Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#288007 - 01/24/18 10:41 AM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Russ wrote:
> What is Doug’s advice regarding hatchets specifically? Do you have > a link? Wondering, because I like axes and hatchets depending on > the situation. Is this a safety issue?

If you go to the home page and click on the 'Gear' section in the left hand side links, you can scroll down to 'No Axe to Grind'.
Really I'd advise everyone to read the links on the home page before coming to the forum. Unlike a lot of us: Doug is an expert.

This is the section in full:

'To the horror of many old time traditional outdoorsmen, I tend to avoid recommending hatchets and axes. It is so easy to seriously injure or cripple yourself using these tools that the risks outweigh the benefits, in my opinion. This is especially a problem if you are tired, cold or otherwise not in particularly great shape, not an unlikely possibility for any survivor. An axe or hatchet is not very forgiving of poor or sloppy technique, as many a person, experienced and not, has learned the hard and painful way. For the inexperienced survivor there isn't the time to learn how to safely use these tools, which have been known to bite even those with plenty of years handling them. A saw is simply safer.

An axe will also weigh a good deal more than even a combination of a Short-Kutt and a small hand saw or a tool such as the Leatherman Super-Tool which includes a small saw blade. If you are convinced an axe or hatchet is an absolute necessity, then you are probably experienced enough to select a good one. Without that experience, don't bother.

While some cannot fathom how one might perform many tasks without such tools, the fact is that many of the jobs an axe is well suited for can be done nearly as easily using alternate methods. For example, stripping the branches off a tree for insulation or shelter building can be easily accomplished with a "club" made from a short stout branch. If you slip or miss, the damage done is minimal. Using the old noggin is safer than using an axe or hatchet.' - DR

Personally I regard Kukri's as an even more dangerous hatchet. The handle is a blade.
qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (01/24/18 10:47 AM)

#288008 - 01/24/18 12:53 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

In a survival situation a saw is better. You can find them to fit any size survival kit and even when cutting large wood, it will expend less energy. You don't need large size wood or huge amounts of wood for survival anyway, a small fire is more efficient, safer and manageable. I would not recommend any multi tool or pocket knife that does not include a saw blade.

However, a tool is just a tool, and the dangerous part, even in Doug's words, is the user. Fatigue and lack of experience and confidence can lead to trouble. Any tool can be dangerous, even a screw driver. You use what you are comfortable using, and you use what you have in the situation. If you lack experience chopping and splitting wood you can always learn. I would recommend the methods taught in Boy Scouts. They are safe, even for kids, and I have taught many kids to chop wood without ever having a single accident or injury. If you learn it, and you end up needing to use an axe or hatchet, then you are less likely to injure yourself. Knowledge and practice are a big help.

#288009 - 01/24/18 02:13 PM Re: New knife [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In terms of weight, a saw beats a hatchet any time, for most applications. However, in terms of collecting firewood, there is an even more efficient solution - bare hands.

I have built a lot of wood fires over the years, some in emergency situations and some not, and I have never had a problem collecting enough wood barehanded. Long branches are shortened by stomping (stout boots help!). Dry pine needles, twigs, and small stuff are readily available on standing trees. No tools at all are required.

I have never understood the incessant discussions on batoning which strikes me as a completely unnecessary procedure and a good way to abuse a knife.

In recent years, I have built fewer and fewer fires. Small efficient stoves are safer and quicker and there are lots of options available.

Montanero's remarks emphasize that you must not only have a gadget, but also have the knowledge and experience to use said gadget safely and effectively. Build lots of fires before your life depends on it....

#288010 - 01/24/18 02:19 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
when I was a Scout there was not an "official" Scouting supplier in the area, so most of our camping equipment was from an army/navy source... Dad had brought back a folding machete from Burma, and that was my first big cutting tool, later an 18" GI Collins 1944 (until stolen)... today I still use a a cut down SA Collins (Guatemala made) and Tramontina bolo for minor trimming duties

#288011 - 01/24/18 02:27 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Your best firewood collecting method is you hands and feet, as Hikermor says. Other tools can help, but they are more for building shelter or other tasks. Even then a saw is likely more efficient and lighter.

With all of the talk about big knives, of which I possess many nice ones, the knife I actually use the most is my SAK Ranger. Yes, it has a saw blade and that saw blade gets used a lot.

#288012 - 01/24/18 03:11 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
There seems to be a source of advice I alone have access to.
Errrr... the links on the home page :-)

Doug on pocket chain saws:
' the link or chain saw style. The original of the this style was the Pocket ChainSaw (formerly known as the Short Kutt Pocket ChainSaw) by Supreme Products. Until recently, it was the only one available. Now, another chain style saw has debuted, the Saber Cut from Ultimate Survival (Survival, Inc.).

Both these saws perform essentially as a human powered chain saw. It is absolutely amazing how fast you can cut decent sized wood with these saws. Easy enough so that you can easily use it for constructing more secure shelter than might otherwise be possible.' - DR

There's also his opinion on wire saws, folding saws, SAK saws.....

qjs

#288013 - 01/24/18 03:47 PM Re: New knife [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually, that makes at least two of us that have referenced those pages. I agree that they are excellent references, especially with regard to general principles. When it comes down to cutting edge (ahem!) discussions of specific brands, some sections are dated (Leatherman, for example). This is not surprising, since changes and improvements are fairly rapid and it would be more than a full time job to remain current. Presumably that is where forum discussions come in.

For instance, there is no mention of Silky folding saws, which I prefer to the Gerber model, a tool that in my experience has been rather fragile...

#288014 - 01/24/18 04:07 PM Re: New knife [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a Fiskars folding saw in the truck and have had a Victorinox Rucksack model (among other large format SAK’s) for over a decade. The Fiskars saw is a great wood cutting tool for the light wood you’d use in a survival situation. Still, I’ve used axes in colder climates, you’ve got to know your limitations. FWIW.

#288015 - 01/24/18 04:18 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have used several of the pocket chain saws and they generally perform well. Some cut faster than others. They do have a tendency to break if the motion of the cutting is not kept straight. Any angle introduced during strenuous cutting can break the links.

Wire saws do not cut as well, but will work. Any binding on the wire blade will lock it up tight. It is best to push on the item being cut so as to open up the gap a little and allow the saw to move freely against the surface being cut.

There are many folding saws that a re a little bigger than what I would call pocket size (depends on the depth of your pockets). Most will cut wells, but as Hikermor says, there are some durability issues.

For larger logs a saw will cut efficiently with less effort than an axe. Small saws are good for notching wood for construction to strengthen your lashings. Saws are less efficient for lopping off smaller branches, skinning animals, scaling fish, carving or sharpening wood to make tools, cutting bamboo (yes we have it here, and a type of it is native). You need the right tool for the job at hand, and if you don't take it with you it will not be at hand. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Doug's opinion is a well informed and experienced one. It does not replace personal experience. You can read all of the blogs, watch all of the Youtube videos, read all of the books on survival, but you need to get out there and learn how to do it yourself. Nothing develops a skill better than practicing it before you get into an emergency situation.

#288019 - 01/24/18 10:22 PM Re: New knife [Re: gonewiththewind]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
In capable and experienced hands, there is nothing wrong with a hatchet or an ax for any bushcraft or survival situation.

In a lifetime of hatchet and ax use, I prefer the hatchet or even a small forest ax over any wire saw. One step up and compromise from a wire saw, is a good quality folding garden saw.

John Lubbock

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.