The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#288144 - 02/08/18 10:43 PM Re: Radios, gas, and first responders [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That points more to the competency of the driver than the dependability of cell phones.

#288149 - 02/09/18 03:07 PM Re: Radios, gas, and first responders [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My point though was to the radio ability to broadcast where a cell phone you have to know who your trying to call.

#288562 - 03/30/18 06:32 PM Re: Radios, gas, and first responders [Re: chaosmagnet]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Two comments come to mind.

Chaosmagnet: FCC rules do permit the use of ANY frequency in a life threatening situation. I totally understand your point about using emergency frequencies as I was once an EMS dispatcher. Not to mention, most public systems today are digital using APCO or Pro-voice and encryption. My suggestion is to preface the call with "Please hold the frequency for emergency traffic" or "Mayday,Mayday,Mayday. . ." and then proceed. (just a humble suggestion from a fellow ham as well.)

Cellphones: Granted, there are a lot of areas where they are ineffective for a variety of reason. IF one could afford it, keeping a satellite phone handy, would fix much of that especially if one is in sparsely populated areas.

K0WHH

#288568 - 03/30/18 08:03 PM Re: Radios, gas, and first responders [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You're absolutely right, WesleyH, but if you have a working cellphone (as I did during the experience I related in the original post) you should use that over public safety radio frequencies wherever possible.

Where I was, and where I live (different places), the transition to digital radio for public safety is very slow, or hasn't begun.

I'm not in a place where it makes sense for me to buy a satellite radio. I'm still thinking about buying an InReach but I haven't done it yet.

#288572 - 03/30/18 08:42 PM Re: Radios, gas, and first responders [Re: chaosmagnet]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Absolutely correct my friend.

Cell Phone is preferable to licensed emergency radio use. I was considering the situation described above wherein a cellphone did not work due to presumably being in a mountainous area. (which might also limit EMS communications as well.

The problem with sat phone is the outrageous cost, which is not an option for most people.

The only reason I shied away from InReach, is the question of response time.. I am not familiar enough with it, or those who have used it to be able to offer much input on it.

The scenario reminded me of Bruce Willis in Die Hard, where he is using a police radio (talk about taking liberties with reality! and on a terrorist radio to boot!) and the female dispatcher is telling him it is a police frequency. . .

His response. . . "$%^&*+{: Arrest ME!" Too funny.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.