The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#288039 - 01/26/18 02:56 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay, the 940-1 arrived — it’s nice. At this point I’ll accept the reviews re S90V edge-holding, no need to ruin a nice knife. As for EDC, the carbon-fiber BM940 is noticeably lighter than my green aluminum BM940 and way lighter than the Ti version.

Some reviews make note of CF being warmer than Al which is good when it’s cold. The handle does feel warmer, but what I think is happening is that CF doesn’t transfer heat as efficiently as does aluminum, so even though the CF and Al handles are the same temp, the heat transfer difference makes the CF feel warmer. I think... $.02

#288065 - 01/27/18 09:00 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

Some years ago I heard about a study done by the Canadian Ministry of Transportation. They interviewed survivors of light aircraft crashes about what they had with them, what they used and what else they needed.

One of the things I remember was that your tools should be something you can deploy and use with your non-dominant hand because your dominant hand is frequently damaged in a crash. That says to me to skip the axe and have a folding saw with you. I can certainly use a saw in my left hand much better and more safely than any chopping tool.

Caveat: I have not been able to track down the study and I am not certain I remember all the details correctly.

BTW, one conclusion was that they would happily exchange two-thirds of what they had for more water.

#288102 - 02/04/18 11:31 PM Re: (a different) New knife [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I dropped by REI today to look at some gear and saw the Benchmade 535. I wasn’t totally unfamiliar, but had never had one in hand.

Despite its light weight (1.85oz. (52.45g)), the knife had a good feel, and with its fairly thin blade and handle, it carries very easily. S30V is no longer top-of-the-line, but it’s still pretty good knife steel. I’m not sure what the “grivory” handle is (GRP mixed with something?), but it feels good and is grippy enough. It’s not quite a full flat grind, but close enough — should be an excellent slicer.

Needless to say, it came home and is clipped to my pocket as I type. Not a safe queen.

#288104 - 02/05/18 02:11 AM Re: (a different) New knife [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I like S30V, Axis locks, Grivory, and this blade profile. Looks like a knife I would really like.

It’s...possible...that I’ve spent more money on knives recently than maybe would have been ideal.

#288105 - 02/05/18 03:33 AM Re: (a different) New knife [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Agree, the Benchmade Bugout is a keeper. BTW, Grivory is basically glass filled nylon. Benchmade Edge

#289563 - 06/22/18 04:53 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

All righty then ... another new knife and it’s the same as one of my current EDC knives except the new color is much more to my liking. The Benchmade Bugout 535GRY-1 is a nice and very lightweight knife. Thin stock (.09”) S30V blade, Grivory (glass reinforced nylon) handle and now in a color other than bright blue -- “Ranger green handles and a smoked gray, chromium nitride coated blade”. I really like the bright blue handle/bright SS model of this knife, not because of the color but because it carries so easy; overall it is thin at .42” and lightweight at 1.85oz. So yeah, I bought the new subdued color, much easier on the eyes.
Quote:
Designer: Benchmade
Mechanism: AXIS®
Action: Manual-opening
Blade Steel: CPMS30V (58-60 HRC)
Blade Length: 3.24" (8.23cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.090" (2.29mm)
Open Length: 7.46" (18.95cm)
Closed Length: 4.22" (10.72cm)
Handle Thickness: 0.42" (10.54mm)
Weight: 1.85oz. (52.45g)

Quote:
Grivory®:
An amorphous nylon copolymer with exceptional dimensional stability. 50% or greater glass fill.

#289658 - 06/26/18 04:46 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

All righty then, the Benchmade Bugout I ordered arrived and it looked perfect coming out of the box. Then I opened it and it has a partially serrated blade - I ordered plain edge because I always order plain. Checked the order form and receipt, all the paperwork clearly says plain, but the box has that “S” as in 535SGRY-1. So before I mail this knife back, what are the advantages and good reasons to have the serrations on an EDC knife. I’ve gone over this in my mind, but in an attempt to be an open-minded person wink I’m interested in why folks like partially serrated blades. Please, give me a valid reason to keep this knife. What is the advantage? TIA

#289659 - 06/26/18 07:21 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Like you, I prefer plain blades, kept nice and sharp. Serrated blades do cut rope and similar thick, fibrous materials better, though, on average.

Nothing wrong with a little diversity. I have some semi-serrated edges, as well.

#289660 - 06/26/18 07:30 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
In general, I like a plain blade.

In my opinion, serrated blades really only do one thing well, and that is cut rope or webbing. That makes them good for something like a rescue knife attached to a life jacket for rafting, kayaking, or boating. In that situation, by far the most likely use of the knife is to quickly cut free from entanglements in rope, web, fishing line, etc. When you are at risk for being pulled underwater, the small advantage of a serrated blade for cutting cordage is worth it. The only serrated blades I own are attached to PFDs.

For general use, a plain edge is by far more versatile, IMHO. If properly sharpened, it will cut rope/webbing almost as easily as a serrated blade. And a plain edge is vastly better for virtually everything else one might do with a knife.

That's my opinion. Others may differ.

#289664 - 06/26/18 07:46 PM Re: New knife - nice [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks to both responses. That’s been my experience also. I have two serrated knives — both are fully serrated with blunt tips. One is attached to my aviation survival vest and the other is in the console of my truck. I have the knife boxed up with label attached for its return trip — nice knife, just not for me.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.