Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287999 - 01/23/18 09:27 PM M 7.9 quake in Gulf of Alaska
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
We had an earthquake "wake up call" early this morning in Alaska from an M 7.9 quake out in the Gulf of Alaska. My wife and I were woken up from a sound sleep by the cell phone emergency alert for a tsunami warning. Due to the local geography/hydrography Anchorage isn't threatened by tsunamis, but most of coastal Alaska is. The warning system seemed to work quite well. People in most threatened areas got the warning and evacuated to higher ground. As it turned out, this was a strike slip quake, which doesn't (usually) generate a tsunami, so the warning was quickly downgraded. Overall, the whole system of cell phone and media alerts, sirens, etc seemed to work well to get the warning out in a timely manner, with some exceptions (see below).

One note about cell phone emergency alerts. There is an FCC requirement that cell providers must be able to issue emergency alerts, and the larger providers can do this. However, this requires some technical upgrades to the hardware, and some smaller providers have been given more time to comply. A friend of mine who uses one of these providers DID NOT get the alert! It is worth checking to see if your cell provider can do this.

Local press report: Lucky break: 7.9 quake in Gulf of Alaska was type that doesn’t usually generate big tsunamis

#288005 - 01/24/18 01:41 AM Re: M 7.9 quake in Gulf of Alaska [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was taking a bathroom breat about 2 AM and tuned in the Weather Channel; they were streaming news about your 7.9 and giving the ETAs for arrival of the waves at various ports along the west coast. I noted that we would get hit around 5:30AM, if a tsunami actually resulted from the quake. They explicitly pointed out that the warning could be changed as more information was available.

I was glad for the timely notification. I take it that Denali is no higher, but Los Angeles might be a bit closer to Anchorage? It did seem a bit more chilly this morning....

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.