Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288021 - 01/25/18 11:21 PM Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-91/202585548

This is representative ofa pry bar set which is readily available at lots of outlets. I am putting it up because having one of these can save a good blade a lot of grief. They are quite cheap and weigh very little,if that is a factor. My experience is that they are worth having around.

I do a fair amount of digging, going after archaeological materials and the occasional fossil and I find tese handy, especially the largest in situations where I might other wise be digging with a perfectly good knife in the dirt, prying up lids, and similar tasks. The smaller ones are quite handy around camp, again saving wear and tear on a nice knife.

If I could have just one tool, it would be a good sturdy, tough knife but if I am not so restricted, one of these would find it way into my pack...

This is inspired by Montanero's post in the "new knife" thread in which he discusses really extreme knife usage and the brands that stand up to such usage. An actual prybar can save you a lot of time and money...And of course they can be modified for specific purposes very easily and cheaply.

#288022 - 01/25/18 11:59 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That’s a nice set and the price is right. If I didn’t already have all those pry bars (Stanley or Vaughn) I’d buy that set, it’s on-the-shelf at the local HD.

The Stanley FUBAR Demolition Bar is another good choice, but it’s not on the shelf at Home Depot.

#288026 - 01/26/18 03:54 AM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I do carry a small pry bar when I can afford the weight. I have a couple in my vehicle. Yes, I admit that I have abused knives in the past. Yes, I admit that a previous experience has caused me to POSSIBLY overreact in my acquisition of knives.

Hi, my name is Montanero and I am a knife addict. I began my habit after breaking perfectly good knives by using them for things that they were not intended to be used for.

#288028 - 01/26/18 04:36 AM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Hi, my name is Montanero and I am a knife addict. I began my habit after breaking perfectly good knives by using them for things that they were not intended to be used for.

Hi, Montanero!

#288029 - 01/26/18 04:52 AM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I was looking over some of my blades and wondering at their fate in your hands, Montanero. I have a Kabar, 4"blade, 1/8" thick, full tang obviously, because the tang is the handle (scales are optional), D2 steel. What would one have to do to this knife to trash it? If I putit in my vise and hit it with a sledge hammer, I think the vise would give way first, but you have seriously, and for good cause, broken some pretty stout stuff. What does it take? )Inquiring minds want to know...)

I also have a Buck 105 which is stated to have a full tang. Did you stress any Bucks? I am not going to hammer on this particular blade because I have had it for 46 years - sentimental value. I know it can do more than spread peanut butter...

#288033 - 01/26/18 12:58 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The old Kabars were not full tang.

I drop tested a Buckmaster from 6 feet onto concrete and it broke into 3 pieces. It was owned by a Navy SEAL and we compared my Gerber BMF and his Buckmaster. My Gerber BMF did not break.

Putting a knife in a vise and hitting it with a sledgehammer is about the only thing I did not do. I pounded knives into a wood fence post and then stood on the handle, jumping up and down, I pounded the BMF into a crack in some rocks and then hung three grown men on a rope around the handle, I stabbed them through car doors and then tested sharpness. That was all testing, and my Gerber BMF and Cold Steel Recon Tanto both held up.

The Kabars I broke and bent in the field were from prying and cutting through doors, digging or opening Soviet type ammo cans and boxes.

I never broke a Buck folder, they were pretty tough. But I never tested it either.

#288034 - 01/26/18 01:49 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Very informative and interesting! I have placed knife blade pitons in rocks, but never an actual knife. Your real world results are really helpful.

#288035 - 01/26/18 02:23 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: hikermor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Are titanium pry bars avaiable? Is it a good choice?
qjs

#288036 - 01/26/18 02:39 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Do a search for “titanium pry bars” on Amazon and you’ll get an assortment. Not cheap...

The titanium pry bar I use is from CountyComm - CountyComm Titanium Widgy Pry Bars
The 2” model is good for a key-ring, opening lids and other small stuff to save your nails.

#288037 - 01/26/18 02:39 PM Re: Tactical Survival Sharpened Prybar [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

How hard and flexible is titanium?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.