I left it on the counter overnight to put a patina on the steel. The next morning when I unwrapped it, it was black with oxidation. A good wipe down left it an aged gray and looking much sweeter. After the wood had dried, I rubbed in some oil.

(Inner voice: "For eleven bucks, this thing is kind of cool now. I kind of like that the scales are uneven. It's ... unique.")

A few days later, I spent an enjoyable, slow, cathartic two hours with a two sided oil stone and put an edge on it that only 1095 carbon can brag about. When finished, it aced the paper and the hair shaving tests. I rubbed in a few more coats of oil into the scales, and then a light coating of oil on the steel. By then I had developed an odd affection, even a love affair with it. Sitting in my chair, turning it over and over again, I realized exactly why there were so many great reviews. It really is a good piece of steel; it's nostalgic-looking, crude but elegant, old-timey ... and it took me to get it to that state of grace.

(Inner voice: "I can't believe this great knife was only eleven bucks!")

Finally, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Ka-Bar 7" leather sheath for it, because any fixed blade you carry needs a good sheath.

(Inner voice: "I can't believe I paid sixteen bucks for a knife that cost me eleven bucks.)

Moral of the story ... for under twenty dollars, and if you are willing to make this into a real cutting tool, you too can discover the endorphin-producing euphoria of falling in love with an Old Hickory, and press it into service on your belt. Sure, it's no high dollar, exotic wood, custom made bush craft model (that you're almost hesitant to use because it's too pretty.) But, it's practical, it's sharp, it's made in the USA and it's all yours.

Outer voice: "And it's ELEVEN BUCKS."

Edited by clearwater (02/05/18 04:43 PM)

#288120 - 02/05/18 04:49 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Heh, ok.

Guess you're aware of Varusteleka's knives?

Knives are no frills, but would get a leather dangler sheath with in the budget.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-carbon-steel/56524

Edited by Ren (02/05/18 04:56 PM)

#288121 - 02/05/18 05:11 PM Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? [Re: albusgrammaticus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm with clearwater -- Old Hickory would be a good choice for a "double duty" knife. They even make a French Chef style (called the Old Hickory Cook Knife"):

https://averageoutdoorsman.com/legendary-ontario-knife-company-old-hickory-cook-knife-returns/

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.